Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need of support - not losing

:) I was banded on June 6th and I was happy to report a 12 lbs weight loss just 1.5 weeks later during my checkup. I have my first fill on July 17th but the weight loss has stopped..I mean stopped. Tomorrow I am recommiting myself to the gym to see if I can raise my metabolism. I'm just stuck on the fact that I do eat so little and its not showing. Any advise. I hate this sinking feeling.

How many calories are you getting in per day? If it is too little, you will not lose anything because your metabolism will slow down. You might be is "starvation mode" and your body will hold onto every calorie you consume. Have you spoken with your nutritionist lately?

I too know exactly what you are going through only mine is worse. I was banded on May 8th and all together have only lost 17lbs. I walk 45mins daily, because of personal and financial reasons I haven't joined a gym yet, but I can't seem to lose and I've already had my first fill.

My MD and Nutritionist both told me the best way to jump start my system is to go back to liquids for anywhere from 3-7 days, and then progress back in. They also said to make sure I was taking Calcium, Vitamins, had the right amount of calories and Protein.< /span> That was 1 1/2 wks ago, I did that and lost 5 lbs since then. I probably would lose more if I didnt sprain my ankle last wk and have to stay off of it for 4-6wks.

Sorry you had to listen to me ramble, but I hope this info helps you. :)

Yes it does help. I'm not sure how many calories a day I take in but today for example I had a 200 calorie Protein Shake, about 3 oz of chicken and 1/3 c of rice for lunch and another 3 oz and broccoli with light mayo for dinner. I know there are online tools available to help me count calories so I think that is what I'll start doing tomorrow. I'll keep the faith.

Just wanted to remind everyone of something that you probably already know: weight loss is NOT a steady thing in most people. It is completely normal to drop a pile of weight and then not lose for 2-3 weeks, then drop some more... and the pattern goes on.

Over time, you will likely average 1-2 lbs per week. Which means you will definitely have weeks where nothing happens on the scale, and weeks where you lose more than that.

And of course the other thing: you're still in your healing stage; it's normal to drop a bunch of weight while on liquids and then see a gain or stop in weight loss for a couple weeks when you first switch to mushies or solids.

Congrats on 12 lbs lost for good!!

:)

Thanks Molly. I know I am in a rush to lose the weight. I just want this sooo bad and I see other people on the site that have lost a ton in such a short amount of time. I know I have to be realistic and that I didn't get to this place overnight. I really appreciate your input.

Ummmmm.......I only lost 6 lbs the entire first month!!!!!! Yet here I am over half waay to goal!! Hang in there, it WILL happen!

Hang in there Julie....the weight loss will come. This time is for healing and not losing. Keep your focus on healing and the rest will follow. If you push it too much, things can happen. Relax and take care of yourself. You are a baby right now.....I consider myself one too (at least in the banded life that is). :baby: I've lost 18 lbs as of Sun, but the scales haven't moved since then and it's OK with me. I understand and can relate to how great it feels when the scales go down. Give your body time to adjust.

Come to think of it, this is a good problem to have at this point b/c you could be going through a lot worse things with the band.

IT WILL HAPPEN. Keep coming here for support and know we are all in this together!!! :)

My experience right after banding was that my body had to "catch up." I have had a good and steady weight loss since my 2nd fill but prior to I would loose quit a bit and then nothing; the pattern would repeat. I would get real excited and then kinda sink. I was also concerned about where I was loosing it seemed to be all in the places I didn't want to loose (i.e. my breast, many years before gaining the weight I paid good money for them).

However, I am 10 months out and couldn't be happier with my weightloss. And the added bonus for me this has been very easy. I honestly forget I am even banded most of the time. Small bites, chewing, small quanity just seem to come natural now.

Hang in there, it will come.

You may not be eating enough. If you are eating under 1200 calories a day, and not getting adequate Protein, you should aim for around 80+ grams a day, your body may be going into starvation mode where it hangs on to everything it can. Log what you eat, I use fitday Also make sure you are drinking plenty of Water, check out this article. If you've been really severely calorie restricting for a while your metabolism could be slowed down. If thats the case you may want to up your calories for a few days, maybe even a week, to at least 1800, and make sure you're getting enough Protein, take Calcium supplements - also shown to be an important factor in weight loss. You may also want to look into weight training, as building lean muscle will boost your metabolism too. Best of luck, and hang in there, it -will- come off.

XO

Leila