Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for people with lower BMI

Hello Everyone,

My first post here. I have been researching and reading comments here and other sites. I wanted to ask if anyone with a BMI between 30-35 that has had this surgery. I am an Asian male with a BMI of 33 and have been in that range for the last 5 years and can't seem to lose any weight. Have terrible eating habits and now having health issues (high BP/cholesterol). What is the lowest BMI that anyone has had this surgery for? Any recommendations for a surgeon in the Dallas TX region?

Thanks,

Soon.

I had a BMI of 31. But, I also had a lap-band. Since I was a revision, there was not as much concern about my low BMI. My doctor told me that I was not the only person at 30 or so BMI to get the surgery. It is unlikely, however, that you will get insurance to pay for it. I was self pay and I am happy with the results so far.

There are a few low BMI folks on the board--

Lara

Hello!

I can't answer as a patient that had it done but I have researched it it a LOT and I have a 32 bmi and my surgery is scheduled for May 26 and I am in the same boat as you and feel like like more of like I want to catch it before things get out of control IYKWIM...? But like Rev Me Up said, I don't think you're going to be abe to get insurance to pay for it. There are some very affordable and credible self pay options available these days so you are fortunate in that. Good luck and keep us posted!smile.gif

My BMI was 35 and now it's 28. yes, I had to self-pay, but it has been worth it.

Hi Sap Soon;

We are almost the exact same BMI preop. As mentioned you will have to self pay for this surgery, as most insurance companies require a 40BMI or 35BMI with two co-morbidities being treated for a year or more. I self paid - worth every penny I spent here in the US. Yes, the sleeve works...if you work the sleeve.

My concern is your horrible eating habits. As I was addicted to fast food preop, this is a habit I had to change. I have not eaten a fast food burger in 8 months nor have i had a soda since this is just not an option for me anymore. VSG is a lifestyle change as much as a restriction surgery. You alone must decide to eat differently to lose weight even with VSG. Postop I had to plan all my meals during weight loss phase, be brutal about cutting out carbs, Snacks and other slider foods that will sabotage weight loss. Now I can eat anything I want at goal weight but I must be conscious of Protein and calories still. I do not diet but watch what I eat. If a bowl of chips are out along with cheese & crackers, I nibble on the cheese since it has Protein. If I go to PF Changs for dinner, I get the chicken lettuce wraps since rice has little nutritional value. Soups - I pick lentil over Tomato to get in the protein. Do you see the pattern of change I have to stick to in order to stay healthy?

I met my surgeon’s weight loss goal in just over 5 months and my personal goal (another 10 lbs down) at 6 months. Right now my weight is not changing but I am losing in size. Need to make another lifestyle change and get back to the gym more to pump weights. Probably losing muscle and this is not good.

Oh and I suggest you put another post up in a different forum titled - surgeon in Dallas needed. You will get a lot of replies and suggestions. Best wishes!

Hi Everyone, thank you for your comments and suggestion and positive feedback.

iegal - thank you much for your feedback. How hard was it to change the habits? Pre-op were you able to change/control your diet or were the changes mostly post-op?

I will make another post with suggestions for the doctors in the Dallas area.

Thank you everyone.

Hi Sap Soon;

We are almost the exact same BMI preop. As mentioned you will have to self pay for this surgery, as most insurance companies require a 40BMI or 35BMI with two co-morbidities being treated for a year or more. I self paid - worth every penny I spent here in the US. Yes, the sleeve works...if you work the sleeve.

My concern is your horrible eating habits. As I was addicted to fast food preop, this is a habit I had to change. I have not eaten a fast food burger in 8 months nor have i had a soda since this is just not an option for me anymore. VSG is a lifestyle change as much as a restriction surgery. You alone must decide to eat differently to lose weight even with VSG. Postop I had to plan all my meals during weight loss phase, be brutal about cutting out carbs, Snacks and other slider foods that will sabotage weight loss. Now I can eat anything I want at goal weight but I must be conscious of Protein and calories still. I do not diet but watch what I eat. If a bowl of chips are out along with cheese & crackers, I nibble on the cheese since it has Protein. If I go to PF Changs for dinner, I get the chicken lettuce wraps since rice has little nutritional value. Soups - I pick lentil over Tomato to get in the protein. Do you see the pattern of change I have to stick to in order to stay healthy?

