Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My insurance and the hospital just stated "stomach surgery" on all the paperwork. The weight loss is so much slower than bypass that you can just let everyone think you have gotten this great will power and are working really hard to change your life.

Is this crazy? I mentioned an "interest" in having the lap band to family and friends, and everyone, except my husband went nuts! I am not telling anyone, except for him and one really good friend at work, and told her not to tell a soul! As far as anyone in my family knows, I'm going on a business trip! I told managers at work I am having surgery, because I'm using up sick days, but that I wanted it to be kept confidential and that as far as co-workers were concerned, I was saying I was going on vacation. When I lose weight, I will just say "I am eating less and excercising more."---which will be the complete truth! It shouldn't have to be this way. My overweight friends say that would be "cheating, and taking the easy way out". Geeze! I am being banded in TJ by Dr. Ortiz on July 25th!!! I can hardly wait!!!

My overweight friends say that would be "cheating, and taking the easy way out". Geeze!

Don't you hate that! :) Steams my broccoli when people say that. They have no idea. The easy way out is doing nothing and staying obese.

Wonderful for you that your DH is supportive! I think he'll be the most important one for you to need on your side. :clap2:

"I have to have a hiatal hernia repaired. The MD says I need to shrink my liver so he/she can do a lap approach to the surgery. To accomplish this, I need to be on a liquid diet for _________ days. After surgery, I need to be on a liquid diet to protect the sutures and allow for healing."

Elizabethsew has nailed it. That is exactly what I've told anyone who has asked. Not many did ask. I only said, "I'm having some minor surgery". They (ie. co-workers) asked "is everything okay, are you sure it isn't serious?" and I would reply, no, things are fine, it is minor and nothing to worry about (hoping they would get the hint). For those who didn't (only one or two) I said exactly what Elizabethsew said above and it was no problem. Plus, when I got back, I just didn't talk about it or bring it up and neither did the....I just didn't make a big deal out of it...people have their own lives to worry about and generally don't follow up!!! haha.

WOW, you've lost weight! How did you do it??? Thanks, I've been eating less and exercising more.

Julie, I am getting banded on July 25th by Dr. Ortiz. I've heard only wonderful things about it all...any helpful hints? How are you doing?

My insurance and the hospital just stated "stomach surgery" on all the paperwork. The weight loss is so much slower than bypass that you can just let everyone think you have gotten this great will power and are working really hard to change your life.

No offence ment Ralheit, but most of us ARE using great will power and ARE working really hard to change our life, even with the band. I don't need people to "think" this because it's true.

There are any number of good excuses so pick one and use it. I told everyone and now I wish I hadn't. Every time some one hasn't seen me for awhile they look me up and down and I'm sick of it.:tired

<p><p><p>You might consider giving your friends and family the chance to be supportive and excited about your upcoming situation. Most people will be incredibly supportive and, yes, inquisitive. EDUCATE them! It's not like you are having a tapeworm installed! People ask because they are interested and fascinated. I was interested and fascinated. I asked deep, probing and, to many people, totally "inappropriate" questions of those who would open up to me. I learned a LOT. They put it all out there. And guess what. HERE I am getting banded on Tuesday and hoping to climb back into the race of life for the first time in 25 years, and by GOLLY I thank the good Lord every day for those people!!! Folks, we don't have to be and SHOULD NOT BE ashamed of this! (And I am sorry, but I DO believe that MANY people who choose to hide the information are doing so out of fear of rejection or someone making a "bad judgment" against them, whether they admit it or NOT.) People have been calling us DISGUSTING FATTIES behind our backs for years. What are they gonna call you now that could be so bad? "There goes that guy/girl who had "that operation" and was a disgusting fatty and low looks....uh......normal."

I really really regret telling so many people, and if I'd known things wouldn't change that much, I wouldn't have! I did tell people that I was having hiatal hernia surgery and that my esophogus was damaged from so much reflux (all true), so that's the reason for the dietary changes (especially because I was the world's biggest Diet Coke addict and everyone knew that)...... I haven't had a carbonated beverage since Aug. 26!!! I still eat out with my group of friends and I eat much less but I do eat many of the same things that I did before. If you don't make a big deal out of it, they likely won't either! GOOD LUCK!