Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those who are considering VGS

Hi all -

I am scheduled for surgery Wednesday and have been doing the liquid fast. This may sound odd to some but this is an experience I wish I had done 18 months ago when I was first considering having this surgery. Every now and then I will read where someone who is about 50 or 60 pounds overweight and wanting the sleeve as their solution. Well, to those folks I would make a suggestion that they consider doing a few days pre-diet fast as a first step in evaluating their need.

First, with the exception of about 2 or 3 hours a day this has not been that bad. I've been amazed at how not horrible having something like 680 liquid calories per day has been. My difficult time is 4 to 6 p.m. Otherwise, I can't explain it, but it's a challenge but not horrible.

Secondly, this has forced me to really examine how I use food. Because in those first 2 or 3 days I realized that my eating was a combination of habit and fighting boredom. For instance, lunch is a way to get away from my desk for 30 to 45 minutes and away from my job. I think I always thought I was hungry when a least some of the time it was only because it was on schedule at the time to eat. And because I spend a lot of time in meetings where you just can't suddenly break out a turkey sandwich, I would eat at noon when in reality, if I had waited, real hunger might not have come until 2 in the afternoon. And the longer you push out when you eat, the fewer calories you eat in that day. And in some way, maybe utilizing liquid, I could have managed that better.

I learned I ate things I maybe didn't even really like that well. That will stop. If I only have space for a few bites, it will be of what I want. You know my "last meal" was ribs with mashed potatoes and the potatoes were cold. And bad. Even with it being my "last meal", I didn't send them back. That will change. Now that I'm one day away from surgery, it makes me mad at myself that I accepted crappy potatoes at a pricey restaurant. Another growing experience which has very little to do with food. (And I don't mean I will be rude, but something like that will go back in the future.)

And mostly, I now know that if I had learned to use distraction it might have made a big difference in my life. This week I've had to do other things to distract myself and it worked. A lot of the times when I was hungry I would do something and 30 minutes later realize I wasn't all that hungry anymore. I've never been a hobby or craft type person. I am going to be investigating and finding something for going forward.

There are a lot of other things I've discovered. And mostly, I really do wish I had tried this at the beginning of my process. It's taught me that much.

I really think this will be helpful for someone who's 350 pounds, I don't think it will impact whether or not you should have the surgery. Those of us with serious weigh issue simply can't change our lives as soon as we need to with behavior only. But for people who are moderately overweight, I think this would be an excellent learning experience. It could change some patterns, help you realize what's really driving your reach for food and help you learn new food skills that could be applied to where you are not "dieting" but just learning what food really means to you in your life. For those 50 pounds overweight, even I believe there are some who can avoid this not so easy surgical step by examining your relationship with food maybe from a different view. And the clearest way I've ever done that is to do this fast. So before you self pay and sleeve, I just wanted to put the suggestion out there.

And now I'm going to ask that you send positive energy to the fat woman in Ohio on the afternoon of 4/27. I am so concerned that I am going to wig out. Surgery makes me so nervous giving up all my control. But now that I've starved all these days, if I'm ever going to do it, it will be Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you all in this struggle. I have high hopes that in 3 months time I will have finally won the war and not just the occasional short term battle.

Hi- Like you- I have learned sooo much in just this first week of my preop diet- that I don't have to drink 4 Rt 44 Diet Cokes a day- first of all- is a huge blessing- I sleep and feel so much better - I have lost 10lbs in one week- and like you - I have learned distraction- like- asking myself- am I really hungry or is it just cause my co-worker next to me is eating this huge hot juicy cheeseburger- and I am bored- lol- but really- I have not been too hungry- granted there has been times when i just wanted something bad- but I put my big girl panties on and sucked it up- and had a bottle of Water and then measured my hunger- my preop has been 2 shakes and a smartones meal- so it's not like it has all been liquids- but it has really had a freedom that I hope to continue to enjoy after I am sleeved next monday. (but I am getting very freaked out- or just excitement mixed with the uncertainity that others have put into my head lol ) Good Luck to you on your adventure!!

That was amazing, insightful, and inspiring. I am 6 weeks post op, and I thought almost all the same stuff,(I didn't send my potatoes back either.. lol) You will be just fine, The results are fantastic, the new way of thinking and eating, is quite frankly, a bitch, but when one is committed, to change, it is also a blessing! Nothing easy is worth having... Good luck in Ohio,I'll be thinking of you,

Hello again :) , Thanks for the inspiring post. I not only ate the cold potatoes, but the raw chicken too!!! I want to wish u a wonderful and speedy recovery, and Many, Many good years to come for you. You will be in my prayers. I know you will do fine. Just get back here fast, we will all be waiting to hear from your skinny self afterwards !!! You gooooo girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D:D

Hi all -

I am scheduled for surgery Wednesday and have been doing the liquid fast. This may sound odd to some but this is an experience I wish I had done 18 months ago when I was first considering having this surgery. Every now and then I will read where someone who is about 50 or 60 pounds overweight and wanting the sleeve as their solution. Well, to those folks I would make a suggestion that they consider doing a few days pre-diet fast as a first step in evaluating their need.

