Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Complications Summary

Hi all,

The complications data in the Inamed patient booklet are reported in order of frequency. I find it hard to make sense of them that way, because I tend to think chronologically. Here is my attempt to organize the information into operative and postoperative phases. I apologize if you have trouble comparing the percentages. I originally set this up as a table, but none of that format transferred to this post.

The most amazing information is that 88% OF PATIENTS HAVE COMPLICATIONS.

Does this mean we shouldn't have weight loss surgery? Well, no. You have to remember to compare information on complications to the known risks of continuing morbid obesity. Does this mean we shouldn't have Lap-Band surgery? That one's trickier to answer. You need to compare effectiveness, complications, cost etc. of the various surgeries to find the answer that's right for you.

If you're considering Lap-Band surgery, it's important to be aware of the overall complication rate, as well as those of the types of complications. You may well decide to get the Lap-Band (I have), but you'll be better prepared for complications, knowing that you may well encounter them during your recovery.

NancyRN

P.S. I have posted this data in the FAQ section also.

From US clinical study of 239 patients 3 years after surgery (Citation? Date?)

As reported in, “A Surgical Aid in the Treatment of Morbid Obesity:

Lap-Band System Information for Patients” (Inamed booklet)

(Note: the following complications are not mutually exclusive, that is, patients could have more than one)

Problem/ Percentage

Overall Complication Rate: 88%

During surgery:

Death 0%

Gastric perforation 1%

After surgery:

Major complications:

Band slippage or pouch dilatation 24%

Stoma obstruction 14%

Poor esophageal function 11%

Erosion 1.3%

Side effects:

Nausea & vomiting 51%

Gastroesophageal reflux 34%

Constipation, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing 9%

Other 1 %

Second surgery: 18%

Band problems 9%

Stoma problems 9%

Band removal: 25%

By choice 9%

Due to adverse event(s) 16%

By laparoscopy 60%

By open procedure 40%

First question. Does this refer to stats after "Band Removal"

By laparoscopy 60%

By open procedure 40%

This last stat just sort of floats there with little explanation at the end of the article.

Plus a complication rate of 88% sounds really high until you read further and see that it includes a statistic referring to 51% experiencing nausea and vomiting.

Um, duh!

Yeah, with Weight Loss Surgery of any sort, nausea and vomiting can be an after-effect. It may not mean bringing up your entire lunch, but it could well mean that "almost like nausea" feeling after you eat that one bite or two bites more than you should have.

Gee, what is the "nausea and vomiting" rate for RnY or Bypass patients? I'm sure it's even higher.

Besides, the only statistic that matters, in my opinion is:

During surgery:

Death 0%

Gastric perforation 1%

What years were the 3 yr study in? Haven't they made advances in placement etc?.....This is only my personal opinion but from reading all the posts the people who seem to get into trouble may have the band too tight too long????? I am a newbie only 2 weeks out but it seems to go together.......maybe a good post for Dr C to read

Yeah, this is old data.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

What years were the 3 yr study in? Haven't they made advances in placement etc?.....This is only my personal opinion but from reading all the posts the people who seem to get into trouble may have the band too tight too long????? I am a newbie only 2 weeks out but it seems to go together.......maybe a good post for Dr C to read

If you're considering Lap-Band surgery, it's important to be aware of the overall complication rate, as well as those of the types of complications. You may well decide to get the Lap-Band (I have), but you'll be better prepared for complications, knowing that you may well encounter them during your recovery.

I agree with this point. For myself, if I'm prepared for what could go wrong, I can handle it much better. Of course, I want to believe that I'll be one of those who just sail through it all!

Dr C. if this is old data, what is the complication rate? I know the complication rate for people who are obese is almost 100%, being that eventually we all end up with some comorbidity. To me the band is a better way of life. And I agree...with nausea and vomiting there in the statistics it really inflates the number.

I was thinking the same thing. 88% complication rate with 50% nausea and vomiting. I think we all expect some degree of nausea +/- vomiting (pb'ing). Sounds awfully inflated to me.

I've got a good article at my other office about complication rates of band, RNY, and DS. I'll try to remember to scan it and post it. If you don't see it in the next 24 hours remind me!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr C. if this is old data, what is the complication rate? I know the complication rate for people who are obese is almost 100%, being that eventually we all end up with some comorbidity. To me the band is a better way of life. And I agree...with nausea and vomiting there in the statistics it really inflates the number.

I think it's so amazing that Dr. C will take the time to answer questions and give information to people who aren't even his patients or from whom he won't derive any business. What a nice guy!

Emily

Dr. C,

I'm really looking forward to seeing the article you mentioned on complication rates. Thanks so much for caring and being on this forum -- your involvement is a gift to us.

NancyRN

Yes, that slippage rate looks really high with the newer surgery methods. Looking forward to Dr. C's data, as the data I saw at my surgeon's office was 2% slippage, 2% erosion.

"Stoma blockage" -- don't we all get blocked at some point? I'd think that's one of the causes of PB'ing. You swallow a big ol hunk of food and then it gets stuck. Or do you think they only mean folks who really get something stuck and require invasive intervention to get it removed?

Constipation/Diarrhea is common for a short time whenever eating habits change drastically.