Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In my program they measure things from the day you start your pre-op diet. So today finished my month one.

I am one of those folks who researched, went to tons of programs and ultimately decided on the program and surgeon because they were offering the VGS. It was what I knew was right for me. I truly believe that in 6 months time I will be validated in that belief. Right now I am still working my way through the huge learning curve you face when changing the entire function of the core of your being human. I think people who rush through underestimate the need to be ready for this surgery. And that being ready, unless you are having serious health impacting weigh based issues, has little to do with the number on the scale.

My history is that I eat well. I have always had a healthy diet with low "numbers'", triglycerides, good and bad cholesterol, blood sugar. All perfect to better than perfect. But I'm someone who always ate 1/3 more than needed and hated exercise. Still do. So I knew the key for me -- a person who hates sweets (they gag me) -- was to be forced into a food restriction. I didn't need the threat of dumping or passing a part of your digestive system. Honestly, the first few times the professionals suggested that as a benefit to having Gastric Bypass I didn't quiet understand what they meant. I wasn't trying to be a smart rump. But when you eat sweets in measurements of the occasional bite, it was like suggesting that it would help me quit smoking. Fine, but who smokes? So it actually took a while to convince the surgeon that VGS was right for me. And, interesingly, with immediate insurance approval ( I have a great company and great insurance ) that question of whether it would "work" for me disappeared. Interesting, huh. He now thinks I will excel with the plan. :P

So one month out:

1) The surgery was not nearly as bad as I expected. Not nearly. I hate to vomit and even with a second day of wicked vomiting, it was not bad. Somehow, it's a different kind of being ill than if you have the flu and are sick all over. This is just your new stomach being upset with you.

2) I have thought the pain was minimal for the entire process. I was actually most worried my knees would hurt when I walked but the walking wasn't as involved as I thought. I took no pain meds after they too the IV off. None. Tylenol does nothing for me so it wasn't worth the bother.

3) I had my gall bladder out at the same time and I would NOT recommend it. Now that I know that surgery is not that difficult for me, I would have done this separately. My gall stone was huge and required a 4.5 inch incision. So basically it defeated the point of having it done laproscpally (they didn't know it would be that bad) and it also required a drain in the middle of the incision. So 3 weeks out from surgery I am still healing. It's the main thing I would do differently since I know I needed the gall bladder out. Removing 2 organs at the same time required the drain. Healing for each separately would have been much easier.

4) At one month I've hit their minimum acceptable weight loss. Sadly, most of it's was pre-surgery on the liquid fast. However, I've made an agreement with myself that if I keep lowing, stop being queezy, am able to work foods back in easily and do not lose my hair, I will be very happy with a slow but steady loss. I didn't want the world to know I did this so maybe it's a good thing. The important part is that the fat keeps leaving and stays gone.

As of today, I'd do it again. And I think 1 month out from the day you started the pre-diet scared to death you wouldn't even be able to succeed at that, this is a good place to be.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I can't wait until I am a month out and can see things from a different point of view!

Slow loss is still a loss! My surgeon placed a drain for my sleeve. Getting it taken out was worse pain than anything before that. Ugh, it makes me queasy just thinking about it!! My doctor also fixes hernias and gallbladders during surgery on people who need it. Even 10 years ago, a plain gallbladder removal would require an incision in a zig zag pattern across the whole abdomen if not done laparascopically. So 4.5 inches ain't that bad. And when you think about the crazy surgery they just did with poke holes and cameras, I think it's amazing!! My scars are shrinking, at 5 weeks out they are about 50% smaller than they were. Good luck to you and keep us posted! :lol:

I am so happy for you! Glad you are healing and I wouldnt worry about the weight loss, that will come in its own time and at its own pace. I agree with you on being informed too. I believe when you decide to do something like this you have to be as informed as you can possibly be. It helps in the entire process, both mentally and physically.

Feel good and keep us updated!