First, with the exception of about 2 or 3 hours a day this has not been that bad. I've been amazed at how not horrible having something like 680 liquid calories per day has been. My difficult time is 4 to 6 p.m. Otherwise, I can't explain it, but it's a challenge but not horrible.

Secondly, this has forced me to really examine how I use food. Because in those first 2 or 3 days I realized that my eating was a combination of habit and fighting boredom. For instance, lunch is a way to get away from my desk for 30 to 45 minutes and away from my job. I think I always thought I was hungry when a least some of the time it was only because it was on schedule at the time to eat. And because I spend a lot of time in meetings where you just can't suddenly break out a turkey sandwich, I would eat at noon when in reality, if I had waited, real hunger might not have come until 2 in the afternoon. And the longer you push out when you eat, the fewer calories you eat in that day. And in some way, maybe utilizing liquid, I could have managed that better.

I learned I ate things I maybe didn't even really like that well. That will stop. If I only have space for a few bites, it will be of what I want. You know my "last meal" was ribs with mashed potatoes and the potatoes were cold. And bad. Even with it being my "last meal", I didn't send them back. That will change. Now that I'm one day away from surgery, it makes me mad at myself that I accepted crappy potatoes at a pricey restaurant. Another growing experience which has very little to do with food. (And I don't mean I will be rude, but something like that will go back in the future.)

And mostly, I now know that if I had learned to use distraction it might have made a big difference in my life. This week I've had to do other things to distract myself and it worked. A lot of the times when I was hungry I would do something and 30 minutes later realize I wasn't all that hungry anymore. I've never been a hobby or craft type person. I am going to be investigating and finding something for going forward.

There are a lot of other things I've discovered. And mostly, I really do wish I had tried this at the beginning of my process. It's taught me that much.

I really think this will be helpful for someone who's 350 pounds, I don't think it will impact whether or not you should have the surgery. Those of us with serious weigh issue simply can't change our lives as soon as we need to with behavior only. But for people who are moderately overweight, I think this would be an excellent learning experience. It could change some patterns, help you realize what's really driving your reach for food and help you learn new food skills that could be applied to where you are not "dieting" but just learning what food really means to you in your life. For those 50 pounds overweight, even I believe there are some who can avoid this not so easy surgical step by examining your relationship with food maybe from a different view. And the clearest way I've ever done that is to do this fast. So before you self pay and sleeve, I just wanted to put the suggestion out there.

And now I'm going to ask that you send positive energy to the fat woman in Ohio on the afternoon of 4/27. I am so concerned that I am going to wig out. Surgery makes me so nervous giving up all my control. But now that I've starved all these days, if I'm ever going to do it, it will be Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you all in this struggle. I have high hopes that in 3 months time I will have finally won the war and not just the occasional short term battle.

Hi all -

Hi, I am one those fat people who only had/have about 60 lbs to lose. All I can say is that I tried fasting, all fluids, and all the other diets under the sun since I was 9. I'm 42 now, and I would lose weight and then when I stopped the diet I would gradually put on all the weight, and more. To start with I was 5 lbs overweight, I ended up 60 lbs overweight (obese):( It's just that all these diets usually don't work in the long term. I am sure that if I hadn't had my sleeve I would end up 300 lbs and with even more health issues ( at 220 lbs I had insulin resistance-the next stage would've been diabetes and pain in my knees) Now at 159 lbs not only have these problems disappeared but I feel so much healthier and I LOVE exercising ( I NEVER thought I would say that in my life!)

Good luck with your sleeve :)

Good luck with the sleeve !! Really do you think that people that have "just" 60 pounds haven't tried all the diets that you have tried. I have tried most everything out there and I can lose 20 pounds and I can gain back 30. When I was researching the lapband I would see comments like this and wanted to ask, so when you only have 60 pounds left to lose will you have the band removed and do it on your own. Same goes with the sleeve, it isn't easy to lose 60 pounds and keep it off. I'm still not sure if I will get sleeved; I am a self pay, which is ok, but my doctor doesn't offer blis insurance for complications. He has had zero leaks but I'm so scared to put my family in a financial bind is complications arise.

