Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there a point where it becomes dangerous?

I'm a very tight sleeve. I got exactly what I didn't want. I top out at about 3 ounces per "meal" so my meals are almost exclusively Protein. Frankly, once I am out from under the watchful eye of my program I intent to assist the protein with drinks so I have space to eat a bit of other foods, especially once veggies are in season. But right now that's forbidden. Well, I'm lucky if I can get 500 calories a day. And I'm not losing much weight. So the suggestion back was that I need to add cardio into my routine to kick my metabolism into gear. Frankly, there are days when I am lucky to get home from work I am so fatigued that adding cardio in right now is a pipe dream. But I was wondering what those of you who are expert on this process think about this suggestion? Is there a point where an extreme low calorie diet and adding something like cardio into the plan becomes dangerous? Did anyone do this?

I am not. I know it would not be safe for me right now. My body is giving me the answer. I could barely mow the lawn this weekend. I was so wiped out by the job, which I broke into 3 segments, that I'm calling around for estimates to get someone to do it for me the rest of this summer. And I'm cheap and broke so that should tell you how little I feel able to exercise right now!

Thank you for any opinions and experience.

You're on very few calories, so your body is probably in starvation mode and you're therefore not losing. I'd hold off on doing anything too strenuous until you can get your calories up.

Very Low Calorie Diets (these are usually around the 500 cal mark) can be dangerous and are therefore closely supervised. Protein Drinks sound like a good idea, so I'd stick walking and low intensity stuff until you're getting more calories.

BTW how far out are you? Sleeves tend to start stretching a bit around the 6 month mark.

I am so glad to see this topic, as I went for a 3 mile walk yesterday. Felt kinda dizzy afterwards, today really lightheaded when I get up from a sitting position!

I am 3 weeks out and not eating more than 350 calories a day. I am worried that I may have overdid it and am going to try to get some more calories in today, but it is just hard to do at this point!

Kelly :(

Wow Kelly, that's very low!! You probably need to get some juice in to help with your blood sugar and the dizziness. I know you're meant to have calorie free drinks, but 350cals isn't sustainable (and you're going to start losing muscle).

The hospital gave me apple juice (as well as tea, broth and jello) in the days following my surgery, so I'd use it in the short term until some of your surgery swelling goes down and you can get in some real food.< /span>

I am so glad to see this topic, as I went for a 3 mile walk yesterday. Felt kinda dizzy afterwards, today really lightheaded when I get up from a sitting position!

I am 3 weeks out and not eating more than 350 calories a day. I am worried that I may have overdid it and am going to try to get some more calories in today, but it is just hard to do at this point!

Kelly :(

If I were you this is what I'd do. First off LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! I would not start cardio at all I would do weight training if you want to but being able to eat such a small amount could lead you to dizziness when doing cardio. I would up your meals to 5-6 of protien. I wouldn't think about calories but rather having good protien. Look at our ancestors they ate very low carb high protien diets and worked all day long.

Is there a point where an extreme low calorie diet and adding something like cardio into the plan becomes dangerous? Did anyone do this?

Yes. When I was a practicing bulimi-rexic. Don't. do. it.

Take gentle walks at most. Focus on getting more food/protein in, you are on too few calories IMO. Can you add some Snacks between meals to get more in? Good luck!!

I am only on pureed foods at this point and can only do about 1/4 c before I am full.

I do fine with liquids such as Water and tea. I think today I may have some milk to give me some more calories. I have been drinking V-8 as well to give me more nutrients as I have been worried about not getting enough.I also do a Protein drink daily with a banana in it. I just worry that I will never be able to eat more again.

I am sure it will eventually get better, but it just seems like it is taking forever. I know it has only been 3 weeks, but I don't know what to do!

Kelly

Don't worry. You have a lot of swelling and that should go down a lot in the next week or 2. Don't wish it away too much, as you'll miss it somewhat when you're restriction lessens.

I am only on pureed foods at this point and can only do about 1/4 c before I am full.

I do fine with liquids such as Water and tea. I think today I may have some milk to give me some more calories. I have been drinking V-8 as well to give me more nutrients as I have been worried about not getting enough.I also do a Protein drink daily with a banana in it. I just worry that I will never be able to eat more again.

I am sure it will eventually get better, but it just seems like it is taking forever. I know it has only been 3 weeks, but I don't know what to do!

