Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone my name is Tanya and I never really thought about having WLS until I notice that the weight that I was gaining was not coming off if I downsized portions or just didn't eat for a while. Not eating was not healthy and normally just made me gain more weight. My cousin who has had the sleeve surgery since December/2010, kept telling me to research the surgery and then make up my own mind. She knows that I am the type of person that has to make that decision on my own!!

I live in the outskirts of Houston, TX and decided to attend the seminar in December/2010 for WLS with the Davis Clinic. This was the beginning of freedom for me! I was so excited and scared listening to how this surgery could ultimately change my life physically and medically. I have hypothyroidism that is relatively low maintenance but having this condition has slowed my progress to lose weight even further. So, after listening to Dr. Robert Davis during the seminar, I decided to fill out the information and received a phone call from the clinic to come in for consultation. The doctor I chose was Dr. Garth Davis, who is Dr. Robert Davis son. Dr. Garth was very informative and gave me a lot of material to read to ensure that this was the right decision for me.

Having the Sleeve surgery was the best option for me because I was just scarred of the other procedures! Not taking lightly the precedure involved with the sleeve surgery, but just felt that this was the best. After meeting with Dr. Garth in January/2011, I started my NUT classes for 90 days and in between had my psychological evaluation. The 90-day nutritional classes were challenging at first, but after the second month, I was able to follow the guidelines! My last nutritionial class was in April/2011. I also met with Dr. Garth about my choice in surgery to confirm and when he said the next time he will probably see me was in my hospital gown, I became excited and scared all at the same time!

Waiting for approval

So, May 3, 2011 was my appt. with Dr. Davis and I called my insur. coordinator on Thursday, May 6, 2011, to find out if my file was submitted for insurance (I have Aetna Choice Plan POS II), she informed me that my file was gone and she should know something by next week! I thought to myself, "next week" that is fast!

The Approval

on May 12, 2011 Ms. Bell, the insur. coordinator called to tell me I was approved and the surgery coordinator called on May 13 to let me know that I am scheduled for surgery on June 10th!!!!!! and my pre-op labs are due on May 25!!!!! I have been reading so many subjects on this website and so impressed with the information given and although I am still scared to death about having surgery, I know that my battle to lose weight and be healthy will be helped on June 10, 2011 and that is my goal for myself to be more healthy, so I can enjoy my family without all the extra weight attached!!!

Please pray for me as I will pray for all of you through this extrodianary journey to healthier lives!!!!! :)

Thanks for listening!!!! :)

Wow Tanya...what a journey you have been on to get here! Sounds like you have done all the right things and couldn't be more prepared for the surgery. :D It IS scary but I felt like it was more scary to face to the consequences of obesity to my health. This board is a great place to visit often as I learn all the time from something someone else has gone through. Congratulations and good luck! I am sure that you will do great.

OMG- Tanya...

I too have been freaking out about the surgery.. however I cannot disregard all the positive changes that will be.. like health, a new outlook on life..

Wow Tanya...what a journey you have been on to get here! Sounds like you have done all the right things and couldn't be more prepared for the surgery. :D It IS scary but I felt like it was more scary to face to the consequences of obesity to my health. This board is a great place to visit often as I learn all the time from something someone else has gone through. Congratulations and good luck! I am sure that you will do great.

Thank you Beadingnurse! Words of encouragement is always appreciated! I feel at home already :)

OMG- Tanya...

I too have been freaking out about the surgery.. however I cannot disregard all the positive changes that will be.. like health, a new outlook on life..

Hi Ruby, I know!!! When do you have surgery?

Woohoo! Congrats on getting a date! That is amazing. I am so happy for you.

Hi Tanya, I'm patiently waiting for my approval & date and hope to be having surgery around the same time as you. My paperwork was submitted to Aetna last week, I sure hope my turnaround is as quick as yours. Exciting!!