Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I see my PCP for the first time since surgery

I am 7 months post op, down 106 pound from the beginning of my weight loss journey. I have not seen my PCP since I weighed 238 pounds, I have been going to him for over 20 years and he was really pushing for me to have lap band. I never told him I decided to have vsg and I seen his nurse practitioner pre surgery so he has NO IDEA I had this done or about the weight loss, I think he is going to fall over!

Stand by for details of visit...................................................

Lol, I am ready to read it all! This is going to be interesting. Good luck!

So I went, I was so super nervous for some reason???? None of the staff said a word to me, got kinda nervous. So I wait and wait and wait for the doc in the room, he finally comes in and he stops in his tracks and says Look AT YOU! He was smiling from ear to ear. He said he was so proud of me. Then he says how did you do it? Eating right? Exercise? I said both and I had VSG. He clearly did not have a clue about the procedure. I had to explain it to him. He then says " It is reversible? and I am like well I suppose if you get me a donor stomach? I told him I don't see any need for my stomach ever again, it was allowed me to be fat all my life.

We reviewed meds, Nope, no longer taking 5 blood pressure medicines, no longer taking metformin. He listened to my heart, and then he just stopped and looked at me again and said " You know I can't tell you how proud I am of you" and reached out and put his hand on my shoulder and said "now come on lets get you out of here, you are too healthy to spend your day in a doctors office!"

You should be so proud of yourself--you have done great!

WOW!!!! I love this story!!!! How cool is this?!?!? CONGRATULATIONS to you for all your courage and hard work!!!!! [clap, clap, clap]

MNB

PS: I see you in a cycling jersey! I love to cycle too and look forward to getting back on my bike. I bet climbing and long distances are much more fun with the weight gone! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that!!! :-)

So I went, I was so super nervous for some reason???? None of the staff said a word to me, got kinda nervous. So I wait and wait and wait for the doc in the room, he finally comes in and he stops in his tracks and says Look AT YOU! He was smiling from ear to ear. He said he was so proud of me. Then he says how did you do it? Eating right? Exercise? I said both and I had VSG. He clearly did not have a clue about the procedure. I had to explain it to him. He then says " It is reversible? and I am like well I suppose if you get me a donor stomach? I told him I don't see any need for my stomach ever again, it was allowed me to be fat all my life.

We reviewed meds, Nope, no longer taking 5 blood pressure medicines, no longer taking metformin. He listened to my heart, and then he just stopped and looked at me again and said " You know I can't tell you how proud I am of you" and reached out and put his hand on my shoulder and said "now come on lets get you out of here, you are too healthy to spend your day in a doctors office!"

WOW!!!! I love this story!!!! How cool is this?!?!? CONGRATULATIONS to you for all your courage and hard work!!!!! [clap, clap, clap]

MNB

PS: I see you in a cycling jersey! I love to cycle too and look forward to getting back on my bike. I bet climbing and long distances are much more fun with the weight gone! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to that!!! :-)

MB, that was me in first ever event just 2 months after I bought a bike,, We did 36 mile in Tour de Cure for diabetes! YES me 36 miles on my bike! My first ever sporting event! Hills kinda of still kill me but I refused to walk my bike in front of those sleek professional riders!

Aw, congrats! That is so awesome. You must be so happy.

" You know I can't tell you how proud I am of you" and reached out and put his hand on my shoulder and said "now come on lets get you out of here, you are too healthy to spend your day in a doctors office!"

I LOVE THIS!!!!

Pardon me being nosy, but how did you get off all of your meds without seeing your PCP? Did your surgeon guide you on what to take and what not to take?

I LOVE THIS!!!!

Pardon me being nosy, but how did you get off all of your meds without seeing your PCP? Did your surgeon guide you on what to take and what not to take?

Well did I do it the right way,, No. I was being stubborn and enough of doctors, having a bit of medical background I took myself off meds. I monitored my BP at home and Blood Glucose and just did it. My surgeon would not touch the meds questions. I have and aversion to too many drs visits in a a year :)

This story brought a tear to my eye! I, too, am proud of you! What an accomplishment.

A few years ago, while preparing for a possible RNY procedure, I saw my new (first visti) PCP and told him of my plans. The first thing he said was "Surgery will never work for you" and the second was "I hope they require a psych eval because you are crazy!" I left crying...and promptly changed doctors. I have never been treated so awfully!

Its refreshing to hear of a doctor such as yours be proud of a patient. I bet he recommends this surgery to future patients because of your wonderful example!

Take care,

Karen

This was absolutely wonderful story. My PCP is great too. When I went in last week, I told her my plans and she told me to go for it. To live life and enjoy myself!

You are AMAZING!!!! I see nothing holds you back LOL!!!! Good for you!!!!! Congratulations on that great event AND for a wonderful cause too!!!! What an inspiration!!! ... I know what you mean about refusing to walk the bike. I'm the same way. My rule is " I RIDE" even if I have to stop and start, I ride. LOL Once I kept being offered a SAG up this hill - which I kept refusing. I think the guy just thought no way I would make it. But my will is as big as my big butt!!! :-) I made it up. I did need a SAG down thougth LOL. I was so afraid of the speed and I could not seem to wrap my hands around my breaks well enough. I was afraid I would crash. You know how fast some down hills can go! Especially when you're heavy. Oh well! :-)

MB, that was me in first ever event just 2 months after I bought a bike,, We did 36 mile in Tour de Cure for diabetes! YES me 36 miles on my bike! My first ever sporting event! Hills kinda of still kill me but I refused to walk my bike in front of those sleek professional riders!

Oh man, I'm nervous too as my PCP doesn't know I had the sleeve either. I hope she's half as encouraging as yours! Great story!