Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having second thoughts?

Hey everyone....so I've been posting here off and on for a few months while going through the pre-op process.

Well I finally got all my requirements finished and my "packet" sent off to the insurance company for approval. I have been doing TONS of research on the sleeve and felt completely comfortable, full steam ahead....UNTIL NOW.

I have lost 23 lbs since my first surgeon visit because he gave me some motivation and accountability that I needed to get going. However, I still have at least 160 lbs to go but this good start has got those surgery doubts starting again....

You know the ones....."You don't need to take this risk....you can do it on your own. Look you lost 23 lbs already in 2 months without it, blah blah blah".

So now my mind is really messing with me. Any thoughts, words of wisdom, or encouragement?

Thanks!

When I have the second and third (even fourth and fifth) thoughts about doing the surgery after I had made my decision, I go back to the reasons why I chose to have the surgery in the first place.

1) The diets don't work long term for me. I want something that will give me long term weight loss because I don't want to be this heavy anymore.

2) I want my health to improve and that won't happen without significant weight loss that is long term.

3) I know me. If I try the other diets, I don't end up changing my habits to promote good health for the long term. This surgery will force me to change those habits.

That's just some of the reasons of course. But you get the idea. Doing this gets me past those second thoughts.

Just think about why you chose to have the surgery in the first place. It may not be helpful to everyone, but that's what works for me.

I had zero issues losing weight in certain increments such as 20lbs, 50lbs here and there, the issue was keeping it off. Plus, the constant hunger, deprivation dieting I did to lose that weight was just an endless cycle. For me, surgery was really my last straw to long term success, and keeping it off.

I was tired of the ups and downs of real dieting. My commitment to the lifelong changes just wasn't going to happen without surgical intervention. I appreciated everyone's concern about the risk, but the risks of staying fat long term were more overwhelming that my worries with surgery.

I think you'll do amazing, and just hold tight to the research you've gathered.

It totally agree with Tiffykins and Nancy R., I too always had troubles keeping the weight off. And the struggle of a diet, I always suffered so much hunger while dieting... I was unhappy all the time. Now I can deal with a deal, I don't feel like I am depriving myself of something anymore.

People were like "you ONLY have to lose 81 lbs, why can't you just go on a diet?". Because I can't. Because I was too hungry to resist temptations.

Now everything is fine. Of course you have to adjust to your new life and your new stomach, but once you do, you understand what precious gift you were given.

I mean, are you sure you are ready to deal with diet and hunger all your life? If so, why haven't you done it before? These questions made me make the right decision.

I haven't had a single regret.and I would do it all over again.

I would assume that you have no co-morbidities. I have lost and re-gained hundreds of pounds over my lifetime. The sleeve is a tool that I need to control my appetite, nothing more. I am 49 years old and If I could have had this done almost 20 years ago when I was 320 lbs, I would have saved myself a lot pf problems and really would have been able to fully enjoy my 30s and 40s. I had probably lost 200lbs during that time, re-gaining all but 20. I was down to as low as 229 but it always crept back/ Once the Diabetes set in, I was unable to lose much at all. In the beginning of last year I at 300lbs, asked my primary care physician if he thought weight loss surgery might be an answer. He told me he would not only approve of it, he would recommend it for me. In March of 2010, I attended the informational seminar, was set on getting the lap band or nothing. My surgeon talked about the sleeve and the great results he was getting, I decided to do it. I got through all of the pre surgery hurdles quickly and was approved the first week of May. I am 2 weeks shy of a year post op. I have zero and I mean zero regrets about having the surgery, It saved my life, got me off of the 5 mediations I was taking daily. My co morbidities are gone. It is not a magic bullet, it is mentally hard to re-learn a lifetime of bad habits. It was so worth it for me. Whatever you decide, you have to do what you feel most comfortable with. Trust your gut. You might be able to lose the weight and keep it off by strictly diet and exercise. Good luck, you are facing a tough decision.

I agree completely with what the other posters said. Nancy said everything that I would say and said it better. My only comment is that I "only" had X number of pounds to lose and I too did pretty well on my pre-op diet. I had those second thoughts before surgery and tried to tell myself that I could just focus and do this on my own. But I have lost weight in the past and not been able to keep it off.

The big, big, big difference (for me) after surgery is that I am not hungry AND I physically can't overstuff this tiny tummy without vomiting. So even if head hunger gets me and I want to run out have something bad for me...I can only get a few bites in. I am so grateful to have had the surgery and would do it again in a second. You have to make the right decision for you but don't let fear and "what ifs" get the way of healthier future! Good luck! :D

Funny that you are saying this!! I was just talking to my neice on Saturday about how happy I am I did this and that yeah I could have lost 30 pounds on weight watchers, but never in a month. Plus I had 120 pounds to lose, I don't believe that I would be able to lose that much weight on WW...This has been the best thing I could have done!!

I wish you the best of luck!!

I totally agree with everyone else, but have to throw my 2 cents in anyway. The decision is ultimatley up to you and only you. Nobody can make that choice for you!

I have lost and re-gained 100lbs 3 times in the past 10 years. I KNOW I can lose weight. I just can NOT keep it off. The minute I eat something I am not suppose to, I gain 5lbs from it!! I am not a person that can just eat 1 of anything. I have TOO BIG of an appetite for that and because I could eat 5 pieces of pizza I did! That is what got me into trouble. Now that I am sleeved, I will not be able to do that anymore and that is what will work for me!

The last time I lost 112lbs, I gained it back in less than a year and I became a type 2 diabetic and my bp went thru the roof! That was a HUGE eye opener for me and before that moment, I have NEVER considered wls. I talked to my dr. about it and he sent me to see the man that on 5/9/11 saved my life. I truely believe that I was a ticking time bomb and that the yo-yo dieting I was doing for years would have killed me and I am only 36!

In 2 short weeks, I have come off my bp and diabetic meds and have already lost 8 lbs! I researched the heck out of the sleeve procedure and knew it was the right thing for me. I never had second thoughts and was never scared about it. I know I have made the right decision and it is the best present I could have ever given myself!

Best of luck to you in what ever you choose!

Kelly :D

I moved through the process and approved by both on my insurance companies in three months. I was fully sure of my decision until the last day. The day before and the day of my surgery were horrible with doubts. I even asked my husband if it was too late while I was in the OR Prep area with IV and all ready to go. I had lost 43 lbs on my pre-op diet, even though I had almost 100 more to go, I figured there was no need to take the risk. For me, the key was, sure I could lose the weight but how would I keep it off. Will power is great but will only take you so far.

I won't lie to you. The first week afterwards was pure hell. Not pain wise, but mentally. I thought I had prepared myself fully. I had given up carbs for 3 months, I could do this. I hadn't. The constant sipping was tidious to say the least. I thought, how in the world am I ever going to live a "normal life again". I thought WTH have I done to myself, how could I be so stupid to make this choice. I even admitted this to my husband who was sceptical at first. To my surprise, he just reminded me that I had majory surgery and it would get better.

As many on here say, it really does get better every day. Here I am at day 14, I feel almost normal. I still get a little tired each day but I also returned to work (desk job) after only one week. I am down 15.4 lbs since surgery. And....I am so glad I stayed my course. I do not regret my decision at all.

It's scary but it so worth it.