Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A first for me

I have been trying to not stop at fast food places since meeting with the dietician for the first time on May 18. For the most part - I've been successful in that. I admit, I have stopped about 5 times during these 3 weeks and have ordered from my favorite take out 3 times. However, that's better than I used to be - I used to stop for fast food every day - for Breakfast and dinner and order take out for lunch every day. So, while I still have a lot of work to do to break my fast food habit, I still count this as a success.

On Friday, I'll be leaving for a 15 hour drive (which I am breaking into 2 days) so I can get to Providence to park my car (since it is cheaper there than at my destination) and take a 1 hour train ride to Boston for a week of genealogy research. For the first time ever, I have been thinking about how I will eat during that drive. I spent some time today chopping up some veggies and putting them into ziplock bags for my cooler. I even put some bottles of Water in the freezer which I will then use to keep things cool in my cooler. I also made a batch of those cheese crisps that was posted in the recipe section for the trip (I had to try one - it wasn't bad). I am even planning to take some of my Protein samples with me so I can mix them on the run. I'll stop at gas stations along the way to get more bottles of cold water. While I am in Boston, I do plan to eat out each day - but I have already researched some restaurants that are in the area of my hotel that have healthy foods for not an outrageous price.

The trip home will be more difficult - as I'm sure I won't have any veggies left then (and frankly even if I did, they would probably be bad). I realize I could stop at many fast food places and get salads - but I really do not want to do that because it will be too easy right now for me to order stuff I shouldn't be eating. I'm sure I'll figure something out for the return trip.

I'm amazed at this change in myself already - and I haven't even gotten to the pre-op diet yet!

Hello!

There are a few items that or OK at fast food restaurants. Also, maybe you can stock up at the grocery store before your return trip. Most delis have a veggie plate with cut up vegetables and a sinlge serving of hummus. Back in the day I used to get a hamburger and salad from McDonalds - throw out the bun and cut the patty onto the salad and eat it. Very low carb and may get you through a bad situation if drive through is the only option.

Good luck!

Wow, a week of geneology research sounds fascinating! Have fun with that!

I know that there are a ton of available places to pick up healthy food! Just refill your cooler with ice and pick up some fresh food for the trip back!

Have fun and good luck with your research!

First day down and no fast food! I did have dinner at Olive Garden, but it was right next door to the hotel and I was wanting something other than the veggies I packed after snacking on them all day. Still have some left for tomorrow, so this plan is working great.

Genealogy research is a passion of mine. It sounds really strange, but the intense research (like I will be doing next week) is VERY relaxing to me. It has the same effect as a day at the spa. Yup, I'm a strange one.... LOL

you can still eat out and eat healthy. find a subway and eat there everyday! subway makes a great spinach salad with turkey! if not, most fast food restaurants have great choices if you look. get a salad and lite dressing with some chicken on it. or a grilled chicken sandwich plain and use only 1/2 the bun ask for fruit instead of fries. kfc has grilled chicken tenders that are really tasty.

as far as dine-in's go. they always have a healthy section on their menus. you just have to look for it. if you don't see something lite, ask what they have. they will accomodate you!

there are lots of ways to eat healthy if you really want to.

good luck to you!

Kelly :D

Fast food places are NOT an option for me right now. The temptation is too great to order the bad stuff. Maybe eventually I can - years down the road. But right now, no - the last thing I need is that.

That's part of the reason I stopped at Olive Garden - the meal wasn't too aweful. Tonight, I'm going to have dinner at Audrey's - which is part of the Johnson & Wales Inn in Mass. Should be good food.< /p>