Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how I got to be..............

A big Texas howdy to all my fellow vsg buddies! I'd like to introduce myself.........my name is Carolyn, 59 yrs, married to David and have 2 daughters, Sherry, and Stacey. We also have 2 grandchildren, almost 3 and almost 1. We live in Katy, TX, a beautiful sub on west side Houston.

Here's my life as a "skinny" and how it progessed to a "fatty".

During my vibrant teen years, I had an overweight sister who tried and tried many diets. Of course, as most of us can predict, she failed at each one. I told her one day "all you have to do is stop eating". How insensitive and ignorant I was!! She finally had an gastric bypass in 1974, when I was less than a month pregnant with my firstborn. My skinny life continued, even after giving birth. I was in great shape and lost the baby fat quickly. Same with my second pregnancy.

Time sped by as I fattened up quickly. I was now in my early 40's and it seems like I went to bed thin one day and woke up obese. Gone were the days of volleyball and raquetball. Medicine instead took the place of my sports. The only exercise I was able to do now was bend my arm to eat, drink or take my list of meds. What a vicious circle.......because of my weight gain, I had to take 4 different meds to lower blood pressure, which then caused more weight gain. I also took 3 meds for my type 2 diabetes, then more for my high blood pressure, reflux, cholesterol, heart arrhythmia, and thyroid. Impressive list, right?

I remember when I told my sister "all you have to do is quit eating". Words to haunt me! I did just that, I stopped eating, along with my stopping my metabolism. I did that for many years, without seeing any results, other than being exhausted each day that I got out of bed.

Okay, so let's diet! Atkins, it worked...........for 3 months. South Beach, it worked..........for about 2 months, slim fast, diet pills, Weight Watches, Jenny Craig, Quick Weight Loss.............I tried them without lasting results.

Last September, 2010, I saw my ex-husband's wife at our grandson's birthday party (yes, we are all on great friendly terms:) ). She had just had the VSL done a few weeks previous and she was sharing it all with me. We talked for a long time and I told her then that if this Quick Weight Loss didn't do the trick then I was definitely going to consider having that done also.

I went in to see my pcp in early March to get some Patches for our upcoming cruise. Her nurse, Jody, came into the room and Lordy be, that woman looked good!!! We talked and she shared with me about her bariatric surgery. I asked her every question I could think of and she answered them as completely honestly and open as she could. My pcp came in and I told her how good Jody looked. She then suggested to me to consider it also, since I was on so many meds and my health was going downhill (my words, not hers!).

That brings me here. I had my VSG surgery last Wed, and came home the following Friday. I went in for my first appt this afternoon. I actually had a panic attack while I was getting ready because I thought, what if I haven't lost weight, what if I've been eating too much, what if he left too much stomach, what if I, what if I, what if !!! My knees were shaking!!! I arrived with hubby in tow, (he's been such a wonderful support partner) and it was time to get on the dreaded scales, # 1 enemy to all of us "fatties". 10 lbs.............I lost 10 lbs in a week!!! Plus, I'm off 2 of my blood pressure meds, 1 diabetes meds, my reflux med and he wants me to talk to my pcp about the rest of the meds I'm on!!!! Results already!!!

I'll be on a full liquid diet for another week, then moving on to the soft pureed foods, then slowly progressing forward. This will be a lifechange for me. I thank God I have such a wonderful bariatric dr and staff at hand, ready to answer any question I have. And like I said, my hubby has been the best............he's been there each step, each test, each day at the dr's office with me. Encouragement, support and love..............better than hamburger and french fries any day!!!

I'm eager to walk these steps with each of you. I hope to get to know each of you, feel your pain,share your triumphs and let's cross the finish line together!!!

Thank you so much for introducing yourself. It feels like we just meet and had a long talk over coffee or something...

Welcome to the losers side of the bench! 10 pounds in one week is fantastic! Sounds like you have started this journey off right! Look forward to watching you shrink:)

Welcome Neighbor!

