Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I wanted to say "HI" and tell a little about me. I have to admit I'm a little nervous so please bear with me :) I had the lap band placed August 2002 by Dr. Phillip Schauer at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (he has since moved on but I still follow with the practice). It did very well for me up until about 2-3 years ago ( I went from pre-op wt 263/ surg wt 240/ lowest wt 173. I felt the best ever at that weight. I started to learn how to eat around the band and slowly began putting the weight back on. Then about a year ago I got pretty sick (vomiting) which required hospitalization. I was afraid that my band had slipped. But the medical team didn't seem too concerned. I had a CT done at that time but somehow it got "lost" and I was lost to follow up. Well, I went back for a fill in Feb 2011 and they did an upper GI (Yuk!). This showed that my band slipped and was no longer functioning properly. I could have told them that when I gained all of the weight back! Anyway, My new surgeon, Dr. George Eid from the same practice, said that I would need to choose which of three surgeries I would need done. Either band revision, bypass, or something relatively new they have been doing called Sleeve gastrectomy. He said that I would be a good candidate for sleeve but that they haven't had much luck with insurance approval with my type of insurance (cash is not an option at this time), but that they would submit and push for the sleeve. So, I went home to think and do much research.

I didn't want a lap revision since I've about had it with fills, etc. Bypass seemed too extreme for me. The more I researched, I found I really wanted the sleeve. I wasn't sure what I would choose once I got the call from the Dr wanting my decision fully expecting the sleeve to be denied. To my surprise, THE SLEEVE WAS APPROVED!! So they will do a lap removal to sleeve revision. Wow! I wasn't expecting that and had mixed feelings. I want to have weight loss surgery very much (i'm tired of being fat) but am TERRIFIED of anesthesia. I keep telling myself that I did it once, I can do it again. Also, I don't have much of a support system since I am divorced since my band. I have a wonderful >18 yr old son who is very supportive but hate the thought of him having to care for me even for just a week. The docs called me end of March with the good news stating they could do the surgery April 14th! Everything seemed to be happening so fast. I wasn't ready so soon. My son would not be done with college until first week of May, so I had to schedule for when he was home to take care of me and to make arrangements with work for 4 weeks off. My surgery date is May 12th.

I have mixed feelings and don't know why. I am excited to start my life over again with my new weight loss journey but at the same time have a healthy respect for what's to come. I feel I have very experienced surgeon who is ranked among the highest in the nation. So my fears don't rest in that department. I still have to have my pre-op testing (labs, EKG, endoscopy, PCP, xray, Gyne). I hope all goes well so I don't have to postpone. I'm sure I'm not alone with my feelings but would sure appreciate any encouragment and/or advice.

Thanks for being patient with me :)

Just wanted to answer quickly to welcome you and give you hugs of encouragement - I'll answer thoroughly when I'm on my computer tomorrow as it's harder in bed on my iPad! I'm having my surgery sometime in the next month so we can encourage each other.

I had my Sleeve done 3/28/11 and was at the park walking my dog that Friday...oh i did walk around the block Thursday and now i am full steam ahead. My mom came and stayed with me and i really only needed her those 1st 2 days after surgery. Good luck with everything. The Sleeve is the best decision I have ever made!!

Just wanted to answer quickly to welcome you and give you hugs of encouragement - I'll answer thoroughly when I'm on my computer tomorrow as it's harder in bed on my iPad! I'm having my surgery sometime in the next month so we can encourage each other.

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea :)

I had my Sleeve done 3/28/11 and was at the park walking my dog that Friday...oh i did walk around the block Thursday and now i am full steam ahead. My mom came and stayed with me and i really only needed her those 1st 2 days after surgery. Good luck with everything. The Sleeve is the best decision I have ever made!!

Wow! That definitely gives me something to look forward to. Thanks for the input. My dog would love to go outdoors and walk again. I can't wait :D