Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, New user from CT

Hello All,

My name is Ian and I'm new to the forum. I like so many on here have battled my weight problem since childhood. I am 29 years old and currently 5'10" and 344lbs. I recently started the sleeve process, and have a meeting with a local surgeon in the beginning of May. I am very excited to begin this life long change to be healthy and happy. I have never attempted a liquid only diet, and so far, that seems like my biggest point of concern at the moment. While my insurance company requires a 6 month lead up to surgery approval, the surgeon I'm going to see seems pretty lax, and others whom have used him seem to be about 2 months from initial appointment to surgery date. I hope to get to know some of you and join you all in the sleeve journey.

Welcome to VST! This has been a very informative site for me. I think the wonderful members here (although not doctors) can help more than the doctors in a lot of areas. We are at varying stages of living with VSG. I am only 15 days post op but have been reading posts on here for awhile. If you have questions ask them. We are all here for help or to offer help to others.

Hello All,

My name is Ian and I'm new to the forum. I like so many on here have battled my weight problem since childhood. I am 29 years old and currently 5'10" and 344lbs. I recently started the sleeve process, and have a meeting with a local surgeon in the beginning of May. I am very excited to begin this life long change to be healthy and happy. I have never attempted a liquid only diet, and so far, that seems like my biggest point of concern at the moment. While my insurance company requires a 6 month lead up to surgery approval, the surgeon I'm going to see seems pretty lax, and others whom have used him seem to be about 2 months from initial appointment to surgery date. I hope to get to know some of you and join you all in the sleeve journey.

Congratulations on taking one of the most important decisions you will ever make. It is truly courageous to take that first step. I invite you to be proactive and to take advantage of all of the wonderful people that make up this community. It is a great support group that will reach out to you at those moments you most need.

Some people say that patients like yourself take the easy way out...I deal with patients like you on a daily basis, and let me tell you: It is NOT easy.

Any medically related question, or anything in general you want to ask, don't hesitate. Again...congrats!

Best,

Dr. JSA

Hello All,

Welcome! This is a great place for support and an amazing amount of knowledge. My surgery is May 9th- coming up fast! The two weekspre-op liquid diet probably daunts me the most since there will be no sleeve limiting my appetite!

Don't be upset if your insurance company rules when it comes to the six months- many of them are pretty adamant about that. It helps if you can show medical supervision of a diet up to this point. Start logging all your food in a web based food log that you can show your doctor.

Keep us posted on your journey! Or even do a You Tube log! I have watched so many of those- and am doing one too to pay it forward.

hello.

Well i attended the group informational session required and had my first appointment with my surgeon. Everything went fine, the office feels I am a very strong candidate for the surgery. The nurse practitioner seemed to really be trying to push me towards RNY, not really sure why, just that there was a likely hood of faster weight loss. They are telling me I have to have a sleep study done to check for sleep apnea, and see a cardiologist for stress tests. I have my two meetings set up with a nutritionist and a date to try and get all my appoints completed by. Currently what concerns me most is cost. I was of the opinion that the sleeve was between the RNY and the band with regards to price, but at the informational session they stated that both the Sleeve, and the RNY were the same, and about $27,000. My insurance has a cap of $25,000 that they will pay for this surgery, and questions regarding price were not well received at my appointment. I really dislike the open endedness with regards to surgery price. While shelling out of pocket for a portion of the surgery isn't an impossibility, at the same time, I feel like I could shop to get it covered 100%. I'm getting married in a year, so between saving for that, and getting hammered with gas prices at 4.25 a gallon, paying out of pocket does seem wise. I like the surgeon I've chosen, and he is a big advocate of the sleeve, just not sure if i really want to continue with this surgical group. What do you guys think?

hello.

