Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scary stuff

I was just reading a post where the individual stated that he/she threw up all healthy food and was not able to eat vegetables. i'm still on the full liquid diet since i'm three weeks post-op. i feel great now, but i am worried about eating solids when i am able. how do most people do with solids?

curious...:faint:

I had absolutely no problems transitioning to solids. You just have to be careful and chew your food. Take small bites and take your time.

I was just reading a post where the individual stated that he/she threw up all healthy food and was not able to eat vegetables. i'm still on the full liquid diet since i'm three weeks post-op. i feel great now, but i am worried about eating solids when i am able. how do most people do with solids?

Not being able to eat healthy food isn't normal, nor expected from what I've seen and read.

Ralheit: Thanks for the information and support! I feel better already about transitioning to solids.

Have a nice 4th of July weekend!

jillia

I'm by no means an expert, I've only been banded for about 4 weeks...but the one thing I can't emphasize enough is to CHEW your food thoroughly. I"ve tried lots of different foods, and the only, ONLY problem I have is when I don't chew it thoroughly enough. Hope that helps.

Yes, its all to do with how you eat I think. And not being any tighter than strictly necessary, the longer I've been banded the more I think that beyond a certain point tighter only equals more problems, not more weightloss.

Yes, its all to do with how you eat I think. And not being any tighter than strictly necessary, the longer I've been banded the more I think that beyond a certain point tighter only equals more problems, not more weightloss.

You're right...being too tight does not equate to better weight loss. Instead you fall into soft food syndrome because you are hungry all the time and nothing stays down except milkshakes and cream of potato Soup.

Raw veggies are a problem for me sometimes. Also fiberous stuff - asparagus, for instance - gives me trouble. Oh...and I can't eat French fries. But that's a good thing!

As of yet, I have not had problems with any of the foods I'm supposed to be eating (protein and produce). Asparagus tips work just fine for me, and if further down the stalk it gets a little too chewy, I just spit it out. Same with pineapple, steak and chicken. But usually just cutting those into small enough pieces solves the problem.

The one thing I do have trouble with is hardboiled eggs. A shame too; they are the perfect quick-protein snack. I've never pb'd but the closest I've come to really getting stuck was on an egg.

The trick is to not get overfilled. The band isn't meant to choke you or even to really stop you from eating too much in one sitting. It's meant to help with satiety, so if you choose to eat your small serving of Protein & produce you can walk away from the table feeling satisfied and not needing to eat for a few hours. [unfortunately it doesn't completely cure emotional/boredom-related head hunger -- that's stuff we're stuck working on]

If someone can't eat any veggies or healthy foods, they are too tight. An unfill is definately in order, IMO.

Post-op, it may take some folks a bit longer to make the transisiton. With no fill, the band calls the shots. At some point, however, the goal should be to be able to eat enough good healthy foods to stay nourished and lose weight.

I agree with Jachut, tighter only means more problems.

I don't care for asparagus. So, no biggie there for me, but it is a very fibrous veggie, so I'd imagine it takes some extra effort and careful chewing to add it into a bandster diet. No reason not to try it, though. I'm also very careful with celery. Cooked in Soup and chopped is fine for me, though. Everyone is so different, it's a "wait and see" thing for any food.

I do not eat any breads (which is a good thing!), I cannot eat chicken, salmon or mushrooms. I have been afraid to try lettuce, but my favorite veggie is green Beans and I can eat them just fine. I can eat extra lean ground beef, but I haven't tried a tender steak yet. I do not eat regular Pasta, but I found out that I like the multigrain pastas just fine.

I do find what I am able to eat to be limiting, but I am happy with my fill level as it keeps me from starving all the time. SO an unfill is out of the question.