I actually live in Katy as well. I am 10 weeks out and other than a bad Day 5, I haven't had an ounce of regret! I look forward to following your journey. :)

Amanda

Howdy ladies! I live in Pearland and was sleeved on 4/25 at Memorial Hermann. I was 19 lbs down at my one week visit (including one week pre-op liquids) and feel that I'm probably close to 30 lbs now. I started a new job on Monday and am training here in Chicago. I'm having a hard time finding "pureed" foods here so I'm still pretty much on liquids. When I get home this weekend, I'll be looking forward to some good stuff. I look forward to keeping up with you fellow Texas losers!

Ann

Hi there fellow Texans! I'm just east of Dallas. Haven't had surgery yet but am waiting to see if my insurance co approves. Hopefully I'll be in your boat soon. So nice to meet you.

Hi carolyn, I'm right next door to you in LA. Congratulations on 10lbs gone! That's great! Supportive husbands are the best :)

I'm curious, how is your sister? Did the bypass help her?

She did lose alot of weight, about 150 lbs! Back in the "old days' it was considered major surgery. Her incision was from her breastbone to just below the naval and a week in the hosptial! Things have changed, haven't they?

Hi carolyn, I'm right next door to you in LA. Congratulations on 10lbs gone! That's great! Supportive husbands are the best :)

I'm curious, how is your sister? Did the bypass help her?

HI Amanda,

Isn't Katy the best? We have so many areas where we can take beautiful walks with nature all around us.

Looking forward to our journey together!

Carolyn

Welcome Neighbor!

I actually live in Katy as well. I am 10 weeks out and other than a bad Day 5, I haven't had an ounce of regret! I look forward to following your journey. :)

Amanda

I knowyou are on pens and needles waiting to hear from insurance. We were so lucky that ours responded fast for us. Good luck!!

Carolyn

Hi there fellow Texans! I'm just east of Dallas. Haven't had surgery yet but am waiting to see if my insurance co approves. Hopefully I'll be in your boat soon. So nice to meet you.

just joined the forum. I am in the process of being approved for possible surgery this summer. I'm in Cypress.

wow, you are a step away from meeting your goal weight!! How exciting for that? And in such a short time. What was the hardest part for you?

Carolyn

Thank you so much for introducing yourself. It feels like we just meet and had a long talk over coffee or something...

Welcome to the losers side of the bench! 10 pounds in one week is fantastic! Sounds like you have started this journey off right! Look forward to watching you shrink:)

I enjoyed your post. I am fairly new to the site, I have been enjoying this site for 3-4 months and recently joined but had never posted....I figured it was time to come out and post something instead of just stalking other peoples comments!!!:P lol

I had surgery on 3//22/11 and it was the best decision of my life!!! I know what you mean about supportive husbands...THEY ROCK!!! Thank goodness for them, mine has been A-W-E-S-O-M-E and I think that makes a huge difference in our success!!! I am down 57.5lbs since my first appt. on December 23rd...35 of those coming off since surgery!!!:D It is literally like Christmas every single day since surgery!!! seeing my body change, the scale moving down, and clothes litterly falling off of me that were tight 6 months ago. I JUST LOVE THE FEELILNG IT GIVES ME!!!

@Texasgal: Now THAT'S how you introduce yourself!!! Leave it to a Native Texan to invite you into their world and make you feel right at home!!! Howdy from 2sweetnsugarland!!! I know what you mean by going to bed thin and waking up obese. That's how it seems to alot of people especially me!! I can honestly say though that I've enjoyed every single bite of food that came my way and contributed to my "over finess"!!:D Well enough of that stuff . . . it's all about trying to be healthy now and leading a long and happy life for me and my family!

YYYIIIPPPEEE and Congrats on your new sleeve :D !! My sister and I are getting sleeved tomorrow at Memorial Herman [Dr. Garth Davis]. Please keep us posted on your progress. Take very good care of yourself! See you on the looser's bench!