Well i attended the group informational session required and had my first appointment with my surgeon. Everything went fine, the office feels I am a very strong candidate for the surgery. The nurse practitioner seemed to really be trying to push me towards RNY, not really sure why, just that there was a likely hood of faster weight loss. They are telling me I have to have a sleep study done to check for sleep apnea, and see a cardiologist for stress tests. I have my two meetings set up with a nutritionist and a date to try and get all my appoints completed by. Currently what concerns me most is cost. I was of the opinion that the sleeve was between the RNY and the band with regards to price, but at the informational session they stated that both the Sleeve, and the RNY were the same, and about $27,000. My insurance has a cap of $25,000 that they will pay for this surgery, and questions regarding price were not well received at my appointment. I really dislike the open endedness with regards to surgery price. While shelling out of pocket for a portion of the surgery isn't an impossibility, at the same time, I feel like I could shop to get it covered 100%. I'm getting married in a year, so between saving for that, and getting hammered with gas prices at 4.25 a gallon, paying out of pocket does seem wise. I like the surgeon I've chosen, and he is a big advocate of the sleeve, just not sure if i really want to continue with this surgical group. What do you guys think?

I would not let them steer you to the RNY ....I think the SLeeve is the WLS of the future and will become by far the most popular.

Perhaps you can explain to your doctor you do not have much for the copay and see if they will settle for the 25k from the insurance. It never hurts to ask.

However I have to say from everything I have seen here and on You Tube, if you do have to pay out it will be a wonderful investment in your future! Also, from what I have seen there are some great doctors in the US who charge way less than $25ooo.

Hi, Welcome!!!

Its a bit of a scary decision I think to have WLS and this place has been great. I don't get on here as much as I would like but the support is amazing!!! when your a little down there is endless support here. its fantastic. Like having a giant family.. which im not used to!! :D

I had a sleeve done 9 1/2 weeks ago and can I just say that besides my husband and my 4 y/o this would be the best thing Ive ever done. I feel fantastic. Just think if you are going down the same road in 6 - 12 months time you will be amazed at what you see in the mirror... I can't stop looking at myself!! investigate the sleeve and push for it, because its awesome.. its not easy but the results are great... but each to there own, but research research research and definately get second and third opinions!!!

good luck!!

Holly from Oz

Hello All..

As I'm still reading the overflowing amount of valuable information that this board provides I thought I would pose a question as it's something I'm curious about. One of my biggest food issues is that I am a volume eater, and I eat fast. I feel hunger and I eat until I'm satisfied (although usually healthy fare, it's the volume that kills me). I snack little, and often don't get in three meals a day but instead 2 large meals.

My Question: How has the VSG changed your appetite (hunger) pre and post op? I know that you cannot physically fit much food in, but even so, is there a lingering hunger that exists still?

Welp, just returned home from my sleep Study... What a pain in the @$$... Not only was the guy rude and annoying, but then wouldn't even discuss the results with me. Anyway another thing on the list done.

DONE:

Info session

initial surgeon meeting

Nutritionist #1

Group Support Session #1

sleep Study

TO DO:

Cardiologist

Psyche

Blood work

Nutritionist #2

Group Support Session #2

So I guess I'm about halfway there, although the sleep study being done is a big relief!

I have a date!!!! It's been 7 long months going through all the testing and appointments. The problem here is that the surgeon is not happy with me.. I went in for my Pre-op appointment on Tuesday, and I had gained 20lbs since my last visit several months ago. i was told from the beginning that I didn't have to lose a certain amount of weight prior, and I don't know what happened, I certainly wasn't trying to lose, instead I was looking at it as my last chance to do whatever i please. My surgeon was pissed, and told me he wouldn't do it until I lost the 20 lbs.. he put me on a 14 day pre-op diet as opposed to the normal 10, and said I will now pay for my "partying" . The b***h is I asked prior to making a decision of what I'd do and was told the opposite. I do however have a date, so I will buckle down and make it happen, cause now it's real.. before it was waiting. Nov. 15th here we come.

Hi Ian! So glad you finally got a date! I have my first consultation with my doctor this Wednesday. I am going through Dr. Macaron in Middlebury. Keep us updated - I haven't met many CT people on here! :)

I am in Westchester (NY) and had my VSG with Dr. Roslin - Northern Westchester Hospital. Perhaps you want to give their office a call and see if they can assist? I was very very happy with my surgery and w/Dr. Roslin (had VSG on 9/24).

regards, RG

hello.