Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone I just joined!

Hey Neenagh,

You and I have really similar current weight and goal weight. I too, lose weight very easily (and gain it back in an instant):phanvan

I'm getting banded next week...so maybe you'll be able to see what sort of results you might be able to expect...(to each her own of course, but in general)

How's the research into TLBC vs Cobourn going? Are you swaying one way or the other yet? :gluck:

Either way, you're in good hands...plus you have us! And what beats that?! lol:grouphug:

Sunshine

Hi Canada sunshine, sorry about the delay in replying, I just noticed your post now. I called and made an appt with Mumford ( he works with Cobourn) and I'm going to see him on thursday! Thanks for your encouraging words, It was love at first post with everyone here at lapbandtalk, everyone is so supportive and kind!

P.S. i'm the same height as you too!

Hello everyone,

I'm also thinking of having this surgery but not for the cost...$16,000 in addition to all other extras...ouch!

I looked on the web and it seems there are only 2 clinics in the T.O. area. Since I'm 5 hours away, do you know if there are any other clinics/hospitals perfoming this procedure in the Ottawa or Montreal area?

Many thanks,

aeropink

welcome aeropink, I can't help you with dr's in your area. But Dr. Cobourn in mississauga charges $15,000.00 with no extra's except for the opti-fast diet for a couple weeks prior to surgery(around $200.00).:eek:

OMG..sorry aeropink I mislead you. Wow, I guess I made it just under the wire.

Hi Cloe, I sure did, Aug 31st! I just posted a new thread if you want to read my semi hysterical ramblings on my consult, heehee

Wow... it's up to $16,000? What a rip! LOL, just kidding.

aeorpink: I really don't think there are any other options in that area.... I know there IS a Dr. Christou in Montreal. His website makes it sounds kinda like he might do the lapband, but I really don't know. www.weightlosssurgery.ca

I don't think I've ever heard of people getting the band with him.

I said this to someone else before... that being 5 hours from either clinic is nothing. I came from Saskatchewan for it, and I know others from BC. I'd kill to be 5 hours away!

:eek:

EDIT: Just found this on that website:

The current public wait list for bariatric surgery at the McGill University Health Center (MUHC) is over 1,200 patients. It can take up to 5-7 years from the time a patient contacts our office to their surgery date. Due to this backlog we have been asked by the authorities to give priority to Quebec patients and not accept out of province patients for surgery at the MUHC within the Quebec public health care system.

In order to help our non Quebec patients we have equipped an affiliated private hospital here in Montreal where we can offer the laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and the laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding Device to out of province patients who qualify (weight less then 350 lbs with minimal co-morbidity).. There is no wait for the surgery at this facility. The costs range from C$15,000 to C$18,000 depending on the options.

Still though... not sure why I've never heard from Christou patients.

Hey Nee

I have been banded now a week.:clap2: I haven't had much pain and i lost alittle too. Hope you find a surgoen. I paid privately in the UK. :phanvan The NHS would not do it for me. Be strong, wish you all the best.

Hugs LANA:girl_hug:

I was banded in May of this year, and you are so right. TLBC was so great to me and don't regret my decision. The very fact that all included was a big factor for me too. Love the results and plan to be more involved with others struggling with their wieght. Good support is so important. Like yourself I too live north east of Toronto and find the travel not that bad. if you wish you may email me directly at mmschaffer51@hotmail.com I live in a small village type near Bowmanville. Have no car and I just moved to this area last year. hope to hear from you - take care

I was banded in May of this year, and you are so right. TLBC was so great to me and don't regret my decision. The very fact that all included was a big factor for me too. Love the results and plan to be more involved with others struggling with their wieght. Good support is so important. Like yourself I too live north east of Toronto and find the travel not that bad. if you wish you may email me directly at mmschaffer51@hotmail.com I live in a small village type near Bowmanville. Have no car and I just moved to this area last year. hope to hear from you - take care

Hi mmschaffer, I am going with Dr. Mumford. I love hearing from pple who are happy with their decision, it really encourages me that I'm making the right decision. I live south of Toronto, tho, near Windsor. I broke down and told my sister who lives in Mississauga about the surg. so I'm going to stay with her for a couple days, which makes the whole thing a bunch easier, especially on the dh!:)

Happy to hear from you. You will be so pleased to the results. You'll be a bit sore for the first day only. After that, it's easier each hour. I live in a remote part in the country and feel that I'm totally alone. The ONLY person that knows that I've done this surgery is my husband. I'm not comfortable with anyone else knowing. If you like perhaps you can email me on my personal email address so that if you have any questions - please feel free to contact me. mmschaffer51@hotmail.comso until then take care = healthy - Mary