Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just started soft foods...is this normal?

Started soft foods yesterday. So far I've had Soup, eggs, corned beef hash, refried Beans and yogurt. All have tasted wonderful and have settled and given me no problems

Getting use to portion sizes now isn't a problem for me, because mentally i look at them when i put them on my appetizer plate and see a TON of food. Weird how my mind is catching up to the sleeve idea. I love it.

Thing is, I still cannot eat whatever i put on my plate; as in i don't finish it. Only thing i was able to finish was 2 oz of greek yogurt yesterday morning. Today i plated one large egg, and 1/4 cup corned beef hash and finished about 1/4 of each. Now I cannot sense a full feeling, nor restriction (which i don't expect yet at this stage), but i do feel "satisfied" i suppose. Or maybe i feel the same way before i started eating, which is not hungry. Haven't been hungry since surgery, just have cravings,but they go away when i drink Water.< /p>

When i do start eating, i feel a grumbling in my tummy; like it's trying to break down food, not a hunger grumbling. I realize that when i eat, i tend to burp once, and that's generally my cue that "ok, you've eaten enough, don't push it". and i just push the plate away.

is all of this "normal" for just being on second day of soft foods?

Well, I hope so, because that's what I do, too! Actually, since I started mushies, I just quit worrying about trying to eat a specific amount. I put a small portion of food together (usually around 1/4 c. total) and then I eat until I feel that burp, just like you, OR until I feel satisfied, which sometimes occurs before the burp signal. At that point, I just put the lid on the container and save the rest for later. :-) No big deal.

My sleeve didn't like a lot of mushies when I started, but I can now really feel a difference--most of the things I've tried lately have gone down comfortably and stayed down. I think part of it is I'm more used to chewing thoroughly and eating slowly, but another part is that I'm more used to eating just a few bites of food. That's the sleeve doing its job, and I'm really happy about it!

So yeah, I would say that your experience sounds just like mine. I think food amount is going to vary from person to person, and as long as your hunger is satisfied and your body is comfortable, you're doing what you need to do.

Cheers!

Meg

I have finally gotten used to the idea they NO I do not have to finish what I put on my plate. If my body (tummy) says thats it no more then I throw out what is left and feel satisfied that I do have control now. It is weird somedays you can get more in than others.

yay! glad others experience this as well. I feel much more at ease. thanks :)

I'd be surprised if you could get in a whole egg plus the 1/4cup hash. I'm almost 3 months out and am full full on 2 eggs.. Just eat til your satisfied like you've been doing but track your food if you can to make sure you're getting your Protein.< /p>

Sounds perfectly normal to me! I still can barely get in more than 2 oz. One egg is my limit! I have become very comfortable with leaving food on my plate - some meals I don't get through my 2 oz portion. If my stomach says stop, I stop.

Sounds like you are right on target!

Lara