Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dr. c....allergic reaction to band?

dr C...have you ever heard of anyone having an allergic reaction to the band, i.e., bad itching rash?? i am hoping this is just a coincidence......

No, I haven't. A lot of people throw that word around "allergic" like that's what caused an erosion or whatever, but the truth is that the band is made out of a substance that is so inert I don't know if it's possible to really be allergic. Also it's used in thousands of other implantable devices like port-a-caths and pacemakers. It's probably from some medication you took or from the anesthestic, that's my guess. If it persists see your doctor obviously.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Thank you, Dr. C.... I've just been trying to eliminate everything. I have been taking Benadryl, Claritin, Tagamet (which the doc says has another histamie blocker in it), Nasocort, and topical cortisone cream to no avail for a week. I almost went to the ER last night, that's how bad it is.....

My surgeon is gone until Monday but I will surely call him then. Again, thank you so much for your reply!!! I am praying this rash is totally unrelated. : )

Tagamet is one of the older medications used to treat ulcers, and used rarely anymore. I don't see where it could contain histamines of any sort. Prevecid and some of the rest are far newer than Tagmet. It's been around since the late 70's.

God Bless,

Dody

Dody....

FYI....here is info I just found about Tatamet!

Tagamet is a histamine (H2-receptor antagonist) blocker used to treat and prevent ulcers. Tagamet is also used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Tagamet may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

Some doctors also use Tagamet to treat acne and to prevent stress-induced ulcers. It may also be used to treat chronic hives, herpesvirus infections (including shingles), abnormal hair growth in women, and overactivity of the parathyroid gland.

About 3 days after surgery, I developed an itchy rash on my face that was quite inflamed. It was especially prevalent on my forehead. I did not have this type of outbreak before surgery. I am quite allergic to penicillin and some other of the antibiotics - of which they were aware before surgery. I was told by the nurses that they used 4 different types of antibiotics - one of which they soaked the band in before insertion. So, my guestimate is that I had an allergic reaction to whatever that antibiotic was for the band. It comes and goes - but I still deal with the rash on my face. It has not displayed anywhere else on my body. I have not found a way to deal with it - so I am quite interested to hear what advise may be given to you.

Thanks for your post, Rose... I will phone the surgeon's office this morning. I'm just hoping they are not closed till Wednesday. This rash is driving me crazy. Mine is kind of all over the place, but from the waist up: Face, neck, arms, fingers (I had to take my rings off due to the rash on them), stomach. I'm itching like mad. Since the Benadryl and all the allergy medicines and creams have not helped, the doctor wants me to take prednisone again, which i reallly don't want to do. I'll let you know what the surgeon says.

Hello,

To the person who has had a rash on her face. I have the exact same situation and never put two and two together until my friends said maybe its your band. Then I found your post. It comes and goes and is very bothersome. Have you found anything out. I know it has been a few years. Maybe you can save me some trouble trying to fihure this out.

Thanks Stephanie

dr C...have you ever heard of anyone having an allergic reaction to the band, i.e., bad itching rash?? i am hoping this is just a coincidence......

Hey Andrea, I was banded on March 2nd and I am itching like crazy and i went to see my doctor and he advised me the same thing you was told that it is very low chance of being allergic to the band but I think i am allergic to the port as well. I am red and itching on my stomach, neck , legs, and on my back. I am red around the incision of my port. I have been prescribed Prednisolone (steroid kit) to help with the itching but now that it is gone i am back itching bad. I just need advise of what to do at this point? Should I have the band taken out or did they give you any medicine to help?