Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After a week that I can describe as ranging from NO energy to teensy bit of energy- my nutritionist prescribed plan of adding a few carbs every day seems to have worked. I am not talking out of control here- I am talking about 40-50 carbs a day instead of the 3-4 I was getting. It even took a few days! Today at last I felt almost like myself and went on the longest walk I have managed yet.

I think we get so gung ho out of the starting gate- thinking of carbs as bad and thinking so much about the protein- we forget we are healing from major surgery and need to nourish ourselves. I also was getting about 400 calories a day and had not only stalled but GAINED 2 pounds.

Now I am up to about 600-700, 40-60 carbs, and 80-90 grams of Protein.< /p>

My main problem is forgetting to drink so I still set my phone for every 15 minutes after skipping it for a couple of days and finding myself at the end of the day and behind on my Water.< /p>

This is how my day goes now

In the morning my husband brings in a 32 ounce bottle of water , a 12 ounce cup of Decaf tea, and sometimes a 16 ounce bottle of propel that I keep sipping at and working at all day with a goal of all of them being gone.

I also start my first Protein Drink - 3 scoops of champion pro score, 8 ounces of decaf and four ice cubes bended. Like it a lot and can see keeping that in the morning for a while to come. 8 ounces of Fluid AND 45 grams of protein.

Then comes my second protein drink of the day - 1 scoop chike strawberry , one cup milk, 1/4 cup greek yogurt (sometimes 2 chike and 1/2 milk 1/2 cup water) for 30-35 grams

SO I am already at 75-80 grams and can then just add 1/4 cup greek yogurt to a Soup thinned with milk, or just have thinned cream of wheat with milk to bring me up to 90 grams.

And sip sip sip and walk walk walk.

And that is me at basically two weeks. I have to add I am bored out of my mind of liquids. I want to chew. I am hoping my doctor on Wednesday at my two weeks post op puts me on mushies, but I have a feeling it might be full liquids adding only cottage cheese. Oh well. You can chew that at least!

Oh and I have lost 27 pounds since my preop started- 9 since surgery

II hope this helps anyone as the head into surgery and beyond...

Great update meggie!

You are really getting in that Protein. I'm going to strive for your kind of numbers after surgery. I'm encouraged by your progress because you had some bumps right after surgery. Good to know things get better and better.

I have been on my pre surgery liquid diet for 5 days and I want to chew anything! The dogs rawhide chew is starting to look good!

I agree with you that post surgery you need the calories to get your energy level back to something nearly normal -- how else are you going to walk and be more active???

Your posts help me understand what to expect after surgery so keep us all posted!

Hi Meggie,

Congrats on the weight loss!! Glad you are doing well and your energy level is increasing. Your husband sounds like a real sweetie!

Somehow I got my day count wrong. Today (Monday), it has been one week since I was sleeved last Tuesday. I'm looking forward to talking with the Dr. and getting advanced to something besides Water and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup. I have spurts of energy and can walk a few blocks or do other activities. Yesterday, I dust mopped the floors and ran a swiffer duster over the furniture. It feels so good to be getting back to normal activities. My weight is still up from the IV push, but the numbers are starting to go back down. Yahoo!

Lynda

Great update meggie!

You are really getting in that Protein. I'm going to strive for your kind of numbers after surgery. I'm encouraged by your progress because you had some bumps right after surgery. Good to know things get better and better.

I have been on my pre surgery liquid diet for 5 days and I want to chew anything! The dogs rawhide chew is starting to look good!

I agree with you that post surgery you need the calories to get your energy level back to something nearly normal -- how else are you going to walk and be more active???

Your posts help me understand what to expect after surgery so keep us all posted!

OH my I remember how that two weeks of pre-op was! HOnestly- even with the pain, the inability to swallow at first, etc. I can say the pre-op was almost harder- because you still have the hunger of a big old stomach! I can truly say I rarely feel hunger- when I do it is stimulated by the smell of cooking more than anything. I really do have to pay attention to get those drinks going etc. LOL on the rawhide chew! My dog, by the way, is really suffering the most- his mama/spoil me with sharing food partner in crime is gone!

I will indeed keep posting- and my You Tube link is in my signature- I update very regularly. I got so much help from those before me that I want to pay it forward and each day is an adventure in figuring out how this new thumby of mine works.

Tonight, btw, I had cream of wheat for the first time- yumm!!! Very thinned with milk but still thicker than most of what I have tried. For the first time, eating it with a spoon- I had this feeling- I can hardly even describe it- I burped a bit (I burp a LOT!) and I just kind of knew that was enough. I felt a tiny twinge in my stomach- not pain exactly- just a little twinge, and knew I had done the right thing.

