Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you can control it, TURN OFF THE TV or TiVO

I've been reading a lot of the posts about the fear of having to cope without food. I completely understand. I was sleeved on 4/27 and I am now experiencing what people told me about but was hard to grasp until you are there.

I forgot to eat twice today. I had to go buy a little digital buzzer to buzz at 3 hours. Can you imagine? Even as my food world is opening back up, I forgot to eat. My one NUT told me that from my profile that was her concern for me and I said "oh no, I'd never forget to eat". Well, she was right. It's not a good or bad thing, just very surprising to me. So I have started using my little timer. I very much enjoy what I eat even tho it's tiny little bites and amounts and all is going down pretty well even tho I do still have nausea, it's not horrible, just something to work through.

So I've been thinking about what I might be able to share to sooth those pre very normal worries and I'd like to offer two thing:

Turn off the TV in those first 2 weeks. The food commercials are not your friends. That was the only thing that drove me crazy. From 3 to 7 at night it's one food commercial after the next. There were times I felt like Pavlo's dogs, almost salivating. If you can separate yourself from the food you love, try to do so. If you are a Mom, see if friends could take them for dinner a night or two. Or if your partner will manage the food work. Not having those triggers would make it so much easier.

And second, you may feel hungry in the first week or two. I did. I think it's somewhat natural. Some suggest you need more anti-acids. I called my office and they said to not increase any med, to just ride it out for at least 1 month before going to meds. I did and at 2 weeks I suddenly realized the hunger had passed. I still experience some hunger at appropriate times. But it's not all the time to the degree of making me worry the surgery had not worked for me. I read others who posted the the Ghrelin needs time to leave your body and for me, I think that was the case. You might want to ask your surgeon ahead of time what they would want you to do. But I'd ask that you not fear any sort of failure. For some of us it's just a part of the process.

And a merry sleeve to use all!!!!

You are so right, we are sleeve sisters both done on the same day. I don't thnk I watched tv at all for a while, well except AI which is my guilty pleasure lol. We go through so much but it is so worth it. I have actually cried due to some of the amazing results so far. Although I do not have some of the issues you have dealt with I have dealt with some of my own too as we all have. Everyones experience is so different but yet the same. Some physical some mental some just overwhelming. In the end we are all here for the same thing, to get healthy.

So you have given a couple of tips, thought I might do the same as well :)

Like you said about watching the food etc. If you can't get away from it especially at meal time for your family, get up and go in another room or go and take a short walk. It helped me to go out back and just sit and enjoy the night air on some nights.

I was feeling a kind of "empty" feeling in the morning when I woke up so I made sure that while I sat in the kitchen, pre op I would sip my coffee, well now I sip my Protein shake. (still not allowed caffeine :( )

I would also eat at the same times I always ate before, when I got to work, instead of a McDonald artery clogger or bagel or big omellet etc, I would have another shake, now because I am on mushies I would have a greek yogurt. I would make it a point to eat something at lunch time. Today I went to Salsarita's and had some refried Beans with cheese and just a little bit of salsa. dinner, my family ordered Chinese food, I made me some mashed and used a little bit of the egg foo young gravey lol, made me feel a little more included.

Good Luck to everyone!