Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and need advice

I'm on day 3 and feeling very hungry in spurts! I thought that that was the point of removing the part of the stomach that keeps you from feeling hungry. Am I wrong? I'm on the liquid diet but feel like I'm about to go crazy! First of all I need to take antibotics that taste horrible so crushing them makes me nausea when I attempt to get it down. I tried mixing them in a smoothie but that didnt work either! How am I supposed to take these meds without throwing up?

At some point later will I be able to take pills? because I just rather wait til it is ok to swallow pills!

Also, how long am I required to be on only liquids?

Feeling a lot of regrets! Please help :(

Well first off, it takes some time to get that hormone gerhlin out of you system. Are you taking an acid reducer? Sometime the brain can mistake the rumblings of acid stomach with hunger.

If you are 3 days post, fluids should should help you quell real hunger, really examine where you are feeling hunger from, your stomach or your head. I promise once you start seen the weight come off you will have NO regrets! HANG in there ,, we are here for you!

Are you on an acid reducer? If not, that might be contributing to your feelings of hunger. As far as the antibiotic, can you call and ask them to call in the antibiotic in liquid form?

Is your liquid diet all clear or are you able to have Protein shakes? If you're allowed to have all liquids, maybe try to have some thinned split pea Soup or another creamy Soup, that will beef up your calories and may help to quell your hunger.

Joy35, I was obsessed with food from about day 3 til I could start eating semi-solid foods. I was so worried that it wasn't working for me, but now I don't feel any hunger at all.

You'll probably obsess about food (and "feel hungry") until you can actually eat some. But then you'll get over it, I promise. :)

The questions about pills & how long on liquids.... you really need to ask your surgeon or nutritionist those questions. Didn't they tell you anything?

I think I do need the acid reducer because my stomach sounds like a battle field inside. I'm going to buy something today to see if this helps. I remember being in the hospital and they were giving me pepcid ac in my IV and my stomach wasn't feeling like this. Thanks

I had the antibiotic issue too. One day in particular it hit me hard. I called the doctor and they were able to give me a different one. If that part gets really bad, you might want to check about a substitute. The second one they gave me seemed to work as effectively and stayed down easier.

And the hunger does sedate after a couple of weeks. At least that was my timeframe. About the time I was able to leave liquids, I felt better hunger wise.

My cousin had gastric bypass about 8 years ago and has done GREAT! Before I decided on VSG, I was contemplating gastric bypass. I called to talk to her and she said that she was hungry when they wheeled her into surgery and hungry when they wheeled her out. She said that she was hungry for about 2 weeks, but that after that time period, her head caught up with her stomach. She explained it this way: for so long, we have eaten WAY MORE than we need to be healthy and survive. Once you've decreased your food intake to basically nothing, your body thinks it's going to starve and sends signals that your hungry. After a couple of weeks, your body realizes that it's not going to starve and calms down a bit. I know that she had bypass, but I'm assuming the same principles apply with VSG.

Good luck. I'm just starting- initial doctors appointment this Tuesday, the 7th. So I can't identify with what you're going through, but I hope the above puts it into some sort of perspective for you.

Meg

I'm on day 3 and feeling very hungry in spurts! I thought that that was the point of removing the part of the stomach that keeps you from feeling hungry. Am I wrong? I'm on the liquid diet but feel like I'm about to go crazy! First of all I need to take antibotics that taste horrible so crushing them makes me nausea when I attempt to get it down. I tried mixing them in a smoothie but that didnt work either! How am I supposed to take these meds without throwing up?

At some point later will I be able to take pills? because I just rather wait til it is ok to swallow pills!

Also, how long am I required to be on only liquids?

Feeling a lot of regrets! Please help :(

i had a hard time with the pills to in the first couple of weeks. My doc let me swallow them after 2 weeks. Prior to that it was rough doing the whole crushed thing. My hubby came up with an idea, Jello shots! The Jello just slides right down your throat so it makes it easier and you don't taste that bitterness of the pill. Hope this helps!