Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A "Blindmama" on a Mission to a Better me

Hello all, I'm Karen. And I am new to all of this, so I hope i do it right. :)

I am a 33 year old wife and mom living in gloucester point VA. Kind of secluded spot, but I have lived in Gloucester most of my life. I have a husband (14 years and counting) and an 11 year old son.

I have always been well not skinny. In high school i was a size 16 which to the kids then was practically the size of a house!!!! I am also legally blind, which does tie into my story because I have been that way since 1990.

After being married, I had to have knee surgery on both knees from an acident. That is when the real weight gain began. Having no weight bearing for 6 months, no matter how good your diet is, really does bad tricks to your body. I gained most of my weight then. Since then, I have been in and out of the orthopedic ofice.

Being almost blind, i can't get out and excercise as much as i would like. I do things close to home, but i can drive, and everyone works so it is difficult to get a ride to the gym. I tried to keep my diet good, but i gave in sometimes.

I think thte real deal breaker for me was when last year, I had lost 30 poundsand i was so excited!!! I was getting ready to head out the door and i tweaked my knee, well poop!!! I was in a knee immobilizer for a month,a nd all the weight i lost came rushing back. Even though I kept to my diet, the inactivity killed me. I was SO mad!! Then the orthopedic said the next fix for my knees would be replacement. Um....NO

I got in touch with the weight loss surgery center here in Newport News and went to the first seminar in January. I was scared, but I pushed through with it, and had my Sleeve Gastrectomy on May 19th. My doctor is Dr. Terracina at Mary Immaculate Hospital.

I have had no ill effects from the surgery thus far. Everything seems to be going well. I can say i don't care for the liquid diet lol, and am not looking forward the the puree either, but if it leads to a healthier me, I'm all for it.

So, my weight loss so far is 23 pounds. I was scared really bad as I thought fast loss was bad, but after talking to my doctors I am assured it is normal for rapid loss in the beginning.

Well, that is my story up til now. I am getting ready to go and work the treadmill for a while.

:) Karen S.

Hi Karen! Welcome and congrats on your sleeve. It sounds like you are doing great! Thanks for sharing your story!

Well welcome to this board, you will find that everyone here is so supportive and helpful. Just ask and I am sure you will get multiple responses from newbies to veterans. Congratulations on getting your sleeve!!

Best of luck to you! You will be past those liquids and mushies faster than you think. The sleeve has been a miracle for me.

I think thte real deal breaker for me was when last year, I had lost 30 poundsand i was so excited!!! I was getting ready to head out the door and i tweaked my knee, well poop!!! I was in a knee immobilizer for a month,a nd all the weight i lost came rushing back. Even though I kept to my diet, the inactivity killed me. I was SO mad!! Then the orthopedic said the next fix for my knees would be replacement. Um....NO

:) Karen S.

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your journey.

Sounds like a pretty rough time getting to this point. I was scheduled for the sleeve in 8-2010, but had to delay it because of a fall injury that required a total knee replacement. I was finally sleeved in 4-2011. I don't quite understand why you said "NO" to the knee replacement. I didn't have a choice because I couldn't live with the pain of the injury. It is right up there with the sleeve as one of the best things I've had done. I was very afraid of the rehab, but it was much easier than I thought. I went into it thinking I was going to be the best and quickest rehab they ever saw, and I was. I know you may have your reasons for not wanting the knee done, but give it a little more thought...a new knee with considerably less pain plus not having to carry around all that extra poundage. What a combo!!

I look forward to hearing your progress reports...Kathe

Hey My name is Miranda congrats on the sleeve I know its so hard being legally blind i have retina pigmentosia

It sounds like life has thrown you a lot of curve balls but you are going to win! Welcome and good luck to you. I had my surgery on May 17th, so we are pretty close in that respect. Take care!