Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Thought is starting to scare me

I have my last doctor appt that will complete my 6 month diet this friday then I will give it to the insurance coordinate with my surgeons office and she'll submit to insurance. But I'm getting so scared now. The thought of the surgury is starting to scare me. I have been so ready and willing to do this the whole time and now coming right down to it. YIKES! I dont want to change my mind, but how do I know if I am READY for this? This isn't even approved yet, no surgery date nothing and I'm starting to get scared already. Any thoughts?

I am not where you are yet, but I can totally understand your fears. You have spent six months working towards this most likely preparing for surgery. It is completely understandable to have doubts, but you wouldn't be doing this is you didn't feel that you didn't need this tool. Good luck! Wishing you a quick approval.

The feelings you are having right now are very common. Take a deep breath and my suggestion to you would be to pull out a sheet of paper. Make two columns: Reasons TO DO it, and Reasons TO NOT do it. Start writing down everything you can think of in the corresponding columns. I am absolutely positive that you will come out way ahead in the "Reasons TO DO it" column.

You're going to feel some rollercoaster of emotions all the way leading up to your surgery date. Read up here and try to find out as much as you can. If all else fails, look through the photo galleries. That personally always kept me moving forward with getting this done!!!

Hugs!!!

I went through the same thing, even after researching for 7 yrs and my life revolving around trying to get it done! When I finally came up with the funds to pay, I was elated. Then panic set in. I was so scared. But I knew there was a reason everything kept coming down to me needing this surgery, most of them health-related. I knew I really didn't have a choice if I wanted any kind of quality of life. Or just life. I wanna be here for my kids. And just existing wasn't enough anymore, I wanted to live. I was tired of life just passing me by. My mobility was being greatly affected. I was holding my family back from activites too, and that wasn't fair to them. So here I am, 2 wks post op. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself!! I am very happy I did it!

:)

The feelings you have are completely natural. I was pretty much where you are one year ago and I was nervous. I was worried about the chances of complications and the fact that I might not be around to see my children grow up if anything happened to me during the surgery. Here I am almost about 11 months post surgery and I have lost 120 pounds. It has not been a complete walk in the park, but having the sleeve has given me a tool to enable me to lose weight in a way and in an amount that was never possible for me. Just today, I was looking at pictures taken last Memorial Day weekend and I can hardly believe it is the same person.

My advice to you is to keep researching and read as much about the surgery as you possibly can so that there are no surprises. I found this site to be invaluable in preparing myself for the surgery.

At the end of the day, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself and my children.

Good luck to you and don't let the fear keep you from making this amazing journey.

Brian

I would think about what led you to this point and why did you want to have it done in the first place? If you back out where will you be? Things like that. You know that you can not do it on your own or you wouldn't be here and come as far as you have!

I did the exact same thing! After my approval and all my classes I thought, WTH am I doing?? This is crazy!! But, I knew at the same time, I had lost and regained the same 100lbs 3 times and would just continue that path if I didn't get help! I was a diabetic and had developed high blood pressure. I was a mess!

It is normal to be scared. You are going to completely change your life (for the better) and can't go back to the old ways no matter how much you want to! It IS kinda scary! But at the same time, it is so refreshing.

I want to be successful and I can be. I really can't fail because I can't eat more than a 1/4 of a cup of food right now (only 3 weeks out). Even if I wanted a cheeseburger, I couldn't eat it! And at the same time, I really don't miss my old habits AT ALL!

Only you know what is best for you and can make that decision, but I don't regreat my decision to have this surgery AT ALL!! I only wish I could have done it 10 years ago!

Best of luck to you. Hugs,

Kelly

I do feel better after reading your messages. I am relating with everyone. I did do a Pros/Cons list and of course the Pros list just flowed over with reasons why i need and want to do this. I really feel I am as prepared as I possible can be. I have read all the great successes on all these messages boards as well as things that were scary as HE11! I am also nervous because I haven't even received approval yet from my insurance so I am thinking I need to prepare myself for "just in case" it doesn't get approved. It is very scary, I think if I were having any type of surgery I would be scared but this is so life changing and I cant' take it back. And would I want to? Just having those Pre-Jitters. I should be excited. I'm sure there will be a point I will get to that. Thank you all for the support. I will be ok. Deep Breath! Lets get through one thing at a time first! :)

I am scheduled for June 16th and pretty nervous myself! It helps me a lot to read here and see how others are so happy they did it. Some you can even find posts similar to this from before the surgery and then read where they are at now, weeks to months to years postop. It helps settle my worried mind. Maybe that can help you too!