Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

F'd by lapband BIGTIME!

I went into my surgery yesterday (April 4th) knowing there was a possibility I wouldn't get my sleeve since I've had that horrid contraption (lapband) for nearly 5 years which never really helped me lose any weight. But when my doc told me the extent of damage that had been done I just had to wonder "How in the world is this legal to implant in people?" and I understood why I'd been feeling like total CRAP for so long. I wish I had gotten that thing out of me sooner. Now I'm stuck with permanant scarring around my stomach and since my sh**-for-brains lapand doc placed it so low on my stomach it's shaped like an hour glass with a fairly large pouch at the top. I'm so dissappointed; my doc said the only op he would do on me now is the RNY. I'm just not willing or desparate enough to try that yet. So I'm sitting here in pain from surgery and scared I'm going to start gaining again. I hope writing this helps to save someone from getting the lapband; do yourself a favor and go straight for the sleeve, the band is a lie, it doesn't help - it hurts, and their claim that it is reversible - BS!!!!! And by the way the GERD I've been suffering from since being banded was instantly relieved by getting it removed. I'm sorry to be so pissy but I'm really angry that the lapband is still being put into people. Thanks for reading and I want to thank everyone on here for the hours and hours of education I've received. I'm not giving up; I'll probably try Weight Watchers or something and I'm going to keep getting scoped to see if the scarring has stretched enough to allow a sleeve. TTFN

I am so sorry to hear this. I know 2 friends of mine that have serious damage as well.One will probably end up with esophageal cancer I am so glad I had that thing out as soon as I could

I did lose a lot of weight with it but I would have gained it all back because I had to stay completely unfilled because of the problems. I gained 15 back waiting for sleeve surgery.

I'm so sorry you're going through this but at least you have the common sense to tell everbody what might happen to them. I hope you can eventually get the sleeve, in the meantime take care!

I'm so sorry to read of the permanent damage you're left with after the band. It's stories like yours that never get out to other people, and are always just brushed under the rugs. I'll keep you in my thoughts, and hope you can revise to the sleeve in the future.

They will no longer do the lap band where I live, haven't done for a while now. Though it's not officially outlawed, the bariatric community just refuse to offer it anymore because of problems vs successes.

Sorry to hear you have had such a time of it. I hope you are glad at least to get the reflux behind you!

I am so sorry this has happened. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

There are a lot of revision lap-banders here and we all are so sorry to hear about the damage you sustained. I am also furious when I see lap-band ads or "medical" shows discussing lap-band. The real problems are never discussed with any sincerity - especially the reversable claim.

I would also recommend that you get a second opinion on your damage and possibility for a sleeve - it seems that if they can do an RnY, they can do a sleeve?

Take the time to heal and take care of yourself. You will get better!!!

Lara

Thank you all for the well-wishes; this board is such a blessing! I'm so sore today; they spent an hour inside me cutting out adhesions and scar tissue so I guess I should expect to be sore. Tiffykins and I share the same surgeon, Dr Michel; I trust his decision, he said that I may still have quite a bit of restriction due to the very narrow scarring (picture an hour glass). It is that narrow scarring that didn't leave enough tissue to create a sleeve; I'm praying that it will eventually stretch just enough to get a sleeve in there. It was the perfect set-up for an RNY with the pouch on top all they would have to do is cut off the narrow scarring, hook up the intestines then Voila! another nutritional deficiency case walking out the door. It sounds like Swizzly lives in a place of good values and common sense; I wish all bariatric surgeons would ban the band! And I can say my quality of life is much improved without the horrible GERD!! I will still be scanning this board looking for people who are trying to decide whether to get the band or sleeve, you can bet I'll be chiming-in with my opinion. Whether you all know it or not, you are my friends that I turn to for a pick-me-up; I know I can always count on being inspired by someone or something said on here so Thank You! I hope to be telling an inspirational story of my own someday (soon I hope).

I was originally going to get the lap band, but then I was reading the complications from people and I got scared. It is great to get your story out there to help others avoid the misfortune you have had to deal with. I went on to get the sleeve as my first WLS and I thank everyone who posted a complication to scare me away from that damn lap band.

You and your stomach are in my thoughts. I hope your good deed is paid forward and you can get the sleeve.

