Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60 Days post-op, just getting to know the sleeve ..

I did throw up the other day and I haven't for at least a year. It was because I

ate too much. It takes awhile for my brain to catch up and 20 min later, I am more full than I was at the table. It would have stayed down, but it would have been very uncomfortable waiting it out.

See this is a good point, and is sort of related to what Dudeman said. Even though he felt sick and wanted to throw up, he forced himself not to, whereas you opted for the relief factor -- both of which seem like reasonable options to me.

I think I can relate to these because I have felt quite uncomfortable after eating sometimes here and there, but I just won't allow myself to throw up because I want those calories lol. I have waited it out and it can sure take a while... :blink:

This is an interesting thread! I was headed down the band path when I first decided on WLS, and when I started learning about all the sliming, and PBing (productive burping...the band catch phrase for vomiting b/c they say it's not like 'normal' vomiting) I decided that the band was not for me. I *hate* to have food come up the wrong direction...I always have. So after researching and learning about the sleeve I decided there was less of a chance for food coming back up.

I personally have not thrown up in any way at all since being sleeved (that includes the normally-vomit-inducing anethesia...I was given a patch behind my ear to reduce the risk...yay.) I did have one incident involving homemade mini-turkey meatballs when I planned on eating 4 and actually ate 5 and I *thought* I was going to have them all come back up but the feeling passed after about 20 minutes. It was uncomfortable, but I was relieved that my sleeve kept everything down. I think I was about 8 weeks out at that point.

I just wanted to say that everyone is different and I'm glad we can all come here and share our experiences. I guess no one really knows how their new sleeve will handle a variety of food until you try it. If I was personally having an issue with vomiting often, I think I would probably make a chart of the type of food, how much, and when and also the drink is an interesting angle too, so I would probably chart that in there too, how much liquid, and how close to food I'm drinking, etc. and try to figure out ways to eliminate the vomit. But that is just me, because I *hate* to have things come back up. So I'm sure I would get anal about making sure it doesn't happen.

Thanks for all your posts and comments, and hope more people find this thread interesting.

A good point was brought up .. vomiting COULD be related to eating speed and not chewing enough.

Although we all have been briefed on how to eat post-op, and I do make a conscience effort into chewing thuroughly,

I probably most likely don't always chew ample before swallowing, so it is worth it to discuss this, and may be

put more efforts into developing new technical skill. Perhaps even putting a cooking timer on the table when

eating to make certain of the chewing time and in between swallows.

But like the title of the thread -- it's all about getting to know the sleeve and make the proper adjustments, so

we can all have quality of life post-op. To be honest, although I am enjoying the weight-loss, I have noticed

that my relationship with food has changed substantially. And not always for the better. Not over-eating or

gaining weight, being more healthy is the purpose. I must admit -- a lot of the previous enjoyment of food

items .. has gone away. Case in point -- we used to enjoy a single slice of pizza after-school. Now only

my daughter enjoys that ... I can't and I don't. I have ordered slices along with her -- I just can't keep it

down, regardless of how many time I chewed and how long I waited before swallowing bites. It is the

type of food, I have noticed, that post-op -- I CAN'T enjoy anymore. And I miss that, to be honest, and

do count it as a degradation of quality of my life.

For those who were wondering -- I've got a surprise for ya .. I am American! LOL! I was born in Taiwan

but immigrated to CA when I was just 12 years old and spent most of my adult life there .. plus 2 years

in Hawaii. So, F-150's .. I know about them. I used to drive my own 4x4 pick-up in CA.

Please keep your comments going. Like to hear more about how people deal with their sleeves when

things get dicey after eating ..

Cheers~!

BTW -- I didn't force myself not to throw up .. just that it was not possible to even pull over as the roads in Hong Kong, most of them don't even have shoulders. So, happenstance forced me not to throw up. Had I been near a toilet .. I woulda done it just to relieve the discomfort. But having being forced not to throw up -- I know it can be done now. But also I should mention -- not throwing up was definitely NOT an option at less than 60 days post-op -- it is only a recent development that I have noticed I can successfully fight the urge to. Hopefully -- it gets gradually better as time progresses, where perhaps at 6 month or 1 year post-op -- these issues are no longer issues. That's what I'm hoping for anyways. ;)

Also, I don't know what size Bugle, Bogey, whatever you call those skewers they poked into your body to hold up the rest of your internal organs before they go in Laroscopically, but I have only TWO (02) scar holes to the right and left of my navel .. I just know as I was told point blank by my doctor, and he had a model of a sleeve on his desk that shows his sleeves to be about the size of a flash light hold 2 x DD batteries. Not very big .. 100 grams, or the equivalent of a typical Chinese rice bowl is all I can eat at any one sitting.

How about your guys .. can someone do a metric conversion on 100 grams to ounces .. I wanna say that's less than 4 Oz. -- the capacity of my particular sleeve.

Thanks for all your posts and comments, and hope more people find this thread interesting.

A good point was brought up .. vomiting COULD be related to eating speed and not chewing enough.

Although we all have been briefed on how to eat post-op, and I do make a conscience effort into chewing thuroughly,

I probably most likely don't always chew ample before swallowing, so it is worth it to discuss this, and may be

put more efforts into developing new technical skill. Perhaps even putting a cooking timer on the table when

eating to make certain of the chewing time and in between swallows.

But like the title of the thread -- it's all about getting to know the sleeve and make the proper adjustments, so

we can all have quality of life post-op. To be honest, although I am enjoying the weight-loss, I have noticed

that my relationship with food has changed substantially. And not always for the better. Not over-eating or

gaining weight, being more healthy is the purpose. I must admit -- a lot of the previous enjoyment of food

items .. has gone away. Case in point -- we used to enjoy a single slice of pizza after-school. Now only

my daughter enjoys that ... I can't and I don't. I have ordered slices along with her -- I just can't keep it

down, regardless of how many time I chewed and how long I waited before swallowing bites. It is the

type of food, I have noticed, that post-op -- I CAN'T enjoy anymore. And I miss that, to be honest, and

do count it as a degradation of quality of my life.

For those who were wondering -- I've got a surprise for ya .. I am American! LOL! I was born in Taiwan

but immigrated to CA when I was just 12 years old and spent most of my adult life there .. plus 2 years

in Hawaii. So, F-150's .. I know about them. I used to drive my own 4x4 pick-up in CA.

Please keep your comments going. Like to hear more about how people deal with their sleeves when

things get dicey after eating ..

Cheers~!

That is really cool about all the places you have lived. I have a small farm where I keep my horses and drive an F350 dual cab to pull the horses around- but I don't drive that vehicle for much else w/the price of fuel.

Congrats on the weight loss....Keep it up.

You mentioned earlier that you have lost a lot of weight rapidly. How much skin sagging has this lead to?