Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about rate of weight loss

Hey everybody! I was banded June 9th, 2006. Pre op weight was 251.5lbs and am down to 233 now. I am just wondering if this is a normal weight loss rate. I also noticed that while initially I was loosing weight rapidly, about three weeks after surgery I started to fluctuate loosing a pound then gaining two pounds etc. Any one having or have had a similar experience? I seem to be pretty static the last two weeks only having lost 3 lbs. I know I am impatient and I am really trying to be more patient with myself but it is really tough. I am also going in for a fill in July. How well do fills boost weight loss?

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. :nervous

Yasmin

You've lost a ton of Water and your body is now stabilising. The fat loss is probably still continuing. If you do the right things over the long term you will lose plenty of fat, but you cant get to obsessed with day to day fluctuations.

Really, we all want to lose fast and steadily but if you look at yourself in six months time and you're well down, then you're going great!

Yep, your body is stabilizing. You will stabilize and continue losing. i had to get an unfill due to being too restricted, couldn't even keep my shakes down. I was dehydrated and as soon as i could drink liquids again i put on 7 pounds. i stay away from the scale, only allowing myself a weih-in once a week.

It's natural to lose a ton of Water weight the first few weeks and then your body settles into a fat loss pattern. With the lapband, that's 1-2 pounds a week. When you get a fill or two and feel restriction, it's easier to control the eating.

You see a lot of people on here losing really rapidly, and huge amounts. I know it's hard when we've been so heavy for so long and we want it gone, and gone fast! The thing is, I've decided I want to lose ideally 2lbs a week, and a maximum of 10lbs a month, that's right, a maximum. Why? because losing two fast has some side effects, you're more likely to have sagging skin, you're more likely to shock your body and experience issues like hair loss, you release excess hormones stored in fat as you lose, and losing to fast can throw you hormonally out of whack... The data for lap band says to expect an average weight loss of 1-2lbs a week, and I think as long as that's what's going on, then things are going just as they should be. Don't worry about what is happening for anyone else, and focus on you, your health, and your journey. You're losing, and that's what is important.

XO

Leila

Girl, we are on the same boat. I was banded on June 6th and was down about 12 lbs post op. For the last 2 weeks I have been bouncing around like a ping pong ball. Today I busted my exercise to try and start losing again. I am not sure what my body is doing but it is NOT making me happy. Hang in there. My first fill is July 17th so time will tell.