Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had to have an upper endoscopy done yesterday because i have GERD and have for several years. My surgeon wanted to make sure that everything was ok before he operates on me. The gastro dr. found a LARGE hiatial hernia and mild stomach inflamation!! He also took a biopsy...is that normal to take a biopsy? I am worried that something is wrong and that is why he did it!!

Do you think that my Dr. will still operate? I am a nervous wreck!

Kelly

It is routine to take a biopsy. They took one on me. I think it is to test for H. Pylori. I did not have it, but if you did they want you on medicine prior to surgery. It is a condition that might indicate that your stomach could be prone to ulcers. If I remembered my facts correctly.

I had the Pylori test done by blood. Maybe they do it this way too??? IDK, i am just really freaked out and the GI dr. ordered me to take the Fluoroscopy too, I just don't know why they need to do more x-rays and stuff if there isn't something wrong!

UGHHH!

Kelly

I had to do all those tests and they also did a biopsy -- I think it's pretty standard. If you don't already know this, it's a good medical fact to remember: If they get inside you or chop anything off you ever, anywhere, they will biopsy it. That's just what they do lol.

ETA: Hiatal hernia is VERY common, I've heard like 80%+ of WLS patients have them (and they are repaired during the WLS).

I am not sure about the biopsy, but the hiatal hernia is common. Up to 85% of obese people have one and drs can usually repair at the same time they do the sleeve. I don't think it should prevent you from getting sleeved.

I had to have an EGD done as well for GERD and they found some inflammation and a hiatal hernia as well. They also took a biopsie. My results ended up being ok. The surgeon said that when he goes in to do the weight loss surgery he'll get a better idea of how bid the hernia is and if looks like it should be fixed he'll just do it at the same time since he's already in there. He did put me on Prilosec because I was taking zantac for years and that was on March 11 and I have not had ANY heartburn or reflux since that! Pretty cool! Don't worry too much! Sounds like pretty normal stuff! Good luck with everything!

Thanks everyone! I guess I am just more concerned about the Fluoroscopy and why it was ordered. That freaks me out. If they know i have a hernia, why more tests? It just makes me think that there is something more they are not telling me!

I just worry too much and make myself sick most times over nothing! I just emailed my surgeon and hopefully he will put me at ease!

Kelly

:huh:

I think Fluoroscopy is the same as the barium swallow/x-ray thingy test. I had to do that one, it's pretty standard. Many WLS patients have had it. They do it post-op as well, to look for leaks. It's no big deal aside from the yukky stuff you have to swallow...

ETA: And yes, I had the upper GI as well. Also pretty standard.

They found the same things on my upper endoscopy- a hiatal hernia and stomach inflammation which they biopsied. It didn't change anything with my surgery except that he fixed the hernia. I am happy with no complications five weeks out. Good luck! :)

Amanda

Just be thankful that your surgeon is taking precautions. You dont want to go in not knowing all the possible complications, road blocks. And at least now he can go in and plan on fixing the hiatal hernia.

During my surgery, he repaired hiatal hernia and removed my gallbladder due to evidence of chronic inflammation.

You will do great. Congratulations on your upcoming journey!:rolleyes:

I had to have an upper endoscopy done yesterday because i have GERD and have for several years. My surgeon wanted to make sure that everything was ok before he operates on me. The gastro dr. found a LARGE hiatial hernia and mild stomach inflamation!! He also took a biopsy...is that normal to take a biopsy? I am worried that something is wrong and that is why he did it!!

Do you think that my Dr. will still operate? I am a nervous wreck!

Kelly

Hi Kelly...When I had my EGD, my doc also did a biopsy, because he said that I had an "inflammation" at the base of my esophagus. He just wanted to make sure that everything was ok. It turned out to be something called Barrett's esphagous. I was sleeved on 4/4, and at that time, my doc said that it's nothing serious, but I do have to keep an eye on it, and that I would need to have an EGD each year for the rest of my life.

And like the other posters, most of the population has a hiatel hernia, so try not to be overly concerned.

I hope this helps.

Annette

I am super thankful that my Dr. is so cautious. That is one of the reasons that I love him!! He would never operate on me if it weren't safe and I know that!!

He did email me back yesterday and put my worries to rest. He told me that the GI dr. is doing the upper g.i. just as a precaution and I shouldn't be worried that there is something wrong with me. It is more for "real time" images for my surgeon to see so when he operates, he will know how my esophagus is working!

He said that the GI dr. also noted in my file that the surgery that is scheduled for May 9th can continue.

He made me feel a lot better and I am thankful that I emailed him.

The radiology dept. called this afternoon to schedule the fluoroscopy for April 26th. YAY!! That will be the last test.

I am so happy. Thanks for all of your answers!

Kelly :P