Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling weak and light headed after VSG

I'm worried that after my VSG I will feel weak, dizzy and light headed and tired because I will only be eating 500-700 a day instead of my usual few thousand. You know how you feel when you go too long with out eating? Will it be that way after surgery or because your tummy is so tiny that that won't be an issue.

I'm having my surgery in about four months ( need to save the money first) I'm so excited but terrified! Also people are saying bad things to me because I only need to lose 50-60 pounds. That I'm stupid and craY for doing this and I should be able to lose that on my own. I'm very addicted to food and I want it to stop containing my life. I want to be healthy not skinny. Anyone else run into this problem??

Thanks, Christina/San Francisco

Christina,

I struggle to get my 800 calories in each day and I am just under one month out. I have not been dizzy or lightheaded at all and I know what you mean because before surgery I would get shaky with hunger and I just don't have that now. I don't know WHY but it just doesn't seem to be problem.

I had a fairly low BMI too and chose this surgery and don't regret it for a second! Tell folks to mind their own business...it is your decision!:P

I'm worried that after my VSG I will feel weak, dizzy and light headed and tired because I will only be eating 500-700 a day instead of my usual few thousand. You know how you feel when you go too long with out eating? Will it be that way after surgery or because your tummy is so tiny that that won't be an issue.

I'm having my surgery in about four months ( need to save the money first) I'm so excited but terrified! Also people are saying bad things to me because I only need to lose 50-60 pounds. That I'm stupid and craY for doing this and I should be able to lose that on my own. I'm very addicted to food and I want it to stop containing my life. I want to be healthy not skinny. Anyone else run into this problem??

Thanks, Christina/San Francisco

I have done a lot of research on the sleeve and I haven't heard of anyone experiencing these symptoms. It's not a 100% but with all the people on here (and other websites), the chances are slim.

By the way, I'm having my surgury on 9/5 by Dr. Kelly in Tijuana. Do you mind me asking where you are going?

:-)

I got sleeved on 2/22 of this year. I have not felt light headed and shaky since I got out of the hospital. Some of the meds I was on right after surgery made me so light headed, I could have floated off the bed! I eat 450 - 600 calories per day, ~ 60 oz. of Protein, get my 60+ ounces of fluids in, and take Vitamins daily. No problems so far.

One caveat to the above - when I stepped on the scale and it was less than 200 pounds - I was so elated, I felt light headed.

Don't drive yourself crazy worrying - focus on building good eating habits while you are saving your $$.

Good luck.

I'm afraid of the same thing...so I am slowly reducing my caloric intake up until my surgery date so my body is not in such shock when I am on 800 calories a day.