Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mom's turn to have VSG!

hello everyone,

i had my VSG last Nov. 2010..so far ive lost 32.1 kls yay!!! from a size 24 im now a size 20.. What an incredible journey i never thought that i would lose this much weight..

on may 15, my mom will undergo vsg.. she's 72 yrs old and has a diabetes and a high blood pressure. our doctor assured us that he will take good care of my mom. my mom is having doubts that her body wont be able to handle the "stress" she's scared that she wont heal fast because of her diabetes and in turn might give her an infection..i dont know what to tell her except that everything will be alright, she'll be able to walk again, sleep better and be healthier.. i want her to experience the same journey that i am experiencing now i want her to be able to move around and not be confined to her room, i want her to be able to go to the mall or parks and not ride her motorcycle just to get from one destination to another.. but i just dont know what to tell her. she can see for herself the changes that happened to me and she is genuinely happy for me but scared for herself. I need help!

Suggestions anyone?

Maybe she could come on the forum and read a little for herself?

She can read "stoongal" story on here. She had her surgery at 72yr old, and did amazing well. She doesn't post on here anymore, but you can find her through the member listing, and then check her posts for her story.That might help her find some comfort in her decision to move forward with VSG.

Best wishes to her and congrats to you! ! !

Congrats to your sucess!! Everyone is scared at some point in the decision to have this surgery. But I was more afraid of not having it as far as my health is concerned. It sounds like she has health problems that she could really benefit from this surgery. Just give her a little time to think about it, have her weigh the options, and do the research. I bet she'll come around. Good luck!

Kelly

Tiffykins, it seems u have been through way too much from what im reading, but I must say....u r a wonderful inspiration, and so very knowledgable :) . Im wondering if through ur journey, u have read or have known anyone who has been sleeved with every co-mobility in the book? I am one of those people. I gave birth at 475 lbs in 1998, and have worked my way down to 320-330 (fluctuating for yrs now) In addition, I have had 4-5 hernia repairs, as well as 4-5 bowel obstructions, gallbladder removal, appendectomy, c-section, and more. At this time....I have an additional 3 hernias that need repair, and a hiatal hernia too. I have lupus, and my intestines r completely out of line....hanging way low below my pelvis area which is what the surgeon showed me on the cat scan! Soooo, the one surgeon who will re-allign the intestines and repair the hernias is saying....we will go in and do what we can but...u need to get to the bottom of the problem...which naturally is the morbid obesity, so we need to do some sort of weight loss surgery, and we think the sleeve would be best for u. I am terrified cause I have a 12 yr old son, and I practically live my life in bed. What id like to know from u is....have u come across anyone on this site, or anyone else that has been in my position and was sleeved. I have also had major infections...including cellulitis and mrsa....I am very sick...I hope u dont mind me writing to u, but as I mentioned earlier...u seem to be quite knowledgable and have been through major stuff. Thanks for listening. Any advice, suggestions u can give me would be greatly appreciated :):):)

She can read "stoongal" story on here. She had her surgery at 72yr old, and did amazing well. She doesn't post on here anymore, but you can find her through the member listing, and then check her posts for her story.That might help her find some comfort in her decision to move forward with VSG.

Best wishes to her and congrats to you! ! !

Tiffykins, it seems u have been through way too much from what im reading, but I must say....u r a wonderful inspiration, and so very knowledgable :) . Im wondering if through ur journey, u have read or have known anyone who has been sleeved with every co-mobility in the book? I am one of those people. I gave birth at 475 lbs in 1998, and have worked my way down to 320-330 (fluctuating for yrs now) In addition, I have had 4-5 hernia repairs, as well as 4-5 bowel obstructions, gallbladder removal, appendectomy, c-section, and more. At this time....I have an additional 3 hernias that need repair, and a hiatal hernia too. I have lupus, and my intestines r completely out of line....hanging way low below my pelvis area which is what the surgeon showed me on the cat scan! Soooo, the one surgeon who will re-allign the intestines and repair the hernias is saying....we will go in and do what we can but...u need to get to the bottom of the problem...which naturally is the morbid obesity, so we need to do some sort of weight loss surgery, and we think the sleeve would be best for u. I am terrified cause I have a 12 yr old son, and I practically live my life in bed. What id like to know from u is....have u come across anyone on this site, or anyone else that has been in my position and was sleeved. I have also had major infections...including cellulitis and mrsa....I am very sick...I hope u dont mind me writing to u, but as I mentioned earlier...u seem to be quite knowledgable and have been through major stuff. Thanks for listening. Any advice, suggestions u can give me would be greatly appreciated :):):)

First off, I want to congratulate you on losing a large amount of weight on your own, that right there is a huge success.

As for co-morbidities, yes there are plenty out there that have every one of those evil monsters pre-op, and the sleeve has shown to be successful in resolution or at least making them more manageable. Your medical history is beyond extensive, and you will need trust your medical team. They will take all your history into account, and then proceed with caution, and all the best medicine they can give you. I can understand your concern, but you are not living a full life right now. They might have to do your surgeries in several procedures, and for me, I'd want to know the plan right down to the "what if this happens" such as "what if a sleeve can't be done", what if I have to have an open procedure instead of laparoscopic. Take all of their pre-op advice, get a second opinion if it doesn't "feel right". Be your best advocate during this time, and if you need anything, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes ! ! !

Thanks for all ur advice Tiffykins. I will be having it done open for sure, cause the hernia repairs will be first, and from what I understand, that in itself will be a minimum 7 hr procedure, then the bariatric Dr will come in and sleeve me. Anyway, ur so right, I am not living a full life, and I feel like I really need to take the risk, but thanks for ur response, and advice. You r a major inspiration to everyone on this site. Keep up the good work, and thanx again :D:D:D

First off, I want to congratulate you on losing a large amount of weight on your own, that right there is a huge success.

As for co-morbidities, yes there are plenty out there that have every one of those evil monsters pre-op, and the sleeve has shown to be successful in resolution or at least making them more manageable. Your medical history is beyond extensive, and you will need trust your medical team. They will take all your history into account, and then proceed with caution, and all the best medicine they can give you. I can understand your concern, but you are not living a full life right now. They might have to do your surgeries in several procedures, and for me, I'd want to know the plan right down to the "what if this happens" such as "what if a sleeve can't be done", what if I have to have an open procedure instead of laparoscopic. Take all of their pre-op advice, get a second opinion if it doesn't "feel right". Be your best advocate during this time, and if you need anything, please feel free to contact me.

Best wishes ! ! !