AutumnLily I'm so glad you were scared of the band; 5 years ago people weren't brave enough to tell the truth about the band. They were probably afraid they were the only one with a problem or they might have been told "It's your own fault" like my band doc told me. He told me I wasn't chewing enough; I asked him "How many times do I need to chew a Protein Shake? !". I've puked everyday for the last 4 years and 7 months and believe me I want to post advertisements on billboards to get the word out about the band. Congratulations on your success with the sleeve, you are doing fabulous! Thank you so much for your good thoughts and I'll update when I get scoped in 3 months. Until then keep workin' that sleeve!

My Surgeon, Dr. Oakley will NOT perform Lap Band surgery on anyone anymore.

I haven't had my sleeve done yet (the 26th of April - 20 more days!). But there are three surgeons at my facility (a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence) and only one doc still has the Lap Band as an option.

Dr. Oakley is the head of Bariatric's here and explained in the first seminar why he refuses to do them...Lots of reasons, but mainly that they were ineffective, required constant adjustment and it is a "Foreign Body" in your body that can cause damage...

I hope everything works out for you - my father is a PCP and had the RNY done 4 years ago - he has no complaints.

Take care,

I'm so sorry that you are so messed up from the Crap Band! Maybe you will be like me, I had to wait 12 weeks before they would even consider doing a sleeve on me, and in that time, my tummy healed back to normal! I had loads of adhesions, even on my liver an a HUGE ulcer (from stress) that they had to remove! By the time the 12 weeks were up and my insurance DENIED me, Dr Aceves said my tummy was just like a virgin tummy! Give it some time, I gained back 30 pounds in that 12 weeks, but I had no restriction after week 4. and boy were those huge sandwiches good! LOL!!! And I started drinking Coke again. Just be mindful of what you are consuming and your weight may just stay the same!

Good luck to you, I'll keep you in my prayers, they usually work really well!

Patti

Thank you all for the well-wishes; this board is such a blessing! I'm so sore today; they spent an hour inside me cutting out adhesions and scar tissue so I guess I should expect to be sore. Tiffykins and I share the same surgeon, Dr Michel; I trust his decision, he said that I may still have quite a bit of restriction due to the very narrow scarring (picture an hour glass). It is that narrow scarring that didn't leave enough tissue to create a sleeve; I'm praying that it will eventually stretch just enough to get a sleeve in there. It was the perfect set-up for an RNY with the pouch on top all they would have to do is cut off the narrow scarring, hook up the intestines then Voila! another nutritional deficiency case walking out the door. It sounds like Swizzly lives in a place of good values and common sense; I wish all bariatric surgeons would ban the band! And I can say my quality of life is much improved without the horrible GERD!! I will still be scanning this board looking for people who are trying to decide whether to get the band or sleeve, you can bet I'll be chiming-in with my opinion. Whether you all know it or not, you are my friends that I turn to for a pick-me-up; I know I can always count on being inspired by someone or something said on here so Thank You! I hope to be telling an inspirational story of my own someday (soon I hope).

I seriously LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Dr. Michel and Dr. Riley ! ! ! At my last appointment, Dr. M said he was moving away from doing the band, and it put a huge smile on my face because when I went for my revision consult, he initially only wanted to do a port revision. Of course, I refused, and got VSG.

Stay in touch, and let me know if you need anything, I'm literally here for ya ! ! !

You gals are the best of the best; how can I feel defeated with all of this support?! Patti it sounds like you and I had similar damage; were you told you had permanant scarring? It gives me such hope to know that you were able to get your sleeve after suffering damage. And Tiffykins, I wholeheartedly agree, Dr Michel is worth his weight in gold. I found out that Dr M might get orders to MacDill soon, in about 6 months, so I really want to get my sleeve ASAP if I'm able to get one. I haven't met Dr Riley but I was told that he stood in to assist with my band removal so at least he's familiar with my case. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and I'm putting all my worries in God's hands! Bless you all and Thank you so much!

My band caused me extreme pain, so I feel for you and I am so so sorry. I really hope that your stomach will heal and that you can get the sleeve in the future. I wish all these complications would be told to patients before getting the band. I know I would have NEVER had my band had I know of all the horrible side effects. Hugs and we are always here for you.