Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I got my date, May 9th!! YAY. However, when I was in the dr.'s office they had me fill out my admitting paperwork so that when I show up to the hospital, I wont have to do it. On the back, they wanted my insurance info, now, Kaiser is it's own insurance and for those of you that don't know, they have their own everything. Dr.'s, nurses, hospitals, EVERYTHING. If you have Kaiser, you can only go to a Kaiser facility!

They wanted to know who my insurance was through and what their phone number was. Well, it is my work, but shouldn't they know that? It is Kaiser for peets sake...they are their own insurance!!!!

My question is this. I know that there are strict laws and HIPPA and stuff, but they are not going to call my work are they? I mean, I have told NOBODY that I work with about this!! And I would be devistated if they found out! The only person that knows is my husband at this point.

I am really freaking out that they are going to call my work for some reason, but then again, I don't think that they can. Someone please tell me that they can't!! But, I don't know why they would ask for that information when they should know it, I guess I am just being paranoid because I am so afraid that my work is going to find out, only because some of the women I work with are such, well, you get the idea!

Kelly

Kelly, They absolutely, positively are not supposed to talk to anyone without your written approval! But.... mistakes DO happen so if you are worried I'd give the doctor's office a call and tell them that you DO NOT want your work called under any condition. Tell them you will be the go-between if they have any questions that need to be answered. You will feel better if you make that clear to them. Speak to someone in the business office at your doctor's office (or your patient coordinator if you have one yet) and ask them to put a note in your chart to that effect. Good luck!

My surgeon's office had me fill out a form about where they can or can't call and also leave a message. I only want messages given to me or left on my cell voicemail. Like you- I don't want them to call my work! It is definitely not ok for them to do so if you do not approve. I would ask if they have a form like- so it is in written documentation and soemthing they can refer to when calling you.

Well, on the form, they asked for my work name, address, phone #. I gave it to them, but gave them my direct line phone number! If they call, they will call me. I hope that they do not call, but if they do, they are going to call me!

I know that they can always get the phone number to the office if they wanted it, but I think maybe they just want the information if there is a problem. I don't know.!!!

I have to attend a nutrition class next week and my case manager will be there. I am going to ask her then why I had to fill the form out and my concerns about them contacting my work. I am sure that they will not and can not, I think I am just being paranoid because I fell as if I would just die if they found out!

Thanks to both of you for your answers!

Kelly

If you are getting your surgery through Kaiser then they have probably referred you to an outside surgeon. They outsource certain specialties.

You do need to bring your Kaiser info so they know where to bill you, but as long as Kaiser is giving the green light, there should be no need for them to do any other verification. They just want to get paid :-)

But, call the doctor and ask. Better to ease your concerns. Make sure you mention HIPPA as well - that will get their attention.

Good luck-

Lara

i am not using an outside surgeon. I AM using their dr. at their facitliy. That is why I thought it was weird that they would ask for that information when they are their own everthing!

Some people do use an outside facility when it is a cheaper option for them, maybe that is why? I, however, do not have to pay for my surgery. I don't know! It was the admitting paperwork for the hospital, so i don't have to do it when i show up to have the surgery.

I will just ask next week when I go for the nutrition class. Certainally they will know!

Thanks,

Kelly :D