Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now I'm having second thoughts....

I just got my surgery date (July 31st) and I'm having second thoughts. I've never been married but I can imagine it might be the same kind of second thoughts and nervousness. I'm sure this is normal and many of you experienced the same thing. Words of encouragement please.

I am not banded myself, but want to be... I know it will change your life... as it has changed many others. I think most people are nervous, but just remember why you want the band, and how it will be a tool for you to be the person you want to be!!!!! Good Luck!

Yeah what she said! hehehe. I'm scheduled for Aug 3rd and am a tiny bit nervous but I know once it's all over with I'll be SOOO happy I did it and it's DONE!

You will too. Keep in touch and we'll get through this together!

I had second thoughts too. I am the most skeptical person in the world and I was like, "I'll believe this works when I see it." It'll work for everyone else except me. I've been overweight all my life and really had a hard time imagining myself thin and healthy. I thought I was gonna upchuck the day of my surgery, even as they wheeled me in I thought, "What the heck am I doing?" :eek:

I'm so glad I did it. I decided that I was nervous as I am entering an unknown. I've been big for so long (almost 25 years) that it's hard to picture myself living a life I've never known. But I deserve it dammit. I've never been married before either, haven't had many dates, but I'm hoping to change all that!

I'm getting my life back!! Reclaiming the sucker!! And now that I've accepted the change I'm actually excited! The thought of buying clothes from a regular store. The thought of going to the amusement park and being able to ride anything! The thought of being able to do anything without being so easily exhausted!! My new world will be limitless!! It's within my grasp and I'm going to reach that goal!! :clap2:

Nervousness is normal...just shake it off and know that you are doing for you one of the best things you can!! One of the best gifts in the world!! GET EXCITED!!:whoo:

Just close your eyes and get through it. I had the exact same reaction, despite having done the research and knowing it was the right thing. It just starts to seem real when you get close to the date.

It's the right thing. You're going to be so glad you did it. Just get through it and you'll be on the road to being a new person!

New bander,

hi, I am also scheduled for surgery in july on the 25th. I have thought many times about backing out, but then thinking about my life without the band. I have to go for it!!! It is scary, but it will be worth it in the end... Good luck..

I'm scheduled for July 24th and I'm having the willies, too. I spent several hours this weekend reading academic literature (medical journals) about the efficiacy of the Lap Band, and it was all consistent with what my surgeon told me -- that the band works in nearly everyone who tries it. Only a small minority have trouble, and, of course, that's the beauty of the band, that it is reversible. I'm apprehensive about the 2 week liquid diet before and after, but somehow I'll get through it. I feel like I did on the way to the hospital to have my first child -- that life will never be the same again. Thank heaven!

It normal to be nervous about any surgery but I was ready for this one and never had a second thought about it. Make a list of the pros and cons and you'll discover WHY you decided to move forward.

I had second thoughts. And third thoughts. And eight million six hundred and eighty seventh thoughts.

Hell, as I was laying down on the table in my little gown, I was thinking "I can still back out....."

It's perfectly normal.

Just....{{{{{hugs}}}}}

You are gonna do great!!!!!!

This is all normal. I had a major breakdown 2 days prior to surgery so I understand where you are coming from. Just take it slow and once you have surgery you will have an entirely new outlook. Although I've just lost 12 lbs since June 6th I know my old eating habit sometimes still get the best of me. Exercise is another subject. We all need support and understanding and I know that this takes time to understand the band and to allow ourselves the will to use it the way it was intended. Good luck.

I think we all experience this one. I know I did and as it got closer to the surgery date, kept thinking I can do this on my own, I don't need surgery I just need to try a little harder, exercise more, etc. I also know myself well enough to know that without help, it was not going to get better, that next year I'd be 20 + pounds heavier, then another 20+ pounds heavier the year after that and so on. I came to the realization that I need help. It's hard to admit to yourself that you can't do it on your own, that you need help and I hate to ask for help but you know that you can't do the things you used to be able to do, you can't fit in the seats at the movies or dinner, you can't walk without breathing heavily, you're tired of the looks and comments from other people and you want and need to change and that this is going to help you get healthy. We are all afraid of the unknown but even more afraid of continuing on the same path we can't seem to get off of. This experience has been great for me and I wouldn't change a thing (except getting in done years ago). Good luck to you in your quest!!!!

I've got three weeks to go till my surgery. Actually because a family member is squimish, I am now calling it an Installation.

Right now I am not nervous. Weight has been a burden my entire life. The fear of surgery is nothing compared to living the rest of my life like this. It's nothing compared to the kind of death I will have as an obease person. Another family member of mine is 450lbs. He refuses to do anything. He is in his fifties, diabetic and waiting to die. He feels pain everyday. Given the choice, I will take surgery please.

Just keep what will be in your mind. Focus on the life you want. Picture buying the clothes you want off the rack. Or going to the beach and not standing out. Picture what ever that thing you want is, and remember that it is worth more then living this way.

I scheduled my surgery date for July 12, 2006. I will be moving it back indef. I am so nervous / scared right now. I too feel like such a loser. I am sacred to share my feeling with anyone. Scared of what they would think. $15000.00 is a lot of money. I know everyone will think I am crazy. But I hate my size....... I diagnosed myself with depression last night so I think I will treat that first. Then I will decide on the surgery. I need more time. I lost weight numberous times but I always gain it back. For once I would like to lose weight and not regain it back.

I was just banded June 20th and as much as I wanted this surgery I was thinking I might cancel lol - I'd never had any kind of surgery before so this was a MAJOR thing for me.

It's also the best thing I've ever done for myself !!!! I've lost 11lbs in two weeks.

I can't say that I'm never hungry - but I can tell you that about a cup of food fills me up.

And I can't imagine ever regretting this decision.

it's normal to be nervous, but believe it or not, you'll wonder why you were when you're on the other side of surgery and with the band :clap2:

howdy

i'm right there with you babyjess 15000 is a lot of teeth to clean (i'm a dental hyg. and the surg. wll be self pay) but this is for me i've tried every diet you can think of and i've always lost wieght but then after abouit six months my willpower is gone, but i'm tired of fighting this battle by myself so i'm looking forward to having my new weapon (the band). maybe with the new tool i'll be able to beat this fight.