Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any tips about drinking 30 min. before and after meal

I'm new to VSG. I'm presently in the evaluation phase. I'm trying to work on the nothing to drink 30 minutes before and after a meal. I'm finding it hard. Any tips for the experienced VSGrs'.

I had trouble with this pre-op but not post-op except losing track of time. What worked for me pre-op: First, watch your sodium. Second, it'll be easier post-op with the dramatically smaller servings; try reducing them now a little (tip - practicing the small bites and chew, chew, chew part will help you eat smaller servings - you'll be surprised!).

I had my practice with the band.. BUT to reach this u have to experience the difference.. with the band I get hungry half to an hour after eating but If I keep my Water intake half an hour after my meal I feel satisfied longer.

With the Sleeve, there will be no room! literally. I just finished eating and my thirst feeling is so weak VS my full feeling. So dont worry and just know it is all about trying something and learning a lesson. I dont mean u should do it but if u tried it will end up feeling either too full to the extend of puking or just more discomfort.

During my nutrition class someone asked about the importance of this... the nut explained that when you drink before or after eating... it is going to cause your food to come back up. To practice this (I am doing it too!) I treat it like I would a medicine that you have to wait for. In the morning I am always thirsty so I take a drink, peek at the clock and then go get ready or what not. The hardest for me is after because i'm thirsty! I think this is going to be much easier post-sleeve because those signals won't be as strong.

I am going to be keeping my eye out for more tips as well!

Thanks to all of you for the tips. I'm chewing food like crazy and realizing that I have to take smaller bites. @ Emily - I'm like you I wake up thirsty so I've started a routine of Water and thyroid meds then waiting 30 minutes before eating. It's the after that I'm struggling with. And of course the waiting is driving me crazy as I'm not sure when the surgery will take place if ever so I'm stressing. Thanks everyone.

Cindi

I've never had to follow the 30 minute before rule with the sleeve and for that I'm forever grateful. My instructions specifically said we didn't have to do this because we don't have a pouch like the band and RNY so there is no seeping through the stoma. liquids go in, hit the pylorus and dump into the intestines. For the 30 minutes after, I beat the habit/urge with the band because there was no way I could eat/drink at the same time and sometimes for an hour after eating with my band. So, it was mainly establishing a new habit of not drinking while I ate, or after eating with the sleeve.