Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Organic Foods

I was wondering who on the boards eats primarily organic foods. I am in the beginning stages of trying to switch over to an organic kitchen. Was wondering where folks shopped and what kinds of things are they getting.

M

I grow a lot of my own produce or buy it at the local farmers market. If I am looking for something exotic, they almost always have it at a Central Market.

Right now I am growing salad greens/lettuce, beets (you can eat the greens too), onions, squash, melon, peppers, peas, rhubarb, sunflowers, apples, plums, cherries, blueberries, strawberries, and numerous herbs. I use the weedy stuff too like dandelion, chickweed, and cleavers.

I try and preserve what I can, when I can because seasons are so short.

Is this what you were asking? Is this too extreme of an example?

I don't really care whether my food is organic or not, but if you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have it, or Whole Foods markets.

Try a google search "your city, organic food store"

:)

I buy a lot of organic food, particulary meat, milk, veggies and produce. I find a lot of it at my local grocery store but what I can't find I go to Wild Oats or Whole Foods. My sis in law got me into it and I used to laugh at her.... but it tastes so much better!!

Thanks ya'll. I did go to Whole Foods yesterday. It is a dizzying array of foods isn't it. The way they mix conventionally grown food with organically is kinda confusing.

It took till this morning to realize they only sell fresh meat and not frozen meat. So I am going to have to rethink the way I buy meat now.

I did get some almond flour and whole wheat flour and wheat germ so I am going to start switching my staples over. Butter, milk, string cheese for the kiddo and lots of veggies and fruits.

Have any of ya'll ate buffalo burgers? They have packs of ground buffalo meat. I'm thinking maybe a little too exotic for me.

I am going to keep at it though till I get it figured out. I'll have to check out Central Market also. No Trader Joes that I know of around DFW.

M

Have any of ya'll ate buffalo burgers? They have packs of ground buffalo meat. I'm thinking maybe a little too exotic for me.

My wife and I love it. It is not exotic at all.

No. I am not going to say, "It tastes just like chicken".

It does taste a lot like beef, but leaner.

We use it in recipes where-ever beef is called for. Spaghettie and Buffulo Balls is great.

In cooking buffalo... make sure that you don't overdo it. Being very lean, it cooks quite fast and can get pretty tough if you don't show it some love. It is VERY good in chili!

Yes I have decided that I am going to give the buffalo meat a try. Had to talk to DH about it as he is very skeptical of anything new like that. I will probably get some in a couple of weeks when I make my next trip to Whole Foods.

Thanks for the tip about the cooking. I bought one of those indoor grills and I will probably make burgers on it for the family. Put a little liquid smoke on it and see what it tastes like.

Glad to hear Tired Old Man and his DW like it also.

Lots to learn isn't there.

Myra

Anyone ever try Ostrich meat? It's a bird of course but the meat is red like beef. It's pretty good but, don't eat it expecting it to taste like chicken because it taste more like beef to me. It's exceptionally lean too.

My BW and I have also tried Ostrich meat and it is not nearly as good as Buffalo meat. "Too dry" in our opinion.

But:

While we have eaten Buffalo meat in restaurants and prepared it in our own kitchen, where of course we have control over the recipe and ingredients, we have only eaten Ostrich meat in restaurants, where the dryness may have been more a problem of the preparation than the meat itself.