Those burps- well, I=every time I drink I burp I think my body does that to get rid of the air and even though we laugh a lot about it I actually appreciate it because I have heard others mention the air hurts. Mine comes right up!

Feel free to ask me questions too.

Hi Meggie,

Congrats on the weight loss!! Glad you are doing well and your energy level is increasing. Your husband sounds like a real sweetie!

Somehow I got my day count wrong. Today (Monday), it has been one week since I was sleeved last Tuesday. I'm looking forward to talking with the Dr. and getting advanced to something besides Water and unjury chicken Soup. I have spurts of energy and can walk a few blocks or do other activities. Yesterday, I dust mopped the floors and ran a swiffer duster over the furniture. It feels so good to be getting back to normal activities. My weight is still up from the IV push, but the numbers are starting to go back down. Yahoo!

Lynda

My husband is an absolute darling . He takes such good care of me- it is not something new to him as I have had surgeries, several falls, and a life of pain that varies in its effect on my life. Every morning in he comes with my Water, tea, and the first Protein drink. He has lost his eating buddy but we are carving out new things to share.

I really think my advice about the carbs will help you too. I just think over time having only the Unjury and water will wear you and keep you from getting your energy back - at least that has been true for me- that week of clears plus protein wore me down to zero energy. In addition- my own opinion is the diarrhea is just your body adjusting to the bizarre and extreme thing that happened. Mine had cleared up ( almost) and my body is getting adjusted to this new state of affairs. In any case- I am just glad I don't have the opposite condition!

Keep me posted- I have been thinking about you. BTW I usually think of a week as every Monday- I was sleeved on Monday so every Monday is my surgeversary.

Thanks MeggieP for keeping us updated! I'll have to keep the carb deal in mind...It makes a whole lot of sense. When you blend your Protein drink in the blender to you have issues with foam? I like the idea of adding greek yogurt to it, I'll have to try that.

Holly

Thanks Meggie for the update, I think we got sleeved on the same day so it's nice to compare notes. I must say today is the first day I woke up with no pain, I expected it as I rolled out of bed but there was none, so Yaaay!!! Also it was a pleasant surprise to get on the scale and see that I've lost a total of 30 pounds from my high weight. Keep up the good work, and keep us updated, it really helps!

Thanks MeggieP for keeping us updated! I'll have to keep the carb deal in mind...It makes a whole lot of sense. When you blend your Protein drink in the blender to you have issues with foam? I like the idea of adding greek yogurt to it, I'll have to try that.

Holly

Yes I do have foam so I let it sit for a while until the foam dissipates. I use a wonderful stainless steel Camelback cup that will keep something cold ALL day- it is wonderful They have them at REI- there are several kinds of insulated but the one for all day ($30 but REI is 25% off this week) is the one. Keeping the Protein drinks cold is so important for me being able to finish them.

Yes- the greek yogurt is so awesome for cutting the sicky sweet flavor and making it more tolerable. It is great in Soup too- like sour cream- and adds Protein,

Thanks Meggie for the update, I think we got sleeved on the same day so it's nice to compare notes. I must say today is the first day I woke up with no pain, I expected it as I rolled out of bed but there was none, so Yaaay!!! Also it was a pleasant surprise to get on the scale and see that I've lost a total of 30 pounds from my high weight. Keep up the good work, and keep us updated, it really helps!

I was on the 9th so leadin' the way by two days ;-P

30 pounds- awesome! Isn't it kind of amazing? I am still a bit dazed by the concept of being 28 pounds down (this a.m.) from my high weight starting my two week pre-op.

I also have video logs (see link below) and share tips about stuff etc. I was helped so much by others on You Tube I want to share too.

I figure we can all give each other tips to negotiate this journey!

I am glad you are doing well. I am so happy for you. I did my weekly weigh in I have lost 40 pounds. I cant believe. I told my husband to pitch me am I dreaming. I am looking for the stall to come soon. I am still having problems with getting all my Proteins. I am working hard on it. I am feeling better everyday. I am so happy for everyone. I am just happy :rolleyes:

I am glad you are doing well. I am so happy for you. I did my weekly weigh in I have lost 40 pounds. I cant believe. I told my husband to pitch me am I dreaming. I am looking for the stall to come soon. I am still having problems with getting all my Proteins. I am working hard on it. I am feeling better everyday. I am so happy for everyone. I am just happy :rolleyes:

Isn't it amazing? I can't quite really wrap my mind around it- it hardly seems real as it happened so fast. This has never happened before for me. Hopefully some of my tips for Protein helped you! I think it is important because if you give your body Protein it will turn to the fat cells for burning instead of muscle.