Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled in North Carolina

Hi Everyone....

I'm new to this forum but it looks like I'll be checking in regularly before and after surgery. What a great source of knowledge and shared experiences.

I have been scheduled for my Lap-Band Surgery August 15. I am VERY excited...although I have it hidden on my profile (some people have age prejudices), I'm 59 years old and have been dealing with weight issues since I was 9 years old. Up - down - up - down...well, you know the routine. When I inquired about gastric bypass at my current hospital (Mission in Asheville) they told me I was too old (Harumph) They then gave me information on the Lap-Band technique. After a lot of research, I became convinced that this is the surgery for me.

Unfortunately, I have been informed that BCBS of NC will not cover the Lap-Band surgery, so I am forced into a self-pay situation. The up side of that is that the surgery is taking place soon. The down side of that is that I need to lose my pre-op weight pronto.

I guess that's all about me for now. I look forward to getting to know some of you and wish you all the best of luck in your journey.

Lyn

Waynesville, NC

59 years old

255 pounds and going down.

Hey Lyn! Welcome to LBT! You are NOT too old. We have lots of bandsters here your age and older, so no fretting about that! I have BCBS of NC, too and self-payed. Bummer, but I'm sooooo happy with my band! My loss has been slow but I'm getting there! So glad to have you. Waynesville is beautiful mountain country...I love it there! I knew a guy named Bosco that lived there. Yup, that was his real name. I hope I spelled it right! Anyhow, welcome and keep us posted!

Hi Kathy and Mvpo,

Greetings from the mountains where today it's 80 degrees and sunny. Pretty warm for up here. Thanks for the welcome. This is a great forum and I'm looking forward to getting "into it".

Kathy....I don't know your friend Bosco....but to show you that I am in fact my age....I do remember the drink, Bosco! Remember the jingle? "I love Bosco...it's full of Vitamin c......mommy puts it in my milk....." oooops...I can't remember the last line.

Anyway, thanks again for the welcome.

Lyn

I am in NC as well. I was banded at the beginning of March and have been doing great. I'm in Wilmington so I was able to find a great doctor in Myrtle Beach. You are gonna do great!

Hi,

I am new here, live in the Charlotte NC area, has anyone had any experience with any practices in Charlotte or anyone live in Charlotte that has had a banding procedure, I would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

Joe

Hey Lyn...I missed your last post! Sorry! I don't remember the drink Bosco. Am I too young?! Surely not! LOL Have you made any progress on finding a doc? Keep us posted!

editing: I just re-read, and you have a doc and a date! Wavydavy is being banded Aug 15th too. She's in Charlotte. You are in good company!

Welcome to bandland KatieB! You are doing great!

Hey Joe! I PM'd you back. Check your Private Message box in the upper right corner. There are several Charlotte docs. Dr Bauman is in Concord, and Dr Voellinger is in Charlotte. There are several of each docs patients on the board here.

Do you all know how to find the NC forum? Main page...scroll down to USA Local Support, then scroll down to NC, then you will see a list of threads. Happy reading, and jump on in! Most of the other NC gals don't post much on the main boards. You'll get better feedback finding the NC Forum, so go visit!

Welcome to LBT Joe!

Hey everyone...I just saw this. Yeah I don't leave the NC forum much. When I see NC it draws my attention.

Welcome all...hopefully you will find your way to the NC forum we have fun there and you can jump in any conversation. Or start some. :)

Lyn - My sister in law lives in Sylva..I am thinking that isn't to far. It's nice up there. We go up and stay with her some. Maybe we could meet up when I am there sometime.

Katie - Then we have a house in N Myrtle Beach and we go to Wilmington some when we are there...so hear there is another meeting.

Can ya'll tell I LOVE meeting banded people!!!! I guess that is why I love my job so much!!!!

Joe - I actually work for Dr. Voellinger now. So if there is any questions that I can answer please let me know. I can answer the general questions and give you some names of the others in the area. If you want.

Welcome everyone and I hope to chat more.

Just wanted to clarify my question, besides the fact that I have a BMI of almost 40, I also began recently working for a Bariatrics company here in Charlotte and would be interested in talking to folks who have had a band and may be interested in the possibility of working in a call center talking to others who may be interested in the procedure. Wanted to follow up just in the interest of full disclosure.

Thanks for all your kind comments.

Joe

Hi all...

I just wanted to update you. I have my final meeting with surgeon on Monday (and weigh-in!!! Yikes) and then get banded first thing Wednesday morning. I'm getting nervous but looking forward to the results. I think I've lost 14 pounds, so I'm feeling thinner already. We'll seeeeeeee........

Wish me luck!