Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need of support

I was banded on June 6th. At my post op appointment I was down 12 lbs. Its been a roller coaster to say the least. I was doing okay and then when I hit regular food it was like the weight wanted to sneak back on. I don't get a fill until July 17th so I am afraid of gaining back all that I have lost. I am going to liquids again today to see if I can jumpstart the weight loss again. My husband is very supportive and is going to start going to the gym with me. I really hope and pray the lapband was the right decision for me. Without a fill and without seeing the scale moved it has been depressing to say the least. Can you give me some ideas on how you beat this "real food" thing before your first fill? How did you stay motiviated when you feel like you are on an island by yourself. Please help.

Julie,

It takes time for the weight to come off. Don't think that since you got the band the weight is going to just drop off of you. This is a tool and we need to use it as such. We need to work with it. You are taking the right step in going to the gym. That will help you tremendously. Just make sure you are eating the right things and exercising and you should start to notice a difference. You can do this!

Angie

Thanks Angie. I went back on liquids today to see if I can get another jump start. I also went for a nice walk this a.m. so I am hoping that if I can continue to do that it will jump start everything. Thanks for the support. I know I am eager. This weight didn't come on over night. smile.

The first six weeks or so (until you get a fill - normally) are for healing, not for losing weight although it can happen. It seems plausible that when you start eating normal food that you could gain or maintain weight. You don't have much restriction, yet. Do your best to keep the quantities small, chew well and keep asking yourself if you are full. The *yes* answer is difficult because we are used to eating it ALL! At this point, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I am one of those lucky ones that do not have a fill yet (8 weeks out). It may be awhile before I do because I am losing 1-2 lbs a week, and am not starving. I am hungry just before meals, but you're supposed to be hungry then. I eat normal sized bites and although I do try to chew well, I sometimes forget. How do I do it? Partly luck. I don't think I am doing anything special, though. I serve myself small portions on a small plate. I chew to goo (usually), and stop as soon as I even think I might have had enough. I tell myself that I can have the rest later, but so far I haven't.

Best of luck to you. Don't worry about your weight until you have a couple of fills under your belt. I think you are very normal. And, I wouldn't go back to liquids. You really need the Protein that real food gives you. liquid food goes down easily but I don't think it's good for you long term. Hmmmm. Just thought of something. You might check with your doctor, too. There may be some policy that they won't give you a fill unless you have been eating solids. My doc's office doesn't always give fills just because you might want one, but I don't know what the criteria is.

You are welcome Julie! Hang in there girl it will work.

I was one of the lucky ones I guess about the fill department. I didn't have one until six months out. I know its crazy but I was doing so well and losing weight constantly that I just thought if I am loosing then why get one? Well that day came to a skreeching hault and I havent lost since December. I am going to get another fill soon though.

Hopefully Julie you will keep that sensation of being full and can see where you are and know when the time is right to get a fill. We are here for you.

Angie

Thanks Angie. I will not give up. I know I'm a newbie and have a lot to learn, 1 of which is to stop when I am no longer hungry. Thanks again.

The time between surgery and the first fill is all about healing...I was told that any weight loss then is a bonus. I lost about 20 pounds on the liquid phase and then gained a few pounds back when I started "real" food. I guess I don't think it's a good idea to depend on liquids again to keep losing...the whole point of this is to be able to eat sensibly and a healthy well-balanced diet in small portions. Although having said that, I've thought about doing it too when the scale hasn't been moving! Just hang in there...when you get restriction you will lose. And remember that many people don't get restriction with their first or even second fills...it's different for everyone.

Best of luck with your journey!

Emily

Thanks Emily. I know everyone is different. Right now I am just trying to be my best friend and to keep my motivation up. I know this is a journey and not a destination.

You are in what is called "Bandster's Hell." It's the period between surgery and your first fill, when you are healing, but you start getting hungrier and hungrier as the swelling from surgery goes down. Don't worry about it too much, and don't try to lose a lot (or any) weight during this period. You may even gain a little. Your one concern should be letting your stomach heal. Once you start getting your fills, then you can focus on losing weight. Hang in there. You only have a couple more weeks to go.

I went by my surgeons office today and I'm up 5 lbs. They explained to me the band isn't working because I need a fill. I wish I knew more about this post op so I wouldn't bitch so much. I have to wait until July 17th for my fill. I also scheduled a 2nd which I can cancel if I don't need 2 wks after that. Wish me luck and thanks for the support. 7 lbs down is better than gaining I guess.