Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Kelly: Sorry your post op diet is not too good now. First, I would find a Protein that is whey and tastes good. I went to costco and got Muscle Milk Plus, which tastes very good and blends very well. They also sell Premier premixed shakes in chocolate that I like alot, too. Proteins are 26g and 30g respectively. I have not tried unjury at all, so cannot help there. I would try cooking some Proteins, like chicken, fish, etc. well done and then puree them with your blender to see if you can get them down with small bites. Make sf Jello with your nonfat cottage cheese, or swirl in your nonfat Greek yogurt with a flavor you like--lime, orange, and the berry ones are tasty. See if you could not whiz some lowsugar oatmeal dry into your blender, then cook it to a runny gruel to sip on. I cannot emphasize the need for your Multivitamins here. You might need to take some Iron for awhile to keep your energy levels intact. Consult your dr and nutritionist on this, please. You can also microwave a sweet potato plain for about 6 min until soft, then scoop into your blender to smoothe it into a med sauce texture to eat. I would also try Gerber's Junior Baby foods to see if those won't go down better for you. Those have nutrients in them--for variety. I think it is important to vary as much as you can the foods you are trying to eat. Just remember the stomach is healing, so don't go overboard with any one thing, just try several items to see if you can tolerate them, and above all, sip your water!!! Good luck with it. Let us know how you are doing--try not to dehydrate yourself by not eating and drinking. :rolleyes:

She is on full liquids- that does not allow pureed anything. That, I think,is her problem!

I too am just making these Protein drinks work until I finally get to get Protein from food. I have one I know I can use into the future- the others are to get through this few weeks - probably three more, before I can have real food with its real protein.

I

Thanks guys!

And RSR, Meggie is right, I am on full liquids, so can not do any "real food" at this time. I will get to do that in about a week. I am trying to make it thru until then!

I do have the Muscle Milk light chocolate and think it tastes awful too! Mine is sugar free, is that why?

I am just having an awful time and feel so defeated.!! I did so much research, like 15 months worth before having this surgery and just knew I was going to do so well! I bought everything I needed and was so "ready"

Now I feel like everything I try doesn't work. And as i sit here typing this and crying, I and thinking WTF have I done!

Kelly :(

I didn't get a decent amount of Protein down until about week three, and my surgeon had me on liquids for 4 weeks after surgery. Don't agonize over the protein, you'll be moving to food next week. I am still alive and kicking and things are great despite the fact that I couldn't get 60 gms of protein in the first few weeks. You'll be fine.

You are still newly sleeved. I was not able to get in my needed protien amount for almost a month. You need to stay hydrated first and foremost then worry about protien. Do you have a sleeve diet guide for what you can eat and when? If not I can email you a couple, just send me a private message and I have guidelines from Hopkins & Cornell plus a few others that are good. Recommend you follow your surgeons diet plan first though, using other surgeons as a guideline.

RE: nutrition - I took flinstone Vitamins with Iron (complete) from week 1-4 until I could handle the big girl Barriatric suppliments. This will help with your anemia. For protien, I drank clear protien since I could not stand the taste of thick protien drinks such as unjury or others. Would gag on so many types such as MuscleMilk, costco brand, Went to GNC and bought Isopure 40gm Apple Melon (think jolly green rancher) Protein in a glass bottle. Expensive, but less than what I normally spent on a meal at a fast food joint. Hated all the other flavors of Isopure. Took me all day to drink a bottle for the first month.

Best wishes!

You are still newly sleeved. I was not able to get in my needed protien amount for almost a month. You need to stay hydrated first and foremost then worry about protien. Do you have a sleeve diet guide for what you can eat and when? If not I can email you a couple, just send me a private message and I have guidelines from Hopkins & Cornell plus a few others that are good. Recommend you follow your surgeons diet plan first though, using other surgeons as a guideline.