Good luck with the sleeve !! Really do you think that people that have "just" 60 pounds haven't tried all the diets that you have tried. I have tried most everything out there and I can lose 20 pounds and I can gain back 30. When I was researching the lapband I would see comments like this and wanted to ask, so when you only have 60 pounds left to lose will you have the band removed and do it on your own. Same goes with the sleeve, it isn't easy to lose 60 pounds and keep it off. I'm still not sure if I will get sleeved; I am a self pay, which is ok, but my doctor doesn't offer blis insurance for complications. He has had zero leaks but I'm so scared to put my family in a financial bind is complications arise.

Well, maybe my point was lost. Or maybe you really have tried it all. But I really wasn't talking about diet. Or losing weight. Or whether you eat a cookie instead of an apple. I was talking about how you think about it all. Breaking the habit of eating immediately. Breaking the habit of eating things you really don't like but it's in front of you. Breaking the habit of taking food because someone else is eating.

I know I am different. I've said here before that in 2001-2002 I lost 165 pounds "on my own". Over 2005-2006ish I started gaining it back. I honestly will never know if I had had the insights I've learned over these past 18 months in this program and 2 weeks on this fast if I would have. If I had occasionally taken a window of a week to fast and remind myself of how/why/what I am doing with food, I don't know. I do know that I have gained less than half of my loss back so I do think I did one heck of a job, especially compared to some folks I know who have even had surgery. But I was in a very bad car accident years ago and will now be needing knee replacement so surgery is now important for me. I can't have knee replacement and be almost 80 pounds overweight.

If you have honestly worked on the habits surrounding food, NOT THE FOOD ITSELF, if you have honestly faced why you eat, then you've done it all and should self pay. But I will also say this and I think it's the most important thing I can tell you and please understand that this speaks only to a portion of the people have WLS. Nothing is a universal rule...at least I don't think so.

Not doing these things, not having these experiences, may very well be why people who have weight loss surgery end up gaining the weight back. Because it's really not about the food specifically. People who have had all of the WLS's can gain weight back and many do. Heck, there's even a term for it. I'm only suggesting that everyone needs to think of this as a bigger issue than being restricted from eating because, from what I understand, if you don't consider the other factors, you will find a way to work around the restriction and be right back in the same boat in 4 or 5 years.

You are very wise to consider the complications but with a good surgeon and a good patient who follows the rules, it is pretty safe for someone who is not morbidly obese. (Actually pretty safe for all, but safer for you.) I'm guessing you will be able to get up and walk easily (my knee is the issue) and that in itself reduces risk. I'm not saying surgery isn't the right choice for you. In fact, in time they may learn doing it earlier is the smarter way to do. But I think everyone needs to be ready to think deeply about how they will need to change in their way of dealing with food.

And from here on out, I will always eat only quality and send those bad foods back!

Hello again :) , Thanks for the inspiring post. I not only ate the cold potatoes, but the raw chicken too!!! I want to wish u a wonderful and speedy recovery, and Many, Many good years to come for you. You will be in my prayers. I know you will do fine. Just get back here fast, we will all be waiting to hear from your skinny self afterwards !!! You gooooo girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D:D

Oh girl!! Raw chicken? ???

My whole last meal was bit of a waste. Maybe that was a sign. I can't wait until this is over and I'm back home. I havenow lost over 30 pounds with the pre-dieting stuff now so I can't wait until the other 50 are gone and I can start complaining about how my butt bones hurt from sitting on them. Because trust me, they have been padded for a long, long time!!! :D

Will be sending you healing vibes and good wishes tomorrow afternoon! By the way...I am one who has needed to lose "just" 60 lbs for 15 + years! I would occasionally lose it by trying every diet known to woman but the fat always came back and bringing friends with it!

Good luck with your new sleeve and welcome to the loser's bench! :D

Good luck to you with the surgery!!!

What I find incredible now after the surgery is that food is really not important the way it used to be. It's important now for me to feed myself to keep me alive, butI can't lean on it anymore. I can't use food for entertainment. I can't mindlessly eat like I used to. Sounds like you will take the lessons learned on your pre-op diet and really see them enforced with the sleeve. It is very emotional.

Take care and here's hoping for a speedy recovery--

Lara

Hi all -

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll hahahahahahaha. That had to be the funniest thing I have ever heard, I kid u nottt!!! Anyway, ur good! have to give u credit, big time!!! Keep up the good work.......and keep in touch too! :D:D:D

Oh girl!! Raw chicken????

My whole last meal was bit of a waste. Maybe that was a sign. I can't wait until this is over and I'm back home. I havenow lost over 30 pounds with the pre-dieting stuff now so I can't wait until the other 50 are gone and I can start complaining about how my butt bones hurt from sitting on them. Because trust me, they have been padded for a long, long time!!! :D