Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing this right??? Restriction question.

Banded June 5th, on Soft Foods now. Wanting to stay low carb, but it is really hard. Have been eating canned Soups, Jello pudding (sugar free), SF ice cream, mashed potatoes, etc... eggs do not work. I have not lost any weight in the past two weeks.

Today I made tuna with mayo. Ate three bites and felt "restricted" so I stopped. Tonight I ate a can of Soup and got the whole can of Progresso down with no problem. My guess is I am restricted if I eat the hard foods and skip the liquids.

Really tempted to do the tuna/chicken salad for a few days to see if I am restricted, but want to know quantities.

So basically, 1/2 cup or under? If I am restricted, what is the limit on Soups and stuff?

I can literally eat a ton of soup/ice cream with no restricted feeling at all. I know that is wrong, :help:

You will always be more restricted on harder foods - and tuna to me is one of the hardest, its very "sticky".

I eat loads of Soup becuase its a great way to get in lots of vegetables, home made Soups like minestrone fill me up pretty well, OK I eat a normal sized bowlful, but heck, its not a million calories, its not high fat, so I eat however much it takes to make me feel satisfied. When I eat harder foods I eat a bit less. Its that simple. You eat what you feel like eating and you eat till you're no longer hungry, regardless of how much that is. If its routinely a lot then its time for another fill.

Works for me, anyway, I'm losing albeit slowly. But early on I lose very fast.

My doctor said that during this phase it is normal to either lose only 3 lbs or even gain 3 lbs because of the food available. Make sure to drink lots of Water.

Regarding quantities, he said to start out with a few tablespoons and then wait a few minutes to see how you feel. Then eat a few more. He said he thought between 1/4 c to 1/2 c total, which I'm closer to the 1/2 c., but I've noticed it depends on what I'm eating.

Do what I do, take a bite of food and then put the fork/spoon down inbetween each bite. That helps you to eat much slower, which is good because you will feel fuller sooner.

I think I am restricted and have just been doing things wrong.

Today I drank a Protein shake for Breakfast and got the whole thing down (16 oz). Drank 20 oz Water bottle, waited 30 minutes and then sat down to eat Wendy's Chili. Ate very slowly and was full with only half of the serving.

I am really anxious about the ease of things going thru the band. If I am "restricted" and can still get so much down, I am in trouble.

With perfect restriction, liquids will still go through the band, so Soups, ice cream - which liquifies as soon as it melts, which happens as soon as it's in your warm tummy, will all go right through to your lower/regular stomach. Liquids won't stay in the pouch. You will always have to moderate yourself on those foods, the band won't effect them. Once you are healed enough to tolerate solids, make sure you are getting your food from solid foods, and not having liquids with your meals, and not drinking liquids for an hour after you eat. Drinking can wash food through allowing you to eat more. Once you are able to tolerate solids, you should be avoiding liquid calories. If you're not sure chat with your Dr. about their recommended eating guidelines...

XO

Leila

My doctor said that I wouldn't have restriction until after my first fill. I was banded 1 day after you and I can easily eat a can of Soup. I think you are okay. Liquids go down and don't fill the pouch so try and gauge when you are fill. But I know that is difficult if you can't feel the restriction.