RE: nutrition - I took flinstone Vitamins with Iron (complete) from week 1-4 until I could handle the big girl Barriatric suppliments. This will help with your anemia. For protien, I drank clear protien since I could not stand the taste of thick protien drinks such as powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or others. Would gag on so many types such as MuscleMilk, costco brand, Went to GNC and bought Isopure 40gm Apple Melon (think jolly green rancher) Protein in a glass bottle. Expensive, but less than what I normally spent on a meal at a fast food joint. Hated all the other flavors of Isopure. Took me all day to drink a bottle for the first month.

Best wishes!

I am pretty sure she is covered for Vitamins, especially Iron as she was found to be very anemic today- and is definitely being uber followed for that- and got an iron supplement prescribed. And she gags on isopure.

Thanks guys!

And RSR, Meggie is right, I am on full liquids, so can not do any "real food" at this time. I will get to do that in about a week. I am trying to make it thru until then!

I do have the Muscle Milk light chocolate and think it tastes awful too! Mine is sugar free, is that why?

I am just having an awful time and feel so defeated.!! I did so much research, like 15 months worth before having this surgery and just knew I was going to do so well! I bought everything I needed and was so "ready"

Now I feel like everything I try doesn't work. And as i sit here typing this and crying, I and thinking WTF have I done!

Oh honey- I hear you! If I didn't happen upon the chocolate one I love I don't know what I would have done! The funny thing is, I went to Vitalady.com because they are wonderful about selling samples of powders, and I used the ratings thread from the nutrition area of this forum to decide which to order. I ordered five samples my first time (and some vitamins) ad four of them went down the drain even though they had been rated excellent here. The fifth I love, and with a cup of Decaf, ice cubes, and vanilla-blended I enjoy it as my morning drink and 3o grams- done. If I stop being able to stand the various drinks I use in the afternoon (they are iffy and I kinda hve to force the last part) then I will just do a second of the one I love.

The funny thing is- I actually mistook the fave on the list as a different one and the one I actually ordered, and love, is on the list as "disgusting" !!! So you never know.

The other thing- these drinks have to be absolutely cold to go down for me. I got a stainless steel insulated camelback Water bottle at REI and it will keep a cold beverage ice cold ALL DAY. (not for hot).It's been a godsend for me- would that help you get them down?

The thing to remember is it is just one week. And truly I dont think the lack of Protein has caused your anemia. You can only do what you can do and then you will be able to get a lot of your protein from food. However, I think you do need to find at least one that works for you because it is good to have it to use through the next months when you will be keeping your food in check.

I'm here for you!

ps Did your surgeon not worry at al about possible seepage of blood internally? Mine was concerned if my bloodwork was showing anemia today I was going to receive two pints of blood. Sure shows you everyone is different!

Thanks iegal.

Yes, I have Kaiser and they educate you to the hilt. I have been told everything I could ever want to know about my sleeve and more. I have my binder, which is my bible and has all my nutrition and diet iformation in it. That is why I thought I had it all down. I guess you never know untill you actually have to do it!!

I just need to find something that I like. I can usually only get thru 1/2 of anything before I have to dump it out. :(

My Dr. told me just to make sure I don't get dehydrated at this point. With my anemia that is the worst thing I could do right now. I know I only have a few more days till I know I can and will be able to find things to have that I like, it just seems like a lot can happen in that short period of time and it worries me.

I do drink my tea, Water, yogurt and broth, I just am not getting many calories/protein that way. My friend brought me an Ensure Nutrition shake last night and I am thinking about drinking it this morning. It has lots of nutrition in one little bottle, but lots of carbs and sugar which are not so good. I thought maybe one might help boost my energy a little!