Kelly

Yes. When I was a practicing bulimi-rexic. Don't. do. it.

Take gentle walks at most. Focus on getting more food/protein in, you are on too few calories IMO. Can you add some Snacks between meals to get more in? Good luck!!

Frankly that was the first thought that shot through my brain. I didn't sign on for what would be diagnosed as an eating disorder if a surgeon wasn't involved.

And yes, I think I can add some nibbles in between the 3 hours. So what would be a good calorie level to shoot for. While going for Protein alone may work for most, I have a real issue with low blood sugar and need help there. Protein alone leaves me too weak. I tested my blood sugar one day during the pre-surgery diet and it was 58. When I had asked what I should do if that were to happen while on that diet the answer was ...and I quote...."tough it out". It really makes me wonder sometimes. I didn't "tough it out" but ate some applesauce. Seemed more logical to me. And that would be the type of "snacking" I can add to my daily diet but I do want to make sure I don't accidentally inch up too high.

You're on very few calories, so your body is probably in starvation mode and you're therefore not losing. I'd hold off on doing anything too strenuous until you can get your calories up.

Very Low Calorie Diets (these are usually around the 500 cal mark) can be dangerous and are therefore closely supervised. Protein drinks sound like a good idea, so I'd stick walking and low intensity stuff until you're getting more calories.

BTW how far out are you? Sleeves tend to start stretching a bit around the 6 month mark.

Oh, I am so hopeful that happens. I'm only 5 weeks out.

I'm very surprised. I am not emotionally bothered by being able to eat so little and that was my main pre-surgery concern. I don't really mind. But the idea of having to work around this sleeve for the rest of my life isn't appealing. I'd love to be able to eat the equivalent of a lean cuisine for a meal and be done with it. But right now, that's 3 meals.

I'd be fine with losing slowly if I am some day at that point. So this gives me hope.

Well, my program is controversial sometimes, but I'm happy to tell you my own experience. I have gotten at least 700 cals per day since the second week post-op, and I'm up to 1000-ish now. I am also required to eat carbs every day, so I do. I find it absolutely to be helpful to my energy levels, my memory and thinking, and my blood sugar levels. I do eat a lot of Protein, but I also get in 70-90 carbs per day, almost all of those from whole-grain crackers/bread or potatoes/pasta. There is a huge emphasis on eating (not drinking) your calories here, and eating a balanced diet from the start -- including carbs and fruit/veg. So I personally really like this approach, I would never do a liquid diet or massive calorie counting or restriction (these are triggers for me), which I'm not asked to do here anyhow. I wouldn't do it, though, even if I were in the US, so it's just down to my personal needs and knowing what I can -- and cannot -- sustain. I find it extremely positive to learn to really listen to your body and treat it well.

(ETA: I do eat three meals and three Snacks per day on my plan.)

Best of luck to you. :)

Exercise is important, but our bodies were not meant to work hard on only 350 calories. If you're 3 weeks out and only consuming 350 calories, maybe walking 3 miles isn't such a good idea.

I'm not a doctor, but most seem to suggest little exercise for the first 6 weeks. You're still healing, and while walking is good to promote healing and lessen the risk of blood clots, I think they meant a little bit here and there, not 3 miles.

If you get the shakes, do a shot of juice to help raise your blood sugar. If you can, add a bit of Protein so your body can metabolize it better and not give you an insulin spike then rapid decline.

gl, it will get better.

I'm not a doctor, but most seem to suggest little exercise for the first 6 weeks. You're still healing, and while walking is good to promote healing and lessen the risk of blood clots, I think they meant a little bit here and there, not 3 miles.

Excellent point, and totally true. I was forbidden from anything but walking for six weeks, and walking was just meant to give a bit of gentle movement and breathing, not a big workout or long distance.

i appreciate everyone's input about my eating, I SERIOUSLY can not do more than what I am eating. I don't what to do.

I try to eat 1/2 c at every meal, but am only able to eat about 1/2 of it before I am done. i can do unlimited liquids so, I just drank a carnation instant Breakfast and feel a little better and not so light headed.

i am going to make my Protein Drink later and put some Peanut Butter in it. i guess i just need to be creative and find ways to up my calories without eating them (so to speak).

I have to stay on purees for another week, then can go to soft foods. Hopefully, on that stage, I will be able to eat more calories.

I just feel so defeated! :(

Kelly