Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 6th is coming too quickly!!!!(also quick vent)

June 6, 10:15 am central I will be going under the knife. Its like the weeks and days have passed so fast and I'm really nervous and/or anxious. Mother and friends are trying to talk me out of it saying " why don't you do it the old fashioned way?" I had a cousin that got me soooo upset saying "stop being lazy and get up and jog or something..." Why is it that people have such a problem with our method of losing weight? I told him since its available to me why not do it? If I can use this as a tool to help me in my weight loss struggle, why is this any different from buying a bowflex or a treadmill? The way I see it, this is not gonna be easy either and people are all talk until they get in our situation.....whew.............ok breathe.......lol

I agree completely! I'm tired of hearing the same remarks you are! I say if this is what you want to do---DO IT! I personally want something to help me. I NEED help. If I didn't, I wouldn't be where I am today!

Just tell your cousin that even if you did it the "old fashioned way" (which I am sure you have done many, many times) you would just gain it back and usually more. That's the great difference between having the sleeve and just dieting. As soon as you stray from the diet, you gain. That's just a fact. Sure you have to watch yourself while on maintenance even with the sleeve, but from what I have read, it is much, much easier.

So, it's the keeping it off that makes the difference!

Good luck to yousmile.gif

I hear what you're saying. We've all tried, repeatedly, many things throughout the years usually with not great results. I've come to think of this surgery as maybe not for everyone, but certainly for those feeling prepared to take advantage of science and technology when all else has failed. I don't see it much unlike say an infertility treatment where someone may undergo IVF to conceive where no other way would be possible. I remember the criticisms early on when "test tube babies" were seen as unatural or worse. People were often expected to "just do it the natural way" or otherwise "it's not meant to be." What about angioplasty, where arteries are unclogged surgically but the patient remains responsible afterwards to keep the heart healthy with diet and excercise. Should they skip the procedure?! I don't think so. I think we, meaning society, always go through a period where we poo poo new medical procedures and advances and much of the negativity, in my humble opinion, comes from lack of knowledge and understanding. Stay strong, remember why you chose this. Use your energy to focus on YOU not to "convince" others. Consider who you want to tell and how much. This is YOUR life. Those that can't be supportive may have to take a back seat for a while. My two cents! Best of luck with your surgery and journey!!!

June 6, 10:15 am central I will be going under the knife. Its like the weeks and days have passed so fast and I'm really nervous and/or anxious. Mother and friends are trying to talk me out of it saying " why don't you do it the old fashioned way?" I had a cousin that got me soooo upset saying "stop being lazy and get up and jog or something..." Why is it that people have such a problem with our method of losing weight? I told him since its available to me why not do it? If I can use this as a tool to help me in my weight loss struggle, why is this any different from buying a bowflex or a treadmill? The way I see it, this is not gonna be easy either and people are all talk until they get in our situation.....whew.............ok breathe.......lol

That is EXACTLY why I told NOBODY but my husband. People are so friggen ignorant about the surgery and they piss me the hell off!!!

I don't want to hear the negativity. I know how to lose weight! I have done it over and over, hell I could be a poster child for weight loss! I CAN LOSE WEIGHT, I just CAN NOT keep it off! That is why I had the surgery.

All the nay-sayers can kiss it! :)

Kelly

my sentiments exactly..........

That is EXACTLY why I told NOBODY but my husband. People are so friggen ignorant about the surgery and they piss me the hell off!!!

I don't want to hear the negativity. I know how to lose weight! I have done it over and over, hell I could be a poster child for weight loss! I CAN LOSE WEIGHT, I just CAN NOT keep it off! That is why I had the surgery.

All the nay-sayers can kiss it! :)

Kelly

I am in the same boat. I have not told anyone but my husband, son and best friend. I don't want to hear the negative comments people make. I have lost weight many times. Keeping it off is another problem. I am sure we all have experienced this. Otherwise we would not have sought out alternatives to keeping it off. I want to be healthy. I am so tired of being fat. I admit it. I am fat. I got myself here and I want to do something about it. I have to please no one but me. I choose not to share all the details with others. It is truly a personal decision to do this surgery and I have made my choice.

I do not to be made to feel bad or guilty. I have already felt those things about my weight. I have already heard remarks from others about my weight. Yes I am responsible for my body, good and bad. I know this will be hard. If if was easy, we would all be skinny. How many diets have I tried and failed? How many miles have I walked, how many trips to the gym have I made? How many times have I said "no thank you" when offered food? I am tired of trying and seeing very minimal results or no results. I did supervised weight programs before. Results yes. Good results? No Keep it off? No. I am not giving up by doing surgery. I am progressing to the next level. This is going to lower my blood pressure, control my triglycerides, control my blood sugar. I am using this as a tool just as I would use the treadmill at the gym.

Good luck to you with your surgery and listen to yourself and no one else. rolleyes.gif

When all is said and done: TO THY OWN SELF BE TRUE.

---and welcome!

Valentina

Great response, mnbsleeve! I hadn't thought of it like that before.

I hear what you're saying. We've all tried, repeatedly, many things throughout the years usually with not great results. I've come to think of this surgery as maybe not for everyone, but certainly for those feeling prepared to take advantage of science and technology when all else has failed. I don't see it much unlike say an infertility treatment where someone may undergo IVF to conceive where no other way would be possible. I remember the criticisms early on when "test tube babies" were seen as unatural or worse. People were often expected to "just do it the natural way" or otherwise "it's not meant to be." What about angioplasty, where arteries are unclogged surgically but the patient remains responsible afterwards to keep the heart healthy with diet and excercise. Should they skip the procedure?! I don't think so. I think we, meaning society, always go through a period where we poo poo new medical procedures and advances and much of the negativity, in my humble opinion, comes from lack of knowledge and understanding. Stay strong, remember why you chose this. Use your energy to focus on YOU not to "convince" others. Consider who you want to tell and how much. This is YOUR life. Those that can't be supportive may have to take a back seat for a while. My two cents! Best of luck with your surgery and journey!!!

I've been fortunate enough to have people that are supportive regardless of their personal dilemma with the idea. My father, however, is a pain in the neck. I have NEVER been skinny. My surgeon says some people are just genetically "cursed" with the obesity issue. Now, a curse seems a bit strong, if you ask me! Being a big girl has never really left me wanting more from life. I was on the prom court, I was a popular girl. People compliment my clothes, and often expect me to be smaller than I am. My father has always ridiculed my weight, and thinks the surgery is crap. My father is also an alocholic, so you see why his opinion doesn't weigh in for much, pardon the pun!

People who have never had to deal with the shortness of breath, and the snide remarks, and the poor PE class evals will NEVER understand. So I let them sit there ignorantly, and talk their crap.

This is about YOU. I konw it's hard, but sometimes you have to ignore the opinions of those people. They aren't medical professionals, and if they ARE fat? They don't care! Keep your head up! You're gonna be so successful!