Hugs,

RE: nutrition - I took flinstone Vitamins with Iron (complete) from week 1-4 until I could handle the big girl Barriatric suppliments. This will help with your anemia. For protien, I drank clear protien since I could not stand the taste of thick protien drinks such as unjury or others. Would gag on so many types such as MuscleMilk, costco brand, Went to GNC and bought Isopure 40gm Apple Melon (think jolly green rancher) Protein in a glass bottle. Expensive, but less than what I normally spent on a meal at a fast food joint. Hated all the other flavors of Isopure. Took me all day to drink a bottle for the first month.

Best wishes!

Hope you are doing better today ! I woke up thinking about you and I really think the camelback stainless insulated cup could help you drink more than half. They have two- it is the more expensive one that keeps things cold a full day. I love mine- I can slowly go through my shake and it is always cold. Chilling helps the taste so much!

AWWW!! Thanks Meggie. You are so great! Hugs.

After my crying jag last night and wondering what I had done to myself, I knew that I just had to keep pressing on. I knew that I only had about a week left of this stage and because I have had no other issues besides my anemia, there is no reason my nut will not advance me when she calls!

I can not afford to become dehydrated, I have done so well so far. I did not have any complications at all and really should pat myself on the back! :D

So, I got up this morning and first thing made a 20 oz glass of ice Water. Drinking it on the toilet I did! Put it in the shower with me even! Drink, Drink, Drink. Drank it all before I even dried my hair!

Took that same glass and filled it up with V-8 and drank that on the way to work!! Got to work and had a Premier Protein drink 30gm protein....and Meggie.....drank the whole thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TA DA!!!

About lunch time now and I am going to have Bariatric Advantage chocolate Meal Replacement i think it has 25gm of Protein? ? I also had 8 oz of chicken broth and some more water!

I think I just needed to kick my own ass and realize that I have to just do it. Do I like the taste, Hell NO!! But I can do it! I also have some greek yogurt to eat for later if I need it, if not I will have it for dinner. That is so much better than where I have been!

Oh, and my energy today is so much better to! I am at work and I don't feel as tired as yesterday. I think I might make it till 4! YAY

Thanks Meggie so much for helping!

Hugs,

Kelly ;)

Hope you are doing better today ! I woke up thinking about you and I really think the camelback stainless insulated cup could help you drink more than half. They have two- it is the more expensive one that keeps things cold a full day. I love mine- I can slowly go through my shake and it is always cold. Chilling helps the taste so much!

Hooray!

I know what you mean about kicking yourself in the ass- the drink I have in the afternoon I really have to force- I know if I just keep drinking my coffee/chocolate one I will burn out on it so I vary with some in the afternoon and usually have to even hold my breath for some of the swallows- but its medicine. And if you realize that if you have it your body will burn fat instead of muscle it is a real motivator! Lets face it- we are eating so little we will lose weight - but that Protein keeps it pulling from the fat we want gone, Fat be gone!

I think that also has you getting smaller at a certain weight than you may have been before- your fat is burning and before it might have been muscle.

I am so proud of you for pushing yourself- that anemia is nothing to play around with.

I put three scoops on my morning drink for 45 grams. If we have a NO CA recent sleeves get together I will bring you some to taste. Maybe we can all swap Protein powders ;-P

xoxo meggie your RV sleeve sistah for life

Hello,

Lots of great advise on protien drinks posted, and I feel so bad for you not being able to tolerate some of the Protein drinks... Hang in there, it will get better...

I hope you can find something that your body will tolerate or your taste buds will agree with !!! Awww.. I know it can get frustrating, it was for me too when I paid good $$$ for different protein shakes/powders and they all were yucky.... I am totally an Atkins girl.. the dark chocolate and milk chocolate but it HAS to be very, very cold... and yes there are times still that is is hard to choke down... I am at 6 months post op... I found the protein tube shots at Costco.. 26 grams of protein in a fruit flavored 2.5 oz shot... I have to mix it with Crystal light in order to drink it and I do one of those every day to help me get my protien in. I honestly cannot see a point in my life that I will not have do a liquid protien shot each day...just a great amount of protein in few ounces! Good luck,, I hope you find something that works for you...