Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long story: I have 2 seniors in my family I am legal guardian too. (I'm not a saint. It was rather thrust on me and it's been difficult.) Well, I knew a day would come when I got am emergency call that come with looking after people in their 80's. I went back to work yesterday and today I got the 7:00 a.m. call to get to the emergency room. First, I felt horrible having to take a day of vacation after being off for surgery but I went. I threw a Protein Drink, yogurt and put 2 ounces of cottage cheese in my lunch bag and off I ran. I was actually very proud that I had given this thought in advance and knew what to do to pull me through the day. Well, my relative had been decked by another resident in the home so not only did I have to deal with the poor guy being upset and injured, the police had to be involved as it was a significant attack. Stitches were involved. People with dementia often hit with canes and this guy really belted my Uncle. So in the process of the anxiety and all, I LEFT my lunch bag in the car! It was feeding time when I realized what I'd done. Uggg. The cafeteria is on the other side of the building (why don't they build small hospitals anymore?) so today was a challenge. I basically nibbled on what I could find. What a day. I'm starting to really get frustrated by my low capacity sleeve. It's a month now and I'm still on 2 ounces and feeling stuffed. I'm getting healthy to the point that I think it's normal that I want and crave more. Not asking for a lot but 4 or 5 ounces would be wonderful.

On the other hand, It is nice to be able to eat less than one Peanut Butter cracker from the machine and be held for 2 hours. And I know what I had planned will work if I had done a bit better and actually taken the bag in before it got baked in the car. I will be so happy when I am a bit further out and can eat a little more variety. I just don't know how people do it when I read that not far out at all they are eating "real" food. Anything much solid at all feels like a knot in my stomach after just one small bite. Maybe in the long run it's good I'm this way. I just don't know. But I know that I'm longing for either some weight loss (still not really happening) or the stomach to loosen up a bit.

Mainly, I know to keep a few "emergency" foods on the shelf in the fridge. Even if it's not perfect eating, I can really seen where as long as I am still needing very soft and very small amounts, I need to stay on top of the planning part of this and not get lazy.

What a day. I'm beat.

What a horrid day. Sorry you had to experience that. I completely "get" you when you say you either want to see some weight drop or want to be able to eat a little more--I feel that way, too! I think you did well thinking of the Peanut Butter crackers--not the best food in the world, but some Protein and easy to tolerate under stressful situations....

Hang in there. Here's hoping that the rest of your week is peaceful!

Meg