Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! My name is Shanna . . . I'm a newbie!

This is pretty much what you will find if you go to my "About me" page. It's there in case anyone wants to re-read this ever again . . . but I figured it was as good a way to introduce myself here as any! I am inspired by the successes of the people on this board, and I have certainly learned a LOT from reading on here!

I am a thoroughly blessed wife to my husband of 19 years . . . and mother to the most amazing three children on the planet! We have a son, 19 years old, a daughter, 16 and a half years old, and another daughter who just turned 14 months old! Thanks to PCOS, we had a REALLY LONG gap between those last two children . . .

But God knew what he was doing because having a sweet little baby in the house has certainly been an enormously positive change to an already awesome family! We are all crazy about her . . . even though her presence certainly changed the dynamics of this family!

I am not sleeved yet, and I don't have a surgery date yet either. I have not met with the surgeon, but I know it will be one of two at DePaul Hospital in St. Louis, MO . . .

I begin a 12-week "medically supervised" diet next week . . . a month into that, I get to meet with the surgeon. I am a registered nurse by education and have done EXTENSIVE research on the available procedures, and I know that the sleeve is the right one for me. I wish I had done this a long time ago, but my husband's insurance has only been covering weight loss surgery for a couple of years . . . so it wasn't an option for me before. I have type 2 diabetes, PCOS, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia. I'm sure I'm really not very different from anyone else here . . . although I HAVE already raised a couple of kids and I just started over!

My older kids have said they don't know if they want a "skinny mom," because "fat mom" is the only mom they have ever known. They love me the way I am and have never been embarrassed to introduce me to their friends . . . have never been ashamed to say I am their mom. They think it's weird that their baby sister is going to be the only one of them to grow up with a thinner mom . . . lol. They are saying that none of her childhood experiences of mom and dad are going to be like theirs were . . . especially this. They support my decision to do this . . . but they really don't understand all of the factors that went in this decision.

I do not have any raging body issues. My husband (who is thin) absolutely loves me. He finds me attractive at any size and can't keep his hands off of me! I know I'm heavy, but I still clean up ok! I'm not really having surgery because of a burning desire to be thin necessarily. I want to control my diabetes. I want to live long enough to see my baby grow up . . . and at my current weight (285), and with all of the problems I have controlling my blood sugar, I just don't see that happening without a massive surgical intervention. That's not to say that I'm not looking forward to some of the benefits of being thinner! I can't wait to buy a pair of pants that I DIDN'T have to go to Lane Bryant for! I might even start wearing make-up again! Who knows!

All I know is that I am committed to this change, as well as all of the lifestyle adjustments that it entails. I need this tool . . . this mechanical advantage, if you will, to help me. I have been unsuccessful on my own, and I have been fat, getting fatter and fatter for almost 20 years. Enough is enough.

Thank you for reading my ramblings!

Shanna

Hi Shanna!! I'm Melissa, and we have some things in common. You have me beat on the age spread, but not by much....mine are 14 3/4 years apart. One of my daughters is 20 years and 3 months old, and my other is 5 years and 7 months old! laugh.giflaugh.gif I totally get what you are saying about fat mom vs thin mom...*and* your reasons for doing it. Good job!! **love** the "mechanical advantage" part, too... I've been using my weight like a defense in some ways...I am a loner for the most part...happy to be home with the kids instead of out and about. But when my big fat arse couldn't fit into a seat an arena football game, I am *so* over it! Went to the seminar with my daughter and ended up signing up right then and there. Looking forward to losing even a little bit. Good luck on your journey...I will keep you in my thoughts/prayers/offerings to the Universe (whichever you prefer...lol) ~Melissa

Welcome Shanna! You are so in the right place, and no matter what you are going through there is always someone here to support you. I loved reading your story, and I am so happy you are getting the ball rolling. If nothing else, lady, we will have a similar surgery date. I am half way done with my six month supervised weight loss, and only three months to go. Good luck on your journey hope to see you around. :)