Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Kaiser insurance. I have been patiently waiting for 7 months to get a surgery date and I just got a call for a date in July and now I find out from my nut that my referral expired (it was only good for 3 months). I am mad - smoke coming out of my ears mad...I hope I can get things straighten out soon :( The nut said she hasn't had this happen to any of her other pts. Has anyone else had this issue?

Toyia

Typo-wanted to say Kaiser of Maryland...

I have Kaiser insurance. I have been patiently waiting for 7 months to get a surgery date and I just got a call for a date in July and now I find out from my nut that my referral expired (it was only good for 3 months). I am mad - smoke coming out of my ears mad...I hope I can get things straighten out soon :( The nut said she hasn't had this happen to any of her other pts. Has anyone else had this issue?

Toyia

Typo-wanted to say Kaiser of Maryland...

Hi Toyia,

I have Kaiser Mid-Atlantic and while I have not had the experience that you are referring to, I have noticed on my referrals that Kaiser on give you a 2-3 month window on the referral. Which I think is ludicrous especially if you are dealing with a doctor outside of Kaiser (which I am).

Do you know what the process is now to get the referral extended or a new one?

Good luck to you!

Tracy

My nut said she hasn't had this happen to any of her other pts she is going to call the committee that approved my surgery and find out what I should do next. I also made an appt to go see her on Wed. So, she can have a record that I am still following-up. I can post again on Wed and let you know what happens. I feel bad because I didn't notice the expiration date on my referral, when the doctor told me the wait would be 4-8 months, I figured Kaiser was aware of this also. I was upset yesterday, but today I am glad I found out...so I can get everything straighten out by my July surgery date.

Toyia

Hi Toyia,

I have Kaiser Mid-Atlantic and while I have not had the experience that you are referring to, I have noticed on my referrals that Kaiser on give you a 2-3 month window on the referral. Which I think is ludicrous especially if you are dealing with a doctor outside of Kaiser (which I am).

Good luck to you!

Tracy

My nut said she hasn't had this happen to any of her other pts she is going to call the committee that approved my surgery and find out what I should do next. I also made an appt to go see her on Wed. So, she can have a record that I am still following-up. I can post again on Wed and let you know what happens. I feel bad because I didn't notice the expiration date on my referral, when the doctor told me the wait would be 4-8 months, I figured Kaiser was aware of this also. I was upset yesterday, but today I am glad I found out...so I can get everything straighten out by my July surgery date.

Toyia

Please let me know what happens after your appointment. By chance are you using Holy Cross/Dr. Cantor? I know that his wait list is very, very long, fitting the time frame, 4-7 months.

Again, good luck, keep me posted.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Yes, I am using Holy Cross/Dr. Cantor. I have Kaiser *** so I only have one choice. I will keep you posted.

Toyia

Please let me know what happens after your appointment. By chance are you using Holy Cross/Dr. Cantor? I know that his wait list is very, very long, fitting the time frame, 4-7 months.

Again, good luck, keep me posted.

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Yes, I am using Holy Cross/Dr. Cantor. I have Kaiser *** so I only have one choice. I will keep you posted.

Toyia

I have the same Kaiser as you, perhaps different plan. But I was slated to use Holy Cross/Dr. Cantor as well. I attend several information session and really liked his no nonsense approach. However, the wait time was a killer. My NUT asked if I would be interested in using another facility/Dr. I asked her what was available to me and she mentioned St. Agnes in Baltimore with a doctor contracting with Kaiser. There was a program fee associated but the wait was probably going to be shorter, etc. At any rate, I am not using Holy Cross, but St. Agnes instead and my surgery date has been approved for August 2.

Which in the grand scheme of my busy life will work just fine. It will provide with time to enjoy summer and finish up my summer graduate classes.

The nut called me this morning and said that I didn't have to come in tomorrow. If Dr. Canton needs a new referral, his office will request one for me. Kaiser is aware of the long wait so I should be fine. The nut freaked me out for nothing. But, it was a good thing...because when she told me that my referral expired. I was so upset and I was crying. I felt like I have been through so much. This process has taken 18 months of my life. It has been an emotional roller coaster. I also received my surgery date from Kaiser today :) I am excited. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nut called me this morning and said that I didn't have to come in tomorrow. If Dr. Canton needs a new referral, his office will request one for me. Kaiser is aware of the long wait so I should be fine. The nut freaked me out for nothing. But, it was a good thing...because when she told me that my referral expired. I was so upset and I was crying. I felt like I have been through so much. This process has taken 18 months of my life. It has been an emotional roller coaster. I also received my surgery date from Kaiser today :) I am excited. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toya,

That is GREAT NEWS! I am so happy for you. This "has been an emotional roller coaster" is an understatement. When is your surgery date? Mines is August 2.

Way to go!

Toya,

Congratulations on your date! I, too am waiting for Dr. Cantor. What date did you receive? I'm on the waitlist for the people who can go anyday, and I was hoping for a July date. Thanks.. D

Thanks Virty Girl and Deevah.

My surgery date is July 18th at Holy Cross with Dr. Cantor.

Toyia

Hi Toyia,

Good luck to you!

Tracy

I have Kaiser Mid Atlantic and i use the Largo Center.... i was wondering whats the actual process and how long did it take for you approval from the committee once you finish the nut classes. Im trying to be proactive and get all the test that dr. Cantor stated in the hand out from holy cross. Please feel me in on maybe a time line and or what i need to do. I just finish my classes on june 2.

Thanks,

Ann

I have Kaiser Mid Atlantic and i use the Largo Center.... i was wondering whats the actual process and how long did it take for you approval from the committee once you finish the nut classes. Im trying to be proactive and get all the test that dr. Cantor stated in the hand out from holy cross. Please feel me in on maybe a time line and or what i need to do. I just finish my classes on june 2.

Thanks,

Ann

Hi Ann,

The process for me was to attend all of the Kaiser classes, etc. which it appears that you have done. Once completed Nurse Zarba sent my request to the committee. However, there was some type of delay in my paperwork and while it should have taken about a week or two to receive the approval, mine's took about 4 weeks. Even though I use Kaiser @ Largo, I opted not to go with Dr. Cantor at Holy Cross because the wait was over four months and climbing (up to 7 months). However, recently, he has shifted his calendar to fit in more patients to reduce the wait time.

I am using Dr. von Rueden affiliated with St. Agnes Hospital and my surgery date is August 2.

As far as all the testing to be done, I just emailed my primary care physician through KP.org and told her what type of testing I needed and she placed the orders for me. Even using Dr. von Rueden, I just dropped off the orders to her as she needed to look at them, and then she placed the orders.

Hopefully, I've answered your questions (for the most part). I would estimate your wait time of having surgery to be around September...that's just an estimate from as I have no idea how many patients are waiting at this point. I know that alot of folks have been getting dates in the last two weeks.

Best of luck to you!

Tracy

Thanks Tracy, i have nurse Zarba as well. I had my last nut class on June 2 and i think she told me that the committee meets twice a month but i havent heard from as of today keeping my fingers crossed for an approval.

Ann

The waiting is most painful. You should have your answer soon, as famous last sayings go "we didn't get this way overnight,:( so have some patience now" . Keep me posted on your progress.

Thanks Tracy, i have nurse Zarba as well. I had my last nut class on June 2 and i think she told me that the committee meets twice a month but i havent heard from as of today keeping my fingers crossed for an approval.

Ann