I met my surgeon’s weight loss goal in just over 5 months and my personal goal (another 10 lbs down) at 6 months. Right now my weight is not changing but I am losing in size. Need to make another lifestyle change and get back to the gym more to pump weights. Probably losing muscle and this is not good.

Oh and I suggest you put another post up in a different forum titled - surgeon in Dallas needed. You will get a lot of replies and suggestions. Best wishes!

Hi Sap Soon;

Glad to see you reposted topic for help with surgeon.

iegal - thank you much for your feedback. How hard was it to change the habits? Pre-op were you able to change/control your diet or were the changes mostly post-op?

How did I change habits? If I could have done this preop, I never would have had a weight problem.

VSG surgery is one of best friends. I no longer hear body/stomach screaming FEED ME all the time until my eyes closed. PostOp I followed my surgeon’s diet almost without exception until I hit goal. Kept my carbs to around 30gm a day...yes that was difficult but not impossible. Stayed away from my triggers like fast food - I have not had a fast food burger in over 8 months nor do I miss it. Of course I do not walk into BK or McD either. I made choices. Before I never had willpower but knowing the $ I spent was a huge investment in me alone. I was never disappointed because failure of this last ditch effort was not something I would accept. Others make the sleeve work and I did too.

PreOp my surgeon had me on a two week liquid Protein diet. Horrid tasting drinks, nasty, thick and too sweet. YUCK. But, I powered through the inhumane (it really did feel like torture) diet by keeping my eye on a soon to happen surgery. I did not cheat once....not once. Think the diet is to see how serious you are about making a change. If you can do something for two weeks, can you repeat this success? If you cheat..Will you cheat post op, eating solids before you should, this could cause a leak or other complications?

Do your research, understand VSG is permanent and write down why you are doing this surgery. Find a good surgeon who offers follow up PostOp. Love this board, but I still l go in my surgeons office for blood work, support groups with other WLS patients and face to face time with my Dr to keep me honest about my health. These actions keep me on track. PostOp read your reasons of why you had surgery to remind you of your goals. Mine were health (I was killing myself & not softly) appearance (sorry if this is vain) and long term results. I still want to be healthy, look "normal" and know I can achieve my goals without another disappointment.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to send me a private message (click on my user name above) if you would like to discuss further.

Good luck to all of you presleevers. I have no regrets.

Hi Sap Soon - I just stumbled upon this thread, I hope I can help you!! My BMI was 36, a little higher than yours, but not a lot. I had NO health issues, but considered my surgery "preventive maintenence". Best thing I've ever done. I reached goal in just under five months and am now maintaining at between 12 and 16 lbs under goal. My surgeon was Dr. James Davidson there in Dallas. I would suggest you find a "Center of Excellence" doctor. A couple of other surgeons in the DFW area that have good reputations are Dr. Nick Nicholson, Dr. Jayaseelan and Dr. David Kim. I am certain that there are others, but those are ones that I know of personally. Good luck!!!

Hello Everyone,

My first post here. I have been researching and reading comments here and other sites. I wanted to ask if anyone with a BMI between 30-35 that has had this surgery. I am an Asian male with a BMI of 33 and have been in that range for the last 5 years and can't seem to lose any weight. Have terrible eating habits and now having health issues (high BP/cholesterol). What is the lowest BMI that anyone has had this surgery for? Any recommendations for a surgeon in the Dallas TX region?

Thanks,

Soon.

I too started out with a "low" BMI of about 32. I'm 14 weeks out and as you can see from my ticker I'm close to my goal and now anticipate going under that goal of 140lbs! My surgeon does have a lot of people travel to see him if you are interested in that. I was able to drive there-which made my decision easy about where to go.

Good luck!!

Dr Alveraz is supposed to be great. Also my bmi is 29.6 to 30.6 and I'm having the sleeve done in 6 weeks. I was told by the beat doctor here in San fransico that ok do to it with a 28 bmi especially if you ate having weight related issues ( high bp, sleep apnea, etc. )