Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, tomorrow my nut will be calling me and I will get to advance my diet to the "SOFT FOOD" stage. Some of you all call it "MUSHIES" or "PUREED"

Can you all give me some ideas on what you ate at this stage. My book gives me a few ideas, but I don't want to get stuck eating the same things all of the time like the full-liquid stage.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks,

Kelly :D

My mushies/soft food consist of:

tuna

eggs

corned beef hash

pudding & Jello (not really a fan)

soft fish

mashed meat (meatballs, turkey chili)

mashed potatoes

Soup

refried Beans

soft cheeses

seafood

yogurt

humus

dips (crab dip, spinach/artichoke)

Beans

sure there's more i'm forgetting, but this is generally

This is what my book says (I am not there yet):

canned fruit (in own Juice)

fruit, ripe with peel removed (but no apples, oranges, grapefruit, pineapple or grapes yet)

Melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew)

Canned vegetables (no corn, lima Beans, english peas or spinach yet)

Cooked Beans (pinto, kidney, navy or black)

Cream of Rice

Cream of Wheat

oatmeal

Cottage cheese

Yogurt (low fat, low sugar)

cheese, low fat (no melted/ stringy cheese yet)

Sliced lunch meat, chicken, turkey or ham

Canned fish (tuna, salmon and low fat mayo

eggs, scrambled, boiled, poached (not fried)

Crackers, low fat

Soups, low fat

Fish, not fried

Potatoes- mashed or baked

Chili

Hummus

Its so weird cuz my plan has pureed, mushy, n soft all in their own category. I'm on pureed now n love these few recipes I discovered. One is my own and the other from eggface:

Enchilladas w/out tortillas.

Blend 2oz of shreeded beef, grated cheese, n enchillada sauce. Heat for a min n top with sour cream!!

Ricotta bake (eggface recipe)

8oz ricotta cheese mixed w/ 1egg, italian seasoning, 1/2c parm cheese. Spread in baking dish. Top with 1/2c marinara sauce n 1/2c grated mozzerella. Bake @ 450 for 20-25 mins. Makes about 4 servings

I love both so much!!!!

Yeah, it is weird how our diets vary. I go from full liquids to soft foods. No "mushies".

Yea, my program considers these all different types of foods. For instance, instant mashed potatoes slightly thinned with a bit of extra milk are mushies. Yogart's mushy. It's described as something that still would not require chewing to be safe to eat. Something like cooked chicken would be pureed and have some broth or gravy added to be mushy.

Then something like a Lean Cuisine ravioli would be considered a soft food. You need to chew, but the texture is still soft. Making chicken salad w/ pureed chicken but without the broth or gravy to make it more mushy would be soft.

I'm not sure how important these different steps are but in my program they are each 3 weeks long. Then finally, you are off to the races with no restrictions apart from the normals of quantities and timing and such.

That is how I am confused!!

So many of you call the stage after "FULL LIQUIDS" so many different things. My stage is called "PUREED".

I know it is stuff you put in the blender and puree. But, that is what I am asking, what do you all eat????

I just don't want to get stuck eating chicken, egg and tuna salad all of the time!!

My next stage after puree is "SOFT FOODS". It IS weird how everyone has a differnt plan.

I am just looking for ideas. Is that Ricotta bake considered pureed? I am confused.

Thanks,

Kelly :D

Ricotta is both mushy & soft. If you know it's consistancy, its in both categories. Mushies are different than soft b/c you may have scrambled eggs n mushy stage but not a hard boiled egg...that would be soft stage. You may have chicken in mushy only if its blended but may have crock pot chicken in soft.

Does that help a little???

Hi Kelly,

I agree, this so confusing. My Dr. said I could start experimenting with mushies a spoonful at a time. While my nutritionist said anything should be the consistency of baby food - no chewing required.

This is what my book says (I am not there yet):

canned fruit (in own Juice)

fruit, ripe with peel removed (but no apples, oranges, grapefruit, pineapple or grapes yet)

Melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew)

Canned vegetables (no corn, lima Beans, english peas or spinach yet)

Cooked Beans (pinto, kidney, navy or black)

Cream of Rice

Cream of Wheat

oatmeal

Cottage cheese

Yogurt (low fat, low sugar)

cheese, low fat (no melted/ stringy cheese yet)

Sliced lunch meat, chicken, turkey or ham

Canned fish (tuna, salmon and low fat mayo

eggs, scrambled, boiled, poached (not fried)

Crackers, low fat

Soups, low fat

Fish, not fried

Potatoes- mashed or baked

Chili

Hummus

My book lists oatmeal, cream of wheat, crackers, Soup and potatos as foods to avoid at all costs and no fruits and veggies until your 9 months out.

My book lists oatmeal, cream of wheat, crackers, Soup and potatos as foods to avoid at all costs and no fruits and veggies until your 9 months out.

Amazing. I was given cream of wheat thinned as one of the foods to eat the first 3 weeks as a full liquid!

Additionally, I was really suffering with low blood sugar and told to have a cracker by my bed and eat it before getting up.

Just one saltine but it made a world of difference for me. I was shaking my way to the kitchen but eating just that one cracker and waiting 15 minutes before getting up makes me feel so much better.

Oh, we were also told applesauce and pureed peaches and such were good for the mushies stage.

There's so little consistency on these plans it's no wonder people are confused! I am just trying to stick with the basics and make sure I get enough Water, enough Protein and enough Vitamins to keep me going.