Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering what you would do if your insurance does not cover mental health? I think I need to speak to somebody about my issues with food (eating when not hungry, mainly) but a visit for mental health is $100/hr. I can't afford that as I'm still paying for my surgery that, guess what, insurance didn't cover! I'm trying to find an organization that may help with the cost, but have had no success. Any suggestions?

Many mental health clinicians have a sliding scale of fees based upon your income for people who have to pay cash. Also, if you see someone with a Master's degree rather than a doctorate they may be a little less expensive. Have you tried calling your county mental health services office for a few referral names? Or there is a psychologist locator on www.apa.org.

What about your church? Many religious organizations have counseling services that they offer as a charity. Just a suggestion. Good luck

What about your church? Many religious organizations have counseling services that they offer as a charity. Just a suggestion. Good luck

No church. I'm not a follower of organized religion. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

How deep-seated is your problem? Do you have an idea why you eat when you're not hungry and just need strategies to cope with the urges, or do you think the problem has many causes? I don't think you necessarily need a psychologist but if your problem goes back a long time you need someone with a lot of experience, no matter what their degree. Call some from the Yellow pages, ask your friends (no need to tell them why) and then ask the therapist how long they have been practicing. Ten years or more would be good.

I don't have answers. That's why I think I need help. I do need strategies to help with the urges and I want to know why the problem is there. I have ideas on why, but that's not curing the problem. I am often asking myself "What the hell is wrong with you??" b/c I know what I'm doing is wrong but I do it anyway. How do you overcome that urge that is so powerful that even logic can't beat it???

Have you thought about looking for an Overeaters Anonymous meeting in your area? I've never been to one, so I'm not sure exactly how helpful it would be, but I think it might be a good place to start, especially since there's no cost.

That sucks that your insurance does not cover mental health stuff. Good luck to you!

Maybe check out any support groups in your area from the hospital where you had your surgery? ...or at the very least there is a 'Buddy/Mentor' list here, maybe just reaching out to another sleever who has similar issues as you, but farther along can provide some insight.

I think we all struggle with this at some capacity...I know for me filling my time with hobbies, my sports teams, work, great friends, my doggies...keeps me on track and not so focused on food and the decisions I make. From the time I've overcome cigarette and alcohol abuse, it is a daily (sometimes hourly) conscience decision to stay clean. It's been 2.5 years and it does get easier, but my lifestyle had to change drastically and I'm not out of the woods yet.

You're on the right path to seek out some help, if you need anything, send me a PM.

xx

Heidi

do you attend a support group for VSG? sometimes talking to others who share your problems help..

try and find a local support group or see if your dr. knows of one in your area. this service should be free.

good luck!

Kelly :D

Yes, I've tried County Health Dept and they don't offer anything. Do you think a counselor is appropriate or do you think Psychologist is necessary?

I believe that a counselor/therapist would be beneficial. The difference is that they cannot prescribe medications. I think what you are describing is typical for most and a therapist can help you develop strategies for dealing with the challenges you face. I have been seeing a therapist for a few years and she has been instrumental in helping me cope with the changes in my mind and body since the sleeve. There are two books she suggested to me that I will recommend:

Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink

Changing Our food, Changing Ourselves: Women, food, Relationships, & Culture by Karen Burke

These have been very insightful. Since your insurance company doesn't cover the cost of a mental health professional maybe pick up these books and give them a read. At least, it will put you on the right path.

Good luck!

BTW ... with my therapist's help I eventually determined that I eat when I am not hungry out of boredom. I am still working on trying to fill up my day with activities that keep my mind focused on things other than food. You are NOT alone in this struggle. Keep your chin up!

I would recommend speaking to your surgeon's office staff. Even if your insurance doesn't cover the band, your surgeon may likely require you to have a psych evaluation prior to surgery. My surgeon's office gave me a list of psychologists that they recommended and I picked one. I liked her a lot! She's even speaking at the support group meeting I'm planning to attend next week with my DH.

The problem with physician referral is that I had my surgery done in another state. BUT...I've just found a counselor that offers her services on a sliding scale payment basis. I feel like I've just hit the lottery! The psych around my home want $150/hr. Based on her sliding scale, I'll pay $40 for 50min. I'm so happy...I can't wait to go!

The problem with physician referral is that I had my surgery done in another state. BUT...I've just found a counselor that offers her services on a sliding scale payment basis. I feel like I've just hit the lottery! The psych around my home want $150/hr. Based on her sliding scale, I'll pay $40 for 50min. I'm so happy...I can't wait to go!

Good job! Keep us posted on your progress!

Great news!!! I'm glad you found someone.