Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got certified for Sleeve, and now I'm terrified.

Hello all,

First post here, and just wanted to kind of rant, hopefully there's other people that have had the same worries I had.

I'm 27 years old. Currently living in Tulsa, Oklahoma... A couple of years ago I had some stomach issues which ended in me having emergency open surgery in my abdomen to repair a perforated duodenum due to h. pylori... I lost a substantial amount of weight due not being allowed to eat or drink for 6 weeks, and on TPN therapy. Following my return to being allowed to eat over the course of a few months I found myself gaining all that weight back and more... I'm currently sitting at about 300lbs...

Ever since then I've had trouble losing weight, I've been diagnosed type 2 diabetes since then and have a pretty brutal incisional hernia along my scar.

Back in February of 2011, I went to a seminar for a local surgeon, Dr. Luis Gorospe, who I was totally confident in. I had read insurance horror stories before and I went through the process of approval not expecting to actually get approved. I went through pysch evaluations, sleep studies, a 90 day diet/lifestyle/exercise program, and then was submitted to Aetna. Aetna replied back and said that they would be unable to approve my request because Dr. Gorospe did not operate out of one of their IOQ facilities. Oklahoma isn't exactly a haven for bariatric surgeries and my options were limited due to their being few Aetna IOQs in Oklahoma and even fewer surgeons doing the sleeve. So my next approach was go back to my old hometown of Las Vegas, I've only been going from Vegas for a year, and my parents are still there... plus I work for Continental Airlines and can fly for free, so it sounded like a perfect plan.

Surely enough, I picked a surgeon I was previously considering in Las Vegas the last time I lived there. Dr. Thomas Umbach who operates out of Desert Springs Hospital in Las Vegas, which is a Aetna IOQ. Sure enough, the same day Aetna said they wouldn't cover the surgery, I asked them about switching to Dr. Umbach, after speaking with his office, and surprisingly they said "we have no problem with that".. by the end of the day they certified me for my sleeve, and I got a surgery date of 7/6/11...

I'm now kind of freaking out. I've read tons upon tons of good reviews about Dr. Umbach, but there was one bad experience I also read about from a couple years ago, and it seems to be everywhere I look. It's the only negative I've really found on him, but that on top of having a general fear of hospitals and surgery have me freaking out and reconsidering. My wife seems angry that I'd throw away the chance to get my life straight and be around for her and our children but I'm still pretty terrified. Not so much of Dr. Umbach, but just an overall fear of surgery.. Up until a couple years ago with my stomach issues, I'd never had so much as the flu, and never had to go into a hospital... while I was there I was scared of pain meds they gave me and just was 100% positive something bad was going to happen. Nothing bad happened, and things have been fine since then.

I know in the back of my head this is what I need to do, that I need this to get healthy so I can be here for my wife and kids, but it still scares me and I don't know how to shake it.

Is there anybody else that's been like that? I should be looking at this as a new beginning, but instead I'm fearing the absolute worst...

Is your fear normal? Yes. Surgery is scary to all of us. We face dangers by overeating too. Being worried is common, so don't think you are unrational.

Suggest you contact MINI-ME, she had surgery with your same doctor in LV and has nothing but good things to say. Her success story was an inspiration to me. Good luck!

Yes, your fears are normal. I'm going through the same thoughts since getting my surgery date a couple of days ago. I would actually be more worried if you were NOT having those thoughts.

But you have made the decision to make your life better for yourself and your family. Just remember the reasons why you are doing this. Keep repeating them over and over to yourself. Heck, write them down and paste them in places that you will see them every single day. That is what is helping me.

Congratulations on the new you!

Thanks guys!

I read through Mini Me's posts about and some other ones and I feel much better.. It's still in the back of my mind but I think I can push the positives forward!

Your fears are TOTALLY normal! No one should take this surgery lightly - Dr U will remind you that you COULD die.

My thoughts ... without surgery, you will die earlier or have debilitately medical issues to reduce the quality of your life. Once I talked with Dr. U I knew he was the right surgeon for me. His confidence totally calmed me. My mother in law is an experienced surgical nurse and she seas also impressed with him. Please feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. Best of luck!!!!!!

