Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just started mushies yesterday afternoon and I am just wondering if it is normal to feel full after only like 4 bites? I ate 1.5 oz of salmon yesterday and was sooooo (miserable) full. Last night and today I ate like 3 bites of pureed chicken w/ BBQ Sauce and 1 bite of mashed potatoes. Are my bites too big or am I going too fast? I chew every bite until it pretty much melts away so I know I am chewing long enough........

Also, if this is right, how am I getting enough calories in? Will I get more weak if I don't?

Do you have a Protein drink that you like? It's very common to have to supplement with a Protein Drink until you are able to eat more.

Yes, what you're experiencing is normal. Gradually, you will be able to eat more.

I was going to say the same thing about needing Protein to make sure you get enough since the capacity is so small.

I'm in Redwood City! We should have an SF area get together some time! Maybe to taste all the many samples of Protein drinks I have acquired...

I may be sleeved as soon as two weeks from now.

I am pretty sure I am getting enough Protein as I drink my shake every morning and that has about 56 grams just by itself and then anything I eat is protein and I get so full so fast that the protein part of the meal is all I end up eating. Today I ate half of a hard boiled egg for lunch and I was totally done. I had a class and wasn't even hungry until like 10 pm after I got out - totally missed dinner but I ate a half of a greek yogurt just now before bed.

I have heard that you can't absorb more than 25-30 grams of Protein at once. There are different thoughts on that as far as just how many grams of protein you can absorb at once.

Your eating volume sounds about right - I am 1 month out and I can eat 2 oz of food consistently. It may be more than 4 bites because I am taking really small bites and it takes about 20 minutes for me to eat that little bit of food.< /p>

Everybody says we'll be able to eat more in a few months :-) I eat about 6 times a day to average about 700 calories. I can't stomach the Protein drinks, so I eat Protein dense food several times a day.

Hang in there--

Lara

Your eating volume sounds about right - I am 1 month out and I can eat 2 oz of food consistently. It may be more than 4 bites because I am taking really small bites and it takes about 20 minutes for me to eat that little bit of food.< /p>

Everybody says we'll be able to eat more in a few months :-) I eat about 6 times a day to average about 700 calories. I can't stomach the Protein drinks, so I eat Protein dense food several times a day.

Hang in there--

Lara

I am in the same boat as you it seems. I had my surgery 03/18/2011 and I can only eat 4 to 5 bites of mushies before i am totally stuffed. And even though I take an acid reducer every day......as soon as I am done eating my little 4 to 5 bites of food, I get heartburn and sometimes a watery mouth like I've just eaten a ton of food! My best friend on the other hand, who had surgery the same day as me, can eat more and doesn't have the bad heartburn afterward. I was beginning to think that something was wrong with me as compared to others who are eating 5 and 6 times a day. What shake are you drinking that has 56 grams of Protein by the way? I am having a hard time getting protein in with only a few bites of food about twice a day ........three times at the most because I stay feeling full for soooooo long!

Thanks for the encouragement and reassurance Lara :)

Saved, I mix two scoops of the vanilla Isopure with about 8-10 oz of Soy milk. I can't stand the taste some days so i also add a little sugar free Torani Syrup to flavor it. I believe the Isopure is 50gm for two scoops and the Protein in my soy milk (8th Continent) is 6-8 grams depending on how much I use. It takes me about one and a half to two hours to drink it. My heartburn is wicked evil if I don't take my pill about 10 minutes before I eat or drink. I have also noticed that some Crystal light will make my heartburn act up too which it wasn't a problem before. I am on famotidine and everyone here says to get on a PPI but when I asked my doctor, he just said to stay on the famotidine and see how that goes. I wonder why - maybe it has something to do with PPI's absorbing your Calcium? I dunno.............................. if anyone does, feel free to comment.

I think that MOST of us DON'T eat "enough" at first, it just goes with the territory of having 85% of your stomach taken out. It gets better and you'll be able to eat more after a month or so. We all have plenty of reserves to get through this initial phase. Just stick with it, as long as you are still losing, have enough energy and are satisfied you're eating enough.