Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what will day 1 post op feel like?

Day 1 is different for all patients. May also depend upon how your selected surgeon does VSG surgery.

I was an outpatient for VSG surgery, home same day in evening. No catheder, no pain pump, no drain - since none is needed. Only took pain meds once to sleep since my sleeping patterns were all messed up on day 2 to 3. Slept during the day up at night.

Have you had a c-section? If yes, this is nothing as extreme as that. Expect to be really tired, posibbly in some discomfort and don't expect to feel "normal." Rest, walk and sip often ...then repeat is your mantra for the first week.

Best wishes!

I don't know much about you or your surgeon or hospital so it is hard to predict.

My first day post operative was kind of rough. My surgery was supposed to happen at 11 AM but I was bumped because of

emergency surgery because my surgery was ELECTIVE. When I say I was bumped I mean the major city hospital where my

surgeon had reserved an operating room for two hours for my surgery was told an emergency surgery had to use that operating

room at that time.

I hadn't drank anything since before midnight on Tuesday. I took my medications with two sips of Water as I was instructed.

The nurse wasn't sure how delayed my surgery would be. I was very thirsty. They gave me mouth wash to help my cotton mouth.

I couldn't swallow it. I couldn't have Water. I didn't go into surgery until 3 PM on Wednesday. I hadn't drank a substantial amount

of water in 15 hours.

When I came out of surgery I felt like crap from anesthesia etc. I was given morphine and 3 anti nausea medicines by IV on demand.

I wasn't allowed to have water or ice chips until after I had an esophagram the following morning. The nurses sponged my lips but

told me not to drink the water...I sucked on the sponge as much as I could (it was that little green sponge at the end of a stick -- I called it the wet Swiffer and it didn't hold much water). The next morning I was taken for my esophagram. I was given a disgusting tasting liquid to drink. That was the first liquid I drank in over 27 hours. I couldn't have ice chips or water until my surgeon saw the results of my test and then gave a written order to the nurse in my "step down room" 4 patients to 2 nurses.

Oh, I also came out of surgery with an NG tube. For those who don't know what that is it is a nasal gastric tube that runs from your stomach through your nose. It is now the number 2 device on my list of devices I absolutely hate having anything to do with. I also had a

Foley catheter because 12 hours after surgery the nurses noticed I was very dehydrated and not peeing. So they inserted a catheter inside my bladder to remove the few drops of urine that was in there.

My first day post op was spent in a morphine haze begging my friends, family and anyone who would listen to me to let me have some

water or ice chips before I died of dehydration. I was no where near dying but that is how it felt. Finally at 8:30 PM Thursday night approximately 29 hours after my surgery had started I was permitted to have ice chips and water. All the tubes and catheters were removed and I was moved to a regular hospital room. It was reported to me I spent the day nodding in an out of sleep asking for someone to swiffer my lips!

MY SECOND DAY POST OP WAS A G-D DAMN PARTY COMPARED TO THAT!

Like they said, everyone is different. I had no pain and was up walking every hour. I did have the drain tube i had to carry with me the first 2 days after surgery. I did not take any pain medication after the 2nd day. The only issue I had was the gas and the only thing that seemed to help was the walking. My incisions were a little tender the 1st two days but great after that. I will tell you this, It was a lot easier and better than I had prepared for. I had done a lot of research prior to my surgery and I was prepared for pain, nausea and throwing up. To this day, I was never sick and now I feel great a little over two weeks out.

Like they said, everyone is different. I had no pain and was up walking every hour. I did have the drain tube i had to carry with me the first 2 days after surgery. I did not take any pain medication after the 2nd day. The only issue I had was the gas and the only thing that seemed to help was the walking. My incisions were a little tender the 1st two days but great after that. I will tell you this, It was a lot easier and better than I had prepared for. I had done a lot of research prior to my surgery and I was prepared for pain, nausea and throwing up. To this day, I was never sick and now I feel great a little over two weeks out.

That is almost exactly how mine went, but I am one week post op today. I'm loving my sleeve - wish I could have had it 20 years ago. I like you did plenty of research and talking to people on sites like this. Good luck everyone! x

My surgery was April 12. I did not have either a drain tube or a catheter. I woke up in recovery with severe pain in my shoulders. The nurse said it was due to the way they have you lay during surgery, but I know now it was gas pain from the CO they inject into your abdomen. My surgery was mid-afternoon and I was up walking about 7pm. I remember being extremely thirsty and was given ice chips. I controlled my own pain pump and pushed it consistently. The first time I got up to walk I was a bit quesy, but it went over quickly. I had a lot of trouble sleeping that first night. I would think that I had slept for a couple of hours but the clock had moved only 3 minutes. It was literally the longest night of my life. The next morning I was a bit nauseous and the nurse told me it was probably from the pain drip. Since I really wasn't feeling any pain, I stopped pushing the button and the nausea stopped. I was able to use the bathroom on my own beginning a few hours after surgery. I began coughing a bit the day after surgery and that hurt. The nurse showed me how to support my stomach with a pillow when coughing. On the day after surgery my face felt really flushed and my blood pressure and temp were a bit elevated. I was concerned, but the medical staff didn't seem at all alarmed. Said it was pretty normal. I spent the day after surgery drinking 1 ounce of unjury each hour with ice chips in between. I was supposed to go home the 3rd morning, but early morning blood tests showed low potassium levels. I had to have 2 bags of potassium intravenously and that took about 3 hours. Since potassium really burns going in it was by far the worst three hours in the hospital. Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to give you an honest account. I was pretty weak and low energy for the first three weeks, but beginning week 4 saw great improvement. At 8 weeks out I feel normal. All in all I am very glad I did it and wish I had been able to have the sleeve 20 years ago!

Marie

I had my sleeve done Monday and I'm still in the hospital but supposed to get released today. I don't want to discourage you but right after surgery was pretty rough. Pain was managed through IV medicine. I had a catheter. It was an uncomfortae experience but not so bad that I woukdn't do it again. Major surgery is tough on your body but you can get through it. I feel much better after the 3rd day. Good luck.

Well between hitting the morphine pump button you'll feel like you just got run over by a very sharp and pointy Mack truck. And then the morphine will kick in and you won't care anymore.tongue.gif

I had pain, but it was all GAS!!! That gas pain is NO JOKE!! I felt fine other than that. I was on diluad for most of the morning and then switched to liquid vicoden in the afternoon right before I went home.

After going home, I did not take pain medication because the only pain I really had was from the gas and that lasted for about 3 days. Then I was just sore, kinda like I did too many crunches. My abs and obliques were so sore for about 2 weeks, then I was fine!

Good luck to you!

Kelly :)

I did not experience the gas pain so many talk about. 24 hours out I was ready to go home and get on with my new life. I was up going to the bathroom on my own. Walking the halls on my own. Sipping fluids and resting. That was about it. I didnt have a pain pump after the first night. I got my cath out first thing in the morning. So all I had was an iv and they gave me fluids here and there. I felt like I was recovering from a really bad flu. Kind of weak and sleepy but mostly just wanted to go home.

You'll do great! Good luck on your journey.

[quote name='pyt1908' timestamp='1307508258' post='161290