My mom is an ICU nurse there in Vegas too at St. Rose in Henderson... she too will be accompanying me at my consult and surgery... so far the staff has been great and very accommodating... I'm sure things will be fine, and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives, but it's hard not to imagine worst case scenario on things like these... My mother in law was banded in Mexico a few years ago and has no complications, and I know several other people throughout my travels that have been just fine too.... It's exciting and nerve racking both at the same time...

MINI-Me.. what was the pre-op diet like? My surgeon here was going to have me do liquid diet four days before surgery.. since I won't actually get to meet Dr. Umbach until the day before the surgery, I wanna make sure I'm doing everything I need to do, especially if it will assist in the surgery going off with less complications.

Also, I'll be coming back to Tulsa after the surgery (leaving 4 days later) - what type of follow up should I schedule? Should I set up a scope 6 weeks after to check the healing? or should I only worry about it if I have complications?

My gosh, we are all feeling the same way. I have my date scheduled on June 22nd and I keep thinking, maybe I should cancel the surgery. I am scared. I have insurance approval and there is a time limit on the surgery window (May 5-July3)

I put it off 7 weeks from approval date to make sure I was not rushing into it. I was fine up until a few days ago when the reality of it set in. I have signed all of my pre op paperwork and went to all of my visits and now it is just the surgery date.

10 days away. Wow it going too fast. I feel like I ate my last meal. I am on the preop diet now. I am thinking what if? you know all the bad stuff. I should be super excited, but I am just so nervous about the surgery.

I hope you will feel better about yours soon. I am so confused........blink.gif

My pre-op was 2 weeks of low carb with 1 meal a day replaced w/protein shake. I am sure Holly will give you all the details.

Since you have family there and hate hospitals, you may want to ask about outpatient at Seven Hills. That's what I did and liked that option a lot.

I wouldn't think you would need a scope. About 2 weeks prior, Dr. U will do a phone consult with you. He will answer a lot of questions then. Holly can also answer a lot or put you throuh to Dr U if she can't answer.

It is normal to be scared. I used to freak out daily thinking about having most of my stomach cut out. I was so unhappy though and I knew that I couldn't continue to be morbidly obese anymore. So many people here gave me the support and wisdom I needed to go through with my sleeve. I am 200% happy that I did! The sleeve has given me control over food. I am losing weight and I feel amazing. The VSG is a wonderful and life changing tool! I really feel it is one of the best decisions I could have ever made for myself. Good luck with your surgery. We are always here for you!

My pre-op was 2 weeks of low carb with 1 meal a day replaced w/protein shake. I am sure Holly will give you all the details.

Since you have family there and hate hospitals, you may want to ask about outpatient at Seven Hills. That's what I did and liked that option a lot.

I wouldn't think you would need a scope. About 2 weeks prior, Dr. U will do a phone consult with you. He will answer a lot of questions then. Holly can also answer a lot or put you throuh to Dr U if she can't answer.

I don't have that option for Seven Hills... I have to do it at an Aetna IOQ center or Aetna won't pay for it... I'm slowly getting used to the idea, it was more so first I figured I wouldn't get approved.. I don't know why I meet all the requirements with a BMI of 40.3, recent diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, mild sleep apnea.. etc... then when I hit the snag with my original surgeon and not being able to get approved to have him do it, and then really within a matter of hours going from... ok, you're not approved... to Dr. Umbach is my surgeon and you're having surgery 7/6/11 - it literally happened within a few hours... it just happened really quickly even though I've been gradually working towards for the last 4 months.

Now, I'm just kind of stressing now because I got 3 weeks to go, and I know my nutritionist person, I think her name was Krystyna is on vacation until June 22nd, and I need some info on my pre-op diet.. everything I've done this far has been with my other surgeon, who wasn't having me on a pre-op diet.. just 4 days liquid prior to surgery... anywho, I'm feeling better, still a little nervous but it's starting to settle... let the countdown begin!

Is getting an EDG a normal process for the sleeve? I've had previous stomach surgery (2 years ago) and I heard that a lot of surgeons require this which is totally understandable... should I be worried that my surgeon doesn't want me to get one or a chest xray ? I think I may get one anyways, and have it sent to him... but maybe it's different with the sleeve vs. other surgeries.. not sure.