Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1 of my pre-op liquid diet!

Today is Day 1 of my liquid diet. This isn't the hard part. Like everyone else, I am getting so so nervous. Surgery is two weeks away, am I making a mistake? Do I really know what I'm doing? Couldn't I just lose the weight on my own? Just some thoughts passing through my mind. I'm sure everyone got nervous before hand. This is right for me. I know it.

A journey of a thousand miles (or several pounds) begins with one step. 2 week preop diet is difficult but the results are so worth it!

I am a month away from surgery and I find myself watching infomercials about the "6 week body make-over program" and wonder -- why am I have

surgery? Maybe I should try dieting one more time????

The reality is I've tried dieting my whole life and for every pound I ever lost I gained back 2/3/4. A chubby kid who dieted herself into a obese (excuse me SUPER OBESE BMI 51) adult. There is little to no chance I am going to lose 100lbs plus without this surgery. Although the medical profession doesn't

have anything else to offer obese people other than surgery -- but the surgeries have improved -- and that is why I'm getting sleeved. I am willing to

work hard every day to redefine my relationship with food and with eating for reasons other than hunger. I just read that sentence and it is SCARY

for me to contemplate anxiety without compulsive overeating in my arsenal.

I am on day 4 of my pre op diet and while I can think of a whole lot of things to eat other than Protein shakes I have not for one minute thought this is not a good choice. I am 10 days out from my surgery and Yep I too am getting nervous but I am also getting so excited!! The other day me and my bestie/sister "2sweetinsugarland" went to a "normal" size store that didn't even have a plus size section. I had forgotten how pretty the sun dresses and other clothes really can be. I wanted to cry cause I will have a choice to buy that kind of stuff real soon. I am looking forward to buying something cause it looks dang good on me as apposed to buying it cause thank God it fits. I am tired of looking for clothes near the grandma or maternity section. And I am tired of being sick! I feel blessed that I have this choice now. WLS has come a long way from when they first started doing them. I have, like many others, tried everything under the sun to get this 120 pounds off and it has not worked or maybe I have not worked. I know this is not a magic pill or bullet but it can help a whole lot. I need a tool to add to my arsenal of what I need to do to get this stuff off. I still have some mental adjustments that need to be made so that this tool can be a success cause food is my hobby, my friend, my happy, my sad, my pissed and my frustrated - But I am working and studying and praying on that too.

Don't worry...you can do this...we can do this.

Wow sorry it got so long...

Thanks everyone for your replies, it really helps more than you know. I know this is right for me. That's why i post on this site, because I have an awesome support group on here. :)

HI :)

I just want to say, this is THE NICEST POST I HAVE READ SINCE IM WITH THIS SITE!!! It is sooooo inspiring, sooo real, and it just hit home! I am scheduled for my sleeve on June 13th. In the last month, I have eaten more than ever!!!!!!!!!!! and Im sooo disgusted with myself, cause I actually gained nearly 30 lbs, but.....after reading ur post this morning, I feel so much more enthused to start my pre-op diet today, and keep it going, just because..... I AM REALLY TIRED OF BEING SICK, AND (NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOP AT LANE BRYANT STORES IN YRS) SHOP ONLY AT BIG AND TALL MEN, AND for so many other reasons. June will be here faster than I can blink. I need to do this too. Thank u for this inspiring story. Keep up the good work, cause I know u r soooo excited, and u will be a big success!!!! May God Bless u :D:D:D

I am on day 4 of my pre op diet and while I can think of a whole lot of things to eat other than Protein shakes I have not for one minute thought this is not a good choice. I am 10 days out from my surgery and Yep I too am getting nervous but I am also getting so excited!! The other day me and my bestie/sister "2sweetinsugarland" went to a "normal" size store that didn't even have a plus size section. I had forgotten how pretty the sun dresses and other clothes really can be. I wanted to cry cause I will have a choice to buy that kind of stuff real soon. I am looking forward to buying something cause it looks dang good on me as apposed to buying it cause thank God it fits. I am tired of looking for clothes near the grandma or maternity section. And I am tired of being sick! I feel blessed that I have this choice now. WLS has come a long way from when they first started doing them. I have, like many others, tried everything under the sun to get this 120 pounds off and it has not worked or maybe I have not worked. I know this is not a magic pill or bullet but it can help a whole lot. I need a tool to add to my arsenal of what I need to do to get this stuff off. I still have some mental adjustments that need to be made so that this tool can be a success cause food is my hobby, my friend, my happy, my sad, my pissed and my frustrated - But I am working and studying and praying on that too.

Don't worry...you can do this...we can do this.

Wow sorry it got so long...

HI :)

I just want to say, this is THE NICEST POST I HAVE READ SINCE IM WITH THIS SITE!!! It is sooooo inspiring, sooo real, and it just hit home! I am scheduled for my sleeve on June 13th. In the last month, I have eaten more than ever!!!!!!!!!!! and Im sooo disgusted with myself, cause I actually gained nearly 30 lbs, but.....after reading ur post this morning, I feel so much more enthused to start my pre-op diet today, and keep it going, just because..... I AM REALLY TIRED OF BEING SICK, AND (NOT BEING ABLE TO SHOP AT LANE BRYANT STORES IN YRS) SHOP ONLY AT BIG AND TALL MEN, AND for so many other reasons. June will be here faster than I can blink. I need to do this too. Thank u for this inspiring story. Keep up the good work, cause I know u r soooo excited, and u will be a big success!!!! May God Bless u :D:D:D

