Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI! My name is Lisa and I work for a weight loss surgery center. My husband just had the sleeve done 3 days ago and he is having a hard time. That's how found you guys and this helpful website. We had only a week to prepare for the actual surgery!! That in itself was trying. After surgery he experience severe nausea and alot of pain in his chest or esophagus. I can't get him to drink or attempt to "eat" anything hardly at all. I am really concerned, but hoping I am just overly concerned.

I was on a drip until 3 days post op as I was having a lot of difficulty getting anything down too. I felt A LOT better on day 4 though and I've ready a few people on here say the same thing. His stomach's really swollen and maybe he'd benefit from ice chips, I know they tasted like heaven to me in the first few days.

Lisa - I was sleeved on a Monday and that Thursday was HANDS DOWN one of the worst days of my life. I didn't want ANYTHING! I did gasX strips for the gas pain and just tried to sip Water and forgot about broth, etc. By that Friday, I was 1000 times better. After finally getting to full liquids (that Sunday) I was like my old self because I could finally get some Protein in. I also stopped taking my pain meds b/c they were making my nausea unbearable. I think it's b/c my stomach was so empty. I found that most of my pain was from gas and not as much incision related.

One other thing, I started taking my PPI at night right before bed. I was waking up with a TON of acid after sleeping and not eating for 10 hours and the medicine wearing off. If I take it at night, the time that it is wearing off is in the early evening and I'm up and moving and the acid doesn't effect me so much.

These are just my experiences. Wish you guys the best of luck with his recovery!!!!

Lisa - does your husband show signs of dehydration? These symptoms sound pretty typical of a few days out, but he HAS to get in liquids. Protein is great, but I was told that liquids were my main priority the first week especially.

If he is dehydrated, get him to an ER or Outpatient Clinic ASAP. They can deliver fluids via IV which should help perk him up immediately. (Or call one of your docs where you work & see if they can administer.) If he is dehydrated, he'll only want to lie around & not try. You'll need to be the pushy wife and force him to take care of himself.

If you don't think he is dehydrated yet, call his surgeon and discuss your concerns. I'm sure they will have some advice for you.

Good luck and keep us updated.