Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First consultation!!!!

Hey People...I've got my first ever consultation coming up on August 1st. I got to say that I am rather nervous. Can anyone tell me what to expect? or at least some words of encouragement. I believe that I will get approved for it, my BMI is a 40. But what concerns me alot, say I do get approved and everything how will my friends look at me when or if I tell them about doing the surgery? How did your friends and/or family react? I feel like I am going to get negative feedback from them...Thanks guys!:cry

Congratulations!

Every doc's first consult is probably a little different. I had to have previous medical records available and also met with his nutritionist and counselor. But everyone was very encouraging and friendly. Have questions ready for them if you have any. If for some reason your turned down, make sure you understand why. Is it because of insurance requirements or some type of medical problem?

As for telling friends, that is a personal choice. There is a thread here on that. I think it was titled "Who did you tell". I'm not too computer literate, someone here could tell you how to find that thread.

Best to you on your band journey

Terry :grouphug:

I told everyone and anyone that would listen, this school of thought is different from many people, the only one that really matters is your main support person, YOU..................................after I told everyone I have more support than you can imagine, its grt

Hello. My BMI is 40 and I went for it. During the consult the doctor told me all about the band, showed me the band, showed me pics of the surgery, talked about foods, restriction, it being a tool, etc. He was very helpful in me determining whether or not it was for me. Have a good time and enjoy all that you are learning. The work will come later.

Hello. My BMI is 40 and I went for it. During the consult the doctor told me all about the band, showed me the band, showed me pics of the surgery, talked about foods, restriction, it being a tool, etc. He was very helpful in me determining whether or not it was for me. Have a good time and enjoy all that you are learning. The work will come later.

Oh wow..You just got banded? Thats awesome..I am nervous but very excited as well, I am looking forward to starting a new chapter in my life. You and I are about the same weight as well, probably the same height if our BMI is the same, so I wish you luck! Keep in touch!

Hi,

Congratulations! Read a lot, do lots of research and take a note of those questions you'd like to ask your doctor as he's surely the best person to answer your many doubts.

hope everything will turn OK.

niki

It helped me to read as much as I could about the surgery. I found articles, and read posts on different websites. I went in with questions about the surgeon's experience and about the procedure itself and about recovery.

For me, this is a semi-private affair. I have told my husband, my mom, my best friend, my sister, my brother, and my boss. I let them know that this is not public information, and if anyone asks, I have simply been watching my weight. If someone finds out I had surgery, it will be gall bladder surgery. I think the who-you-tell part is a very personal, subjective decision.

Best of luck to you!

I would suggest getting folder, and as you come across articles you feel helped you understand the procedure, or brought questions to mind, or just interested you in some way, print them and include them in your folder. I would imagine at your consultation, you will receive booklets, and information, you can then add it. When you get your medical records together, you can keep them with your info folder, and can take both with you to all appointments, with the Dr., the nutritionist, the psych. ALL of it. If you want to share certain aspects of the information you have found with those you are telling about the banding, having the numbers, or a picture of the band, or a story by someone already banded, may help them understand it better, and they will also feel that if you have all this research, that you are making an informed decision. In my folder, I can see at a glance how my blood work numbers have improved! I added a page that has my measurements...I can see at a glance I have now lost 2 feet!!! I also have all of my post op instructions, the Inamed band numbers, all info concerning my surgery, phone numbers for anyone and everyone I have spoke with regarding it. If you are trying to get insurance coverage, keeping detailed notes will be VERY important.

I personally told most everyone, and my DH shared with everyone as well. I did however withold the fact that I was having it done in Mexico until after it was done and no problems arose. I knew coming from a family with many medically backgrounded members, this would be a sticking point! I feel like I now have some people watching me very closely, ironically these are the other ones that likely need it themselves! But only a couple have actually said anything much to me about it. Most are curious, and supportive. I felt like I could use the extra motivation of knowing that "they" knew. If that makes any sense!!! As for negative feedback, I have not really had any, one friend insisted I did NOT need the surgery. I however knew my co-morbidities, were several,and getting more serious as my weight increased steadily. So I just don't talk to her much about it. YOU know you better than they EVER will....so you will know if it is the right decision for you!

Best of luck to you as you start this awesome WL journey!!!

Kat