Oh thank you so much. We are all helping each other so much on this site. I know what you mean about eating more coming up to the pre op - the majority of us are emotional eaters and if this doesn't trigger emotions I don't know what will. I think eating is the hardest to control during the waiting period. Don't be mad at yourself for gaining cause that is just another emotion that is soo distructive ( I know). cause if you are disgusted then you can't love yourself and Lady you have to love yourself in order to take care of yourself. I felt disgust at how I allowed myself to get to this point...we all know the scenario...standing naked in front of a mirror and thinking what happened...:( But the first thing I did when I started this journey was apologize....to me....for abusing food for so long...for not taken care of what God blessed me with. I had to forgive me before I could love me again. I started working out in November - long before I even decided to have WLS and I think that may have helped a little to keep from eating too much. I started trying to eat healthy and not be on any particular diet...just healthy so that I would not do any more damage until I could get help. And that is when I decided to get WLS (Sleeve). Hang in there Lady and hold on. June will definately be here before you know it. Start your journey now. Start walking - you know...a little bit here and a little bit there. Go to some of the group sessions and keep reading some the great stuff the people on this forum are kind enough to share with us. We are all right here with you. Thanks again and God Bless You too.

i am also on Day 1 of my pre-op liquid diet. I thought it really wouldn't get too hard until like the 3rd day or so. I have been fighting a headache all day. I'm hungry but not too bad because of trying to do shakes for meals on and off for a month or two. Maybe it is my blood sugar because I am diabetic. Feel like crap today. Ugh, I hope it does get better. I wasn't expecting this for a couple of days when the hunger would really hit. I guess I shouldn't assume on how things will go.

I know it will be worth it in the end so I will stick with it, even if it gets worse. I am worried about taking too many Tylenols for headaches this close to surgery. I guess I should check with my doctor. Has anyone heard anything like this?

I can't believe my surgery is on the 23rd - I keep telling myself that like a mantra over and over. This diet will help me get my liver in shape before surgery so I have to do it for my health. I can't wait until my stomach is too small to care as much about not getting a lot of food. That will be awesome!

I wish the best to all of you in this process as well!

Becky

i am also on Day 1 of my pre-op liquid diet. I thought it really wouldn't get too hard until like the 3rd day or so. I have been fighting a headache all day. I'm hungry but not too bad because of trying to do shakes for meals on and off for a month or two. Maybe it is my blood sugar because I am diabetic. Feel like crap today. Ugh, I hope it does get better. I wasn't expecting this for a couple of days when the hunger would really hit. I guess I shouldn't assume on how things will go.

I know it will be worth it in the end so I will stick with it, even if it gets worse. I am worried about taking too many Tylenols for headaches this close to surgery. I guess I should check with my doctor. Has anyone heard anything like this?

I can't believe my surgery is on the 23rd - I keep telling myself that like a mantra over and over. This diet will help me get my liver in shape before surgery so I have to do it for my health. I can't wait until my stomach is too small to care as much about not getting a lot of food. That will be awesome!

I wish the best to all of you in this process as well!

Becky

Hang in there. The headaches are you going through withdrawal. I started pre op diet April 29th and I am a diabetic. It does get better after about the third day. Drink all the shakes the doctor says drink and plenty of Water and crystal lite drinks. Also if your doctor allows it - the beef and chicken broth helps break up the monotony of drinking something sweet all the time. Drink drink drink all the time (stay near the bathroom :D ) and when you see youself shrinking before your eyes it will not be so bad. Hope that helps.

Hang in there. The headaches are you going through withdrawal. I started pre op diet April 29th and I am a diabetic. It does get better after about the third day. Drink all the shakes the doctor says drink and plenty of Water and crystal lite drinks. Also if your doctor allows it - the beef and chicken broth helps break up the monotony of drinking something sweet all the time. Drink drink drink all the time (stay near the bathroom :D ) and when you see youself shrinking before your eyes it will not be so bad. Hope that helps.

It definitely does. I guess my weeklong food funeral where I honestly went totally off my diet that I've maintained for more than six months really has messed me up. I didn't think I would be suffering from massive hunger pangs, etc at this point but I know I really eat too much this past week.

My husband told me that I was probably doing more harm than good but it was fun while it lasted! I really don't like a lot of the sweet and fried foods the way I used to. I think my head likes them a lot more than my taste buds and body do. Which is good and I will continue to focus on that fact when my head tells me I want fried foods, etc! They don't do anything for me anymore, really are just okay, not thrilling. The weight loss has been more thrilling.

I am stressed too because it is the last two weeks at work and I need to get a lot done before I am out but I have no energy right now to work overtime or even that hard at present. Hopefully, I will feel better near the end of the week so I can pull some extra hours. I told my co-worker today that if I leave a lot of stuff undone when I'm out - that I am apologizing in advance! Ugh!

The start of this diet so makes everything real for me. The surgery is going to happen - it is so awesome! This pre-op diet is tough but it will be worth it. And hey, I have two more shakes for today so I should be okay with dealing with too much hunger. I think I am going to hide in my room tonight while my hubby has his dinner. If not, he will start looking like a chicken leg - ha ha!

Hope your surgery goes great - yours must be around the corner!

Im nervous as well. I have my surgery this May 21st... One hour im so excited, the next im questioning everything! What keeps me sane is going on you tube and watching other peoples journey's. Its so amazing to hear how this sugery changed their lives! Im looking at this as a No fail change, a new start and claim to my life. I also keep telling myself I derserve it, which we ALL do. Hang in there and remember you already know your life in your current body, don't you want to find out how your life could be? Im SO curious! All the best!

Today is Day 1 of my liquid diet. This isn't the hard part. Like everyone else, I am getting so so nervous. Surgery is two weeks away, am I making a mistake? Do I really know what I'm doing? Couldn't I just lose the weight on my own? Just some thoughts passing through my mind. I'm sure everyone got nervous before hand. This is right for me. I know it.