Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WTffffff- Esophogitus must be healed before doing surgery!!!

And, I thought the hardest part of this whole process was to get my insurance approval. I jumped through all kinds of stupid hoops, various delays here and there, but Aetna only took 3 days to approve me. Then, after 2 weeks of games, I find out the surgeon won't do the surgery until my Esophogitus GRADE C is healed. I was diagnosed a Grade C, which there are 4 levels (A, B, C, D) with D being the worst.

I am told it can take months or even a year for the esphogitus to heal. My insurance approval is only good for 6 months. The clock is ticking. I was only put on the meds a few weeks ago to stop the acid from coming back up so the esophogitus can start the healing process. It was suggested to me that taking frequent rounds of NSAID could significantly reduce the inflammation and maybe even give the appearance that it is healed. The only way to know is doing yet ANOTHER EGD. I really don't understand what the big deal is.

Oh, and the other thing is that it is possible there may be permanent damage that would make completely healing impossible. :-(

I'm so worried that I won't be able to get this surgery before the insurance approval expires. I see people who had to re-apply for their approvals and then the insurance companies change the rules, with some getting denied or even MORE delays.

Please anyone who has any suggestions on how to expedite the healing process would be greatly appreciated!!!

Don't do the frequent NSAID thing, it could give you an ulcer and make things worse. But do see if steroids could help, they are used for some types of esophagitis.

Don't do the frequent NSAID thing, it could give you an ulcer and make things worse. But do see if steroids could help, they are used for some types of esophagitis.

Thank you for that suggestion. Is that normally in the form of shots or pills?

Do you take Nexium? If not, ask for it!!! It is the only PPI that helps heal your esophogus while treating the acid erosion.

I have taken it for years and it is a wonderful, well tolerated drug.

GOOD LUCK!!

kelly :mellow:

Just curious, has anyone ever used Fluticasone propionate (Flovent)?

I was reading up on the use of steroidal treatments for Esophogitus and this looks quite promising. Just curious if anyone has ever used this treatment.

Here are a couple of links that describe it more.

http://www.medicinenet.com/eosinophilic_esophagitis/page4.htm

http://www.eosinophilicesophagitishome.org/treatment/EE-treatment-swallowed-inhaled-steroids.shtml

Thanks, no, they have me on something called Lansprazole. It's a delayed release orally disintegrating tablet. It worked almost from the first day at controlling the acid reflux. I have another EGD scheduled for May 4th. I'm wishing though I could go out and get this inhaler type of steroid now based on what I am reading of how quickly it can heal things. Going to be calling Monday and see if I can get my PCP to get me a prescription for this.

Do you take Nexium? If not, ask for it!!! It is the only PPI that helps heal your esophogus while treating the acid erosion.

I have taken it for years and it is a wonderful, well tolerated drug.

GOOD LUCK!!

kelly :mellow:

I was reading up on the use of steroidal treatments for Esophogitus and this looks quite promising. Just curious if anyone has ever used this treatment.

http://www.medicinen...gitis/page4.htm

http://www.eosinophi...-steroids.shtml

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of (couldn't recall the name at the moment). It's the same thing they use for asthma, except for you swallow it rather than inhale. But there are some potential complications, e.g. esophageal thrush, so it'll be up to your doctor to decide whether it's the right treatment for you.

That is a bit scary. Just did a google search on that and it said:

Esophageal thrush, also called Candida esophagitis, is a fungal infection of the esophagus. This infection characteristically occurs in people with a weakened immune system, including persons with leukemia or lymphoma, those receiving chemotherapy or immunosuppressive drugs, and people infected with HIV.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/124290-esophageal-thrush-symptoms/

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/124290-esophageal-thrush-symptoms/#ixzz1KJ9eMrbN

I guess I will discuss it with my Dr. and see what he says, but boy it would be great if this would resolve the issue for me to have my surgery. I could then go back to the PPI if needed to maintain the healing.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of (couldn't recall the name at the moment). It's the same thing they use for asthma, except for you swallow it rather than inhale. But there are some potential complications, e.g. esophageal thrush, so it'll be up to your doctor to decide whether it's the right treatment for you.

Well, I have had an unexpected set of events this week. I finally broke through the "office" barrier and got to speak to the surgeon Monday about the issues he has with my Esophogitus. When I explained to him that my symptoms stopped within 24 hrs of starting the PPI treatment, he was surprised but happy to hear this. I explained that I have another EGD scheduled for 5/4/11, but that I was concerned with the amount of time it could take for it to completely heal. He didn't think it would take as long as I had been told. Nonetheless, he said that if I showed improvement at the next EGD that he was willing to go ahead with my surgery. THANK GOD!!!

So, next Wednesday I will have my EGD- praying for positive results. So, then I called their office today to talk about possible surgery dates so I could start planning things at home. Come to find out the surgeon is going on vacation the first part of June and since I will be traveling out of state, and need to see him a week after the surgery before going home, I can't have the surgery just before he goes on vacation in case there is a problem (error on the side of caution).

Sooooo.... EGD 5/4/11, hope I get my results back within a couple of days because on 5/10, I am scheduled to get my EKG and bloodwork done. If that all goes fine (it should), then 5/12/11 I will start the liquid diet, go down to see the surgeon on 5/18/11 and surgery 5/19/11.

All this is resting on on the results of the EGD!!! Say a prayer for me!

http://www.medicinenet.com/eosinophilic_esophagitis/page4.htm

http://www.eosinophilicesophagitishome.org/treatment/EE-treatment-swallowed-inhaled-steroids.shtml

I use it, it's a nasal spray that I use for my sinus problems. I have not used as you say for your issue.It is a RX so you would need your dr to prescribe it.

I use it, it's a nasal spray that I use for my sinus problems. I have not used as you say for your issue.It is a RX so you would need your dr to prescribe it.

I called my PCP earlier this week and he said Flovent wouldn't do anything for my condition, that I had a different issue with my Esophogus- so he said just to keep taking the PPI's. So, I have.

I also had esophagitis when they did the endoscopy. My surgeon put me on omeprazole and it cleared up quickly. I had surgery a couple months later with no problems. Hope all goes well with your doc. appt and it is all cleared up. :)

I also had esophagitis when they did the endoscopy. My surgeon put me on omeprazole and it cleared up quickly. I had surgery a couple months later with no problems. Hope all goes well with your doc. appt and it is all cleared up. :)

Thanks, I will keep this in mind for Wednesday if things don't go as I hope and suggest it to the GI Dr. Was it a pill or dissolvable tablet?

It was a dissolvable tablet that I take twice a day. I actually still have to take it- at least until my appointment next week.

I've also read that some people believe it helps them be less hungry- that when they stop taking it they actually have slight hunger pains. hmmm- hope not!

Thanks, I will keep this in mind for Wednesday if things don't go as I hope and suggest it to the GI Dr. Was it a pill or dissolvable tablet?

Omeprazole (AKA Losec) is a PPI. You are already on a PPI